The Phantom Menace "Super-Ultimate" Edition

robthehand

OK, I'm stuck on elvisjones' arrangement for TPM.

There are several things I don't undertstand:

track 6j is used several times, with no timings - surely this wasn't intended this way? :?

Also, with some tracks like "Anakin Destroys The Federation Ship", the instructions seem to contradict the mp3 samples.

Can someone help me please?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anakin destroys federation ship: UE version -> film version

sqreactor.imc -> alternate version (i wouldnt superimpose them)

Track 6j Gungan march: this should be easy to spot, it is a highly percissive cue

Track 6j Opening chord: the opening part of the cue

Track 6j seque between 14 and 15: hear 14 and 15 and try to locate the missing part

Sorry i cant give track times ;)

OK, I'm going through the whole thing, and I'm still running into problems. :oops:

For the track "sqdanger1" (part of "The Droid Invasion"), exactly where do I put this? I know its at 1:46 in the OST track, but there are two chords there, and one shortly after. Can someone give me an exact time please?

There was a mistake with sqdanger1. It doesn't actually belong there. The real end of The Droid Invasion is sqfight5. Towards the end of the file is the beginning of the chunk of music. You'll be able to spot it where the transition is. This chunk was composed for a deleted scene with Obi-Wan in the Naboo swamp. If you can't spot it, I'll look up the exact times for you.

Thanks, Delorean90.

OK, I've finished looking through it, and these are my problems:

Is TPM sqtheedattack.imc really supposed to go at 1:47 in UE Track 13? I would have guessed it was supposed to go at 1:26.

Is it just me, or is “Hit the Nose!” a bit of a bizarre key change if placed at 1:00 in “Padmé Meets Anakin”?

* Neither JPB track 6j and 5b, or TPM sqsuccess1 are available on Skylark’s FTP (and I don’t plan on buying the games just for the music) and TPM sqfightmaul2 seems to be incomplete.

For the Super Ultimate Edition Cd 2 Track 15, it says it starts with OST Track 5 (0:00-) – there is no end time for this track. The sample provided starts off nothing like OST Track 5 starts off.

I presume that for for Super-UE CD 2 Track 16, only the section of OST Track 15 (2:17-End) is meant to be used, not the whole thing – that’s the impression I got from the samples.

I haven't tackled the Battle of Naboo yet, but I'll see what I can work out.

Is TPM sqtheedattack.imc really supposed to go at 1:47 in UE Track 13? I would have guessed it was supposed to go at 1:26.

Yeah, you've got it. You can also use a JPB file, but I forgot which one it is. Also, sqtheedstalk (0:57...+sqtheedstalkend) goes in at 1:23 of that track--delete the UE music from there to 1:26.

Is it just me, or is “Hit the Nose!” a bit of a bizarre key change if placed at 1:00 in “Padmé Meets Anakin”?

Yep. It's supposed to go in at 1:10.

* Neither JPB track 6j and 5b, or TPM sqsuccess1  are available on Skylark’s FTP (and I don’t plan on buying the games just for the music) and TPM sqfightmaul2 seems to be incomplete.

Send me a PM. I can help you with some of that. I forgot what the story is with sqfightmaul2. I know there's an sqfightmaul2end, but I think something's supposed to go between them.

For the Super Ultimate Edition Cd 2 Track 15, it says it starts with OST Track 5 (0:00-) – there is no end time for this track. The sample provided starts off nothing like OST Track 5 starts off.

That's a typo. The actual clip is OST Track 5 (0:19-end).

I am finally getting around to tackling this project as well...

Doesn't anyone have a list of all the clean beginnings and endings that are available?

I'd love to listen to some of the work you guys are doing or have done...This is a real bitch of a problem.

Also...has anyone compiled a list of all the alternates, or even reconstructed the alternate cues?

Thanks...

The Battle of Naboo in the UE contain the atrocious film edits.There are videogame cues with unedited unreleased music to sort of fix up that part of the score,combining it with some parts of the original 1 disk OST and the UE itself.I'm stuck at the Battle of Naboo and I'm too lazy to figure it out.

K.M.Who put back Anakin Defeats Sebulba in the pod race last night,as it is in the Battle of Naboo in the UE.

Also...has anyone compiled a list of all the alternates, or even reconstructed the alternate cues?

Thanks...

As far as i can tell there are:

'Escape from Naboo' with drums all over the cue (you can get this from TPM game and battlegrounds)

'The Sith Spacecraft' without the sith whispers, and another can be reconstructed with the droid in mos espa segment from the UE (just before the flag parade) and from TPM game a tense chord that is the same as the one heard in that droid music. This chord i think is an alternate for the droids leaving to the cities in 'The Sith Spacecraft'

'Encounter in the Desert' (from TPM game) minor variations in some intruments, may just be a not definitive rehearshal.

'Gungan March' 4 versions:

Original(?): highly percussive

Film version (from UE)

Film version without gungan horns (from OST)

Alternate version with more/more prominent cymbal clashes

'Duel of the Fates Intrumental' (opening phrases from Qui-gons's noble end from OST and rest from Battlegrounds) It is not complete and you can make a shorter version, if you put the ending music from the chorus version (the end does not have chorus)

'Anakin is shot down' (from TPM Game) Has some disonant flutes in the begining, similar to ones in the Quigon-Maul duel and similar also to the opening of the next cue.

'Anakin destroys federation ship' i already mentioned it above (in other post)

The "Super-Ultimate Edition" track list doesn't have times for the videogame music. You're supposed to infer what section to use... should be very obvious most of the time, but if not, we can answer your questions.

* Neither JPB track 6j and 5b, or TPM sqsuccess1 are available on Skylark’s FTP (and I don’t plan on buying the games just for the music) and TPM sqfightmaul2 seems to be incomplete.

The track titles are a little different at the FTP. 6j is listed as 6d, and 5b is probably listed as 5a or 5c. I split the tracks up according to, well, when they ended, as near as I could tell. Elvisjones apparently did it differently.

'Anakin is shot down' (from TPM Game) Has some disonant flutes in the begining, similar to ones in the Quigon-Maul duel and similar also to the opening of the next cue.

The manic woodwind phrases are the same as the ones in "Qui-Gon's Noble End," just much higher in volume. I think they are an overdub intended for "Qui-Gon's Noble End" (and that's where they were placed). They were omitted from the album, though, and the videogame designers decided to mix them with "Anakin's Crash Landing."

I'm confused.  The UE soundtrack has all the music from the movie.  What are you guys talking about?

Welcome to the NG, Demodex :music: You see, the Ultimate-Edition of TPM is well, lacking. Severely lacking. It's a dishonest to John Williams and his talent. It's just some people taking the movie, and extracting an "isolated soundtrack" out of it. Since George Lucas is known to editing the music really badly in the prequels, what you have in the UE is something that many of us just can't listen to anymore. So we search to the best of our capabilities to re-arrange it the way John created the music.

Sure it's great, you have all the stuff that's incredible from John here. I don't put down his music, au contraire!!! It's his best score in years. But hey whenever I put it, I can hear at least a DOZEN edits in the 5 first minutes after the scroll. Notes are doubled, time is stretched, the pitch is lowered/highered, time is sped-up, notes are cut out, the tempo and time signatures are completely botchered because of that. It's like that... ALL throughout the 2CD. It gets worse, pathetically, during the Battle of Naboo. Or during the PodRace, where we don't hear the correct music but a tracked version from another part of the movie that's completely out of place.

The people are Sony didn't understand that when we asked for a complete edition of Johnny's work for Episode 1 (there were polls conducted on the internet by them back in those days), we asked for Johnny's complete work as heard in the Abbey Road studio when they recorded the tracks. Like every other "expanded" version of his works.

Why didn't they understand? Because they didn't care, and they weren't true soundtrack fans like other labels are. It's a shame that we will NEVER truly hear Johnny's work like it should be.

It's a shame that we will NEVER truly hear Johnny's work like it should be.

What on earth makes you say that? People had to wait 20 years for a complete Star Wars score didn't they - but they got it... eventually? What makes you say NEVER?

I think GL way not want us to know what he really did to the score...

The manic woodwind phrases are the same as the ones in "Qui-Gon's Noble End," just much higher in volume. I think they are an overdub intended for "Qui-Gon's Noble End" (and that's where they were placed). They were omitted from the album, though, and the videogame designers decided to mix them with "Anakin's Crash Landing.

YAAARGH! I thought it was an alternate :music: Now i will have to delete it since i must have it duplicated!. But it was so great...

I like the UE because it features a lot of otherwise unavailable material.

I hate the UE for being filled with some of the worst edits you can think of. Yugh!

Opposition in all things, Mr. B.... :wave:

I like the UE because I want to listen the movie's soundtrack.  Not listen to music that isn't part of the film.

For me, the worst edit is "The Droid Invasion" - the ending now sounds completely random on the UE.

It's really why TPM gets very little playing time here. I think the score's one of John's greatest, but the OST is a mess, and the UE is filled with horrific edits. I just can't listen to it comfortably.

- Marc, who wants an SE-like release.

I like the UE because I want to listen the movie's soundtrack.  Not listen to music that isn't part of the film.

I weep for you. :cry:

Neil

So what are you doing here? If you say this, you have to take about ALL your Williams CD's and throw them out. Special Editions of the original Star Wars movies. Superman. Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Fury. CEot3K, E.T., AI Promo, etc... You can't listen to them like you said. ALL of Johnny's disc are what we hear when Johnny went into a studios and recorded live with an orchestra. Yes they are edited for time content, but it's not edited for the movies. Sometimes they are recorded again especially for the CD. They conserve the same *original* tempo, melodies and pitch like John Williams intended the music to be.

Why would you want to hear pitched up music? Out of tempo, slowed down and stretched notes? Cut out notes (if you listen to the complete tracks you'll understand) that mess up any time structure in the music? It makes no sense, anybody who enjoys orchestral music CANNOT listen to this and go "I'm satisfied, I don't want to hear the original version".

Is there any other edited-crapness like the TPM UE in Johnny's discography? NO!

It IS possible,with the sources available,namely the OST,the UE and other cues in the videogames,to make an almost complete score as Williams originally recorded it,though I suspect some alternates and unused music still exist that we never heard before.

K.M.

Okay...so who here has done their own edits of TPM...I'm expecting...quite a few

I jus got Elvsijones version and adapted tracks in a SE way, and added some small tidbits i found from TPM game.

OK, I've got another problem (sorry! :oops:):

Delorean90 said that "sqdanger1" as part of "The Droid Invasion", should in fact be "sqfight5". But sqfight5 is used in the Super-UE CD 2 Track 13. How does this work?

The manic woodwind phrases are the same as the ones in "Qui-Gon's Noble End," just much higher in volume. I think they are an overdub intended for "Qui-Gon's Noble End" (and that's where they were placed). They were omitted from the album, though, and the videogame designers decided to mix them with "Anakin's Crash Landing."

OK, I may have completely misunderstood this, but this means that we shouldn't include the first 0:11 of sqgripping1, right?

Again, I may have completely misunderstood this.

Right. Shouldn't include. It's just an overdub by the game designers.

Delorean90 said that "sqdanger1" as part of "The Droid Invasion", should in fact be "sqfight5". But sqfight5 is used in the Super-UE CD 2 Track 13. How does this work?

Sqfight5 should not be in the Battle of Naboo section. Just use the film version of "The Battle Begins," supplying pieces from JPB 4a to cover the cut beats. Then continue with the cue "Laser Fight March" (JPB 5b), using musGEO_jwbattle05B_lp.mp3 from Republic Commando and sqplayerdeath from TPM to end it (to understand how this edit works, watch the beheading of Jango Fett in AotC). Of course, this disrupts the order of Super-Ultimate Track 14. Basically, skip JPB 5b here, seguing from "The Hangar Battle" to "The Duel Begins" as in OST Track 12.