since we all like music here. . . .

Ren

the threads that have been showing me all the differents genres of music everyone loves here. It's got me thinking.

If we all like these random movies and songs, and some don't even have to do with JW, what did people think of Moulin Rouge?

Now, I've told you before, I'm always behind the times and never see things when they first come out. So, you may have chatted this to death before. But I'm curious, What did everyone here think of Moulin Rouge in terms of acting, directing, and music?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The singing in MR is abysmal, but I like the whole showmanship of the film.

Niclole Kidman is great, but I have begun to seriously dislike the young Obi-Wan Ewen Mac. There is something about his presence that I just don't like. But I don't let him ruin the film. Its a very good movie, not worthy of best picture. It reminds me of Xanadu in a quirky unreal way. And unlike Morn, I don't mind when they burst out in song, it is afterall a musical.

Of course I measure every modern musical against the last great film musical, Victor/Victoria, and MR doesn't quite measure up against that film, but on its own merits its fine. If MR can help bring other musicals to the screen, then it is a good thing.

Well, I definitely thought the direction was outstanding. I thought the acting was very good, and hey I really liked the music too. Now I know that the stars are no opera singers, but I'm really impressed with their ability. When you get right down to it, it's amazing that they can hold a tune. Sometimes you forget that actors and actresses can do other things too. I'm so glad they didn't dub over Nicole's and Ewan's and cast's voices with professional singers. I think it's all about just letting loose and doing it. It's a difficult medium (musicals) to cross over to the big screen and be really successful. And I think the population is just pleased that the cast can sing. I mean, they aren't THAT bad. They aren't good, but they aren't bad. I can listen to them and not cringe. :sigh:

On the whole it was an incredible spectacle. Both Acting and Directing was fantastic. Baz was completely snubbed out of the oscars. How can you nominate that film for best picture without nominating the director. The whole thing was his vision, the two awards were so linked for that film! The singing was great. Please, there are hundreds of claimed pop singers who couldn't hold a tune next to them. They don;t even claim to be singers and they did a fine job! I loved it, one of the best films of that year.... Incidently, who saw Amelie? French film, very funny, great cinematography and acting

Baz Lurhmann is greatly under-appreciated.

Amelie - I saw the DVD for that the other day, I hadn't heard of it before.

Did Moulin Rouge win anything other than Best Costuming? I can't remember

I think the movie was worth it for the "Elephant Love Medley". That's the best ballad ever, along with Elton John's "Your Song" which has here its most beautiful rendition (McGregor outdoes John).

Nicole Kidman is gorgeous, yet fragile, just the role demands her to be. It's a pity she's not as good as in "The Others" but then again this is not the average role to play. Ewan McGregor is great: "This is a story about love. The woman I loved is now dead . . . . ."

John Leguizamo's character annoyed me. And the Duke bore such a striking resemblance to David Spade that it removed me from the film with his scenes. But it's a really interesting villain.

The rest of the movie is great. I love the finale (Come what may . . . . .) and the David Bowie intro: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return . . . . . .

-ROSS, who owns both MR CD's, and loves track 4 in CD 2 (I just forgot the track title: Spectacular, Spectacular was it?)

I've no desire to see this film. It's been rammed down my throat by too many people as brilliant and amazing and too much hooplah for something that interests me little.

Also, I was forced to listen to the horribly raped and twisted version of "The Show Must Go On," by Queen. The original is very personal and emotional to me and I have no desire to EVER hear that travesty again.

-Strilo

:devil: Roland Orzabal, "Hey Andy"

I thought Moulin ROge was a great and brave film. Since it got nominated for so many academy awards, I thought it was pretty scandalous it was nominated in the best director category, probably the oscar it deserved the most.

oh! I thought the Duke looked like David Spade too! I'm glad it wasn't him though.

And for those who hate it with out seeing it....it's ok. I understand.

I heard way too much stuff and had to wait for my own time to see it. I was very open minded. I started watching it and I was like what the $(*#$%! "The Sound of Music" wasn't written in 1899! And the camera effects annoyed me. But I willed myself to keep watching....

I LOVED IT and bought both cd's and the dvd and Romeo and Juliet as well.

I thought the movie was ok, over the top love stories, musicals, dancing and utter crazyness don't really do it for me.

I'm impressed at how many people had an open mind and liked the film. I've heard so many stories about how people just watched 5 minutes and walked out.

I sat through it and LOVED it.

Art Direction

It's a great DVD. Well made. Well worth it. nice easter eggs too.

Love story was so-so....But everything else, especially the dance sequences were fabulous.

Hey Ren!

iconKTplaid.gif

I don't know why but when I saw this pic, I thought of you.

Maybe cuz you're a music teacher and all.....

i found some unmentionables too... :shakehead: :oops:

Art Direction

Even though LOTR should have won both :nod:

To this day, I still believe Moulin Rouge is a very daring film. But it's not that great, and certainly was only deserving of its Best Picture nomination because of its costumes, set design and music choices.

Baz, on the other hand, needs to take some Ritalin. The film lacked focus. It didn't know what type of film to be. I enjoyed the very exuberant, frantic pace of the first 40 minutes or so (right to the end of "Elephant Love Medley"), then it does a 180 and becomes a love story and an uninteresting tragedy ("cough, cough" -- oh, no, I'm coughing up blood!).:roll: True, this is a modern opera, but the love relationship wasn't viable enough for me. It wasn't explored fully enough to take me to the emotions I was supposed to feel at the end.

I had expectations that were probably too high to enjoy this film on first viewing. But the second and third time I saw it, nothing changed. Still badly paced, and the onlyconstantly enjoyable parts were when Ewan sang. What an incredible voice he has.

Jeff, who is still waiting for that film that will revive the musical genre -- and, as a side note, thinks that Amelie should have replaced MR as a Best Picture nominee

To this day, I still believe Moulin Rouge is a very daring film.

That is one of the few reasons for my respect of it.

I don't really agree with the Ritalin remark. That is a style of film art. That reflects the pace of the underworld, that reflects the pace of today.

And the tragically doomed romance - so be it! I mean, many people died of consumption. So they didn't make it out to be a huge deal.

When I made the Ritalin remark, I wasn't talking about the freneticness of the Moulin Rouge. I said it because Baz couldn't hold focus long enough for us to get an idea of what his film is about. Films aren't made just to be seen; they're also supposed to tell a coherent story.

I have next to no desire to see this film, but I am very impressed with the actor Jim Broadbent, whom I had seen before in Bullets Over Broadway and Topsy-Turvy, but due to his chameleonic personality, did not begin to take notice of him until this past year, when he appeared in Bridget Jones's Diary and Iris. I saw the trailer for Moulin Rouge, so I know he has a supporting role in that, as well. Tell me, is he in the film enough that it would merit watching -- for someone who ordinarily hates films that pull that kind of anachronistic pop bullshit, I mean?

Figo, for whom Moulin Rouge will always mean Jose Ferrer, John Huston, and a wonderful score by Georges Auric.

anachronistic pop bullshit

:jump:

But yes, if you love that actor, you must see the film. If you don't mind suffering it that is :)

I can't believe people who have seen the movie STILL don't like it. But then again, I'm biased. I like the way it was filmed, I liked the story, I liked everything about it. But everyone to their own taste.

Actually, I think the respective oscars that they won were appropriate.

IMHO, Best Costuming for Moulin Rouge was right choice. THe use of bright color, different dresses for each of the can-can girls; compared to the same stale gray armor for every single Orc of LOTR.

LOTR was correct winner for Cinetography, not Art Direction. Art Direction was right for MR because of the uses of shaded light and flamboyant color on sets. LOTR just had more effectiveness as an environmental setting...not for the castle housing sets.....

Makeup...welll.....i still thought MR should won.

I enjoyed the very exuberant, frantic pace of the first 40 minutes or so (right to the end of "Elephant Love Medley"), then it does a 180 and becomes a love story and an uninteresting tragedy ("cough, cough" -- oh, no, I'm coughing up blood!). True, this is a modern opera, but the love relationship wasn't viable enough for me. It wasn't explored fully enough to take me to the emotions I was supposed to feel at the end.  

Yeah. Me too. But everything else about the film was good.

ROTFL :(

Warning:More HK oddball stuff....

http://www.geocities.com/miffytoki/sanrio/...o/Kitty-Bra.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/miffytoki/sanrio/hk-tp.jpg

http://www.bmu.net.au/~mimi/sanrio/sanrio.htm

IMHO, Best Costuming for Moulin Rouge was right choice. THe use of bright color, different dresses for each of the can-can girls; compared to the same stale gray armor for every single Orc of LOTR.

There were many more costumes in LOTR, the same costume for the orcs is important for the story and the LOTR costumes look far better than MR :(

Art Direction was right for MR because of the uses of shaded light and flamboyant color on sets. LOTR just had more effectiveness as an environmental setting...not for the castle housing sets.....

Just look at the hobbit villag and bilbo's home for example.

Sure, there's more but most of them orcs looked all the same.....gray....green....easily predictable to fit storyline....LOTR just fit to the characters (oh look, it's Gandalf, he's got the hat, and the gray cloak...big whoop.....it can't be that hard to design a dress for Gandalf....) and didn't much go beyond it....

MR costumes just had more eye candy (color wise) and accentuated the film's showy style......

It may be important for the story, but when you're judging a certain theme like best costume design, perhaps the judges were looking at quality vs quantity. I still think MR is better in this theme.....

As for art direction, there's little way you can compare to the intricate gaudy detailed elephant to a rustic, small hobbit home...

They're nice sets in LOTR, but I felt there was little time spent in a house set, instead of there was more screen time exhibiting the gr8 cinematic views of grand fields, winter mountains......

And MR, I saw an artsy fartsy elephant room........while in LOTR, i just saw a home.

But hey, everyone's got their own opinion..... :(

Art means different things to different people.

Sure, there's more but most of them orcs looked all the same.....gray....green....easily predictable to fit storyline....LOTR just fit to the characters (oh look, it's Gandalf, he's got the hat, and the gray cloak...big whoop.....it can't be that hard to design a dress for Gandalf....) and didn't much go beyond it....  

MR costumes just had more eye candy (color wise) and accentuated the film's showy style......

Have you seen the beautiful elf army costumes? :(

• 2 weeks later...

I don't feel like reading all of these...I'm sorry...I only keep up with the last few. Who wrote the music to "Lord of the Rings" again? Thanks in advance. :|

Howard Shore, off course.

Stefancos-  :roll:

I've seen the DVD three times, all of which I've hated every minute of it!! But anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I HATE that score :|

It's the most boring score I've ever listened to, epic or not.

-ROSS, who puts LOTR next to Titanic in his "hate films"

kradia,

i can't see the geocities links but the other link...

I HAVE TO HAVE THE HK GOLF BALLS AND BAG!!!!

OMG!!!!!

and about the awards for Moulin Rouge and LOTR, a very interesting topic.

Howard Shore, off course.

Stefancos-  :roll:

I've seen the DVD three times, all of which I've hated every minute of it!! But anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I HATE that score :|

It's the most boring score I've ever listened to, epic or not.

-ROSS, who puts LOTR next to Titanic in his "hate films"

WHY!

It's nice to see that people express their opinions without fear. I've never heard that score, and I'm sure it's ok. However, I remember that when I saw the movie, the music didn't really impress me or stick out in my mind like it did in Star Wars Episode II...man I love that loooooove theme. I was singing it all the way home from the theatre. :|

kradia,

i can't see the geocities links but the other link...

I HAVE TO HAVE THE HK GOLF BALLS AND BAG!!!!

OMG!!!!!

and about the awards for Moulin Rouge and LOTR, a very interesting topic.

Try it now. :)

http://www.geocities.com/miffytoki/sanrio.html

HK stuff is near the bottom.

The pics that I addressed were just an HK bra and HK toilet paper. :)

You play golf? :shakehead: