Rome the Series

Incanus

I have watched 5 episodes of Rome the tv series produced in collaboration by HBO and BBC and I have to say it is the best drama set in Antiquity I have ever seen. The series is set in the first century BC and in the Roman Civil wars. It tells of the power struggle of C. Julius Caesar and Cn. Pompeius Magnus and begins just before the Civil war breaks out. It is also very good idea that the political and military manouevering of the Mighty of the land is balanced by the two main characters, a simple but good legionnaire of Caesar's army Titus Pullo and his superior officer centurio Lucius Varinus. These to are brought together by theft of Caesar's military standard and after retuning it the unlikely pair (headstrong and simple Pullo and disciplined soldier and thinker Varinus) follow Caesar's trail to Rome and to war against Pompey. These two show us the normal every day life of Rome (and the problems and joys of soldiers returning home from long wars). They are the "every man" for the balance of the grander characters of that time such as Pompey, Caesar and Cicero.

The casting has been succesful in finding suitable and good actors to portray the characters and it seems the main cast is all British (thank God for that). No very famous stars in their midsts but they are truly wonderful in their respective roles. Caesar's actor Ciarán Hinds is particular favorite of mine. The script is wonderful in capturing the feeling of the times and the athmosphere of the Ancient Rome and the language is very true to the idioms of Latin and Ancient Greek which pop up in few places to my delight. Obviously a whole legion of consultants from different branches of study of Antiquity have been consulted as the series is very faithful the real Roman culture that is superbly presented in the episodes. Sets are beautiful with so many little details that make the world seem real. The culture and history are well presented and just right amount of exposition is inserted to explain the ways of Antiquity to the audience. I as a student of Classical languages and Ancient culture love this series escpecially because of the authenticity and faithfulness to the Ancient world and at the same time the series is still great drama and story telling mixing historical fact and fiction in just the right portion. Comes highly recommended for all who love good drama and Antiquity.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched 5 episodes of Rome the tv series produced  in collaboration by HBO and BBC and I have to say it is the best drama set in Antiquity I have ever seen.

That comment is meaningless if you have never seen I Claudius.

And if you have then it's a higly dubious comment. :)

IMO Rome is the best tv series about the period of the Roman Civil War of 49 - 44 BC. And the only one of that period for all I know.

I have not to my rotten fortune seen I Claudius (by which you mean the BBC series with Derek Jacobi as Claudius). That must be brilliant with all those great British Shakespeare actors. The period of 1st century AD is also very interesting time and offer great dramatic opporturnities. I should try to find it somewhere and watch it. Is it really that good and faithful to history and Roman culture?

So that answers your questions Steef. I can't say anything about I Claudius. Still Rome is IMO a good series with great athmosphere and good actors even though they are British television actors they are far better than an average American actor would be.

Only thing subpar is Jeff Beals music which took the world music approach and went for the ethnic flutes, drums and whatnot. Where is the good Roman music (Rozsa style music, BTW which my friend calls lovingly "Tandor music" after the Tarzan's elephant since it sound to him like elephants on the march, heavy, ackward and funny) or even strong tv series scoring like Band of Brothers. Obviously producers wanted athmmosphere and Beal gives them just that. Functional score nothing more.

I Claudius is bloody brilliant! A fasinating look through about 3 generations of roman emperors, focusing on all the scheming and plots that people involved in to try to eventually get to the caesar's seat. Real drama with plenty of fear and murder. :)

It's better than Rome. Ohh and Rome, Cleopatra! Be interesting to see how the series handles itself after caesar dies.

I Claudius is the triumph of screenplay and acting over anything else.

It's shot on video, the sets look like just like sets and the costumes are not very impressive either.

Yet it's a more gripping glimpse of Roman times then any of those big budget 3 hour epics.

Well I suppose, but that boys head was pretty impressive :) But acting and screenplay is what really counts, without a good screenplay nothing good can result.

Damnable damn! Where could I find this I Claudius. It sounds very good by the praise you two give it. Is it released on DVD yet?

I just found out the DVD box is released today thought the price is steep (85 euros).

Well as Ihave watched the Rome the most irritating aspect is the need of the writers to include so much sex in the series. I am not agaist it but it is in every episode once or twice (now they have even touched upon lesbian love). Is it for the shock value or is it because sex sells better. I do not know but it is the biggest gripe with the series. Even if the Romans were promiscuous and free in their sexual conduct it still would not have to be so underlined in the series.

I am waiting it to land here in Finland. I jsut hope one of our TV networks has the intelligent to buy it. Besides the overt sexuality there is nothing wrong with it.

I watched the first part tonight. Looks good. Although, with all the mentions of Gaul, my mind kept wandering to the Astérix comics. I even hoped for a moment for Vercingetorix to unceremoniously dump his weapons on top of Ceasar's feet. :P

- Marc, who thought the latest Astérix sucked. Really sucked. :|

I watched the first part tonight. Looks good. Although, with all the mentions of Gaul, my mind kept wandering to the Astérix comics. I even hoped for a moment for Vercingetorix to unceremoniously dump his weapons on top of Ceasar's feet. :P

- Marc, who thought the latest Astérix sucked. Really sucked. :)

Well the series is good and I must admit that Asterix popped into my head too while watching Vercingetorix kneel before Caesar. :)

The first episode was more of an introduction to the characters than anything else. It is same as in any TV series. I do not have any idea how long this series is going to be so I watch with great anticipation how the things unfold. I as a major in Classical langugaes and culture have very good knowledge of the time period (one of my favorite periods in Ancient history, very interesting) and it is interesting to watch how faithful have the writers been with the historical facts. Of course good drama is the first priority but I prefer that the historical background is correct (but dramatic liberties are ok in my books if the reason is good). Thus far (I have watched 7 episodes) it has been great if not counting the growing amount of sex paraded in the episodes. I do not have nothing against portaying sexuality but it has become little too prominent element (as I have voiced above in my posts).

What was the latest Asterix? We may not have it yet here in Finland. I am a great friend of Asterix BTW. :)

I think it's either 12 or 13 episodes.

The last Astérix, which came out a few weeks ago, was called Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête, and featured, well, aliens (no joke). :)

Aliens huh? That sound almost too weird to be true. There are no good plots for those comics any more? I have enjoyed the older ones immensely but the 3 or 4 newer ones have not been that good. BTW I have no idea what that title of the newest Asterix means because I can't understand that much French :)

Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête means The sky that falls on head (as you know, the sky falling down is the only thing the Gauls are afraid of).

And since Goscinny died, the scripts haven't really been as brilliant, but there were some nice stories nonetheless. The stories changed a bit (I don't think Goscinny would have included flying cows and carpets), but were still decent. I didn't care much for seeing Astérix's parents in the previous album, but that book was still okay. This new one puts our beloved main characters completely on the sidelines. There's pretty much nothing for them to do. This story might've been decent if it were half as long, but as it turns out, the script basically sucks.

Uderzo's drawings are still a joy to watch, though.

- Marc

I just found out the DVD box is released today thought the price is steep (85 euros).

Mediamarkt: 8 Euro.

Best series ever.

The whole series! :) Wow that is cheap! You are lucky to get it so bloody cheap. I am so envious.

But since there is no place here in Finland that sells the I Claudius Series DVD set :cry: I can't afford to pay 85 euros for it.

And since Goscinny died, the scripts haven't really been as brilliant, but there were some nice stories nonetheless.

I strongly disagree with all those people who claim that every single Asterix script since Goscinny's death sucked. In my opinion, most of them were good, some of them great. Plenty of my favourites are from the post-Goscinny era. Haven't read the last two though, and I'm really annoyed by all this alien business. The last great one I've read was the one with the flying carpet (I don't know any French, so I don't know the original titles).

Marian - who needs a complete edition someday.

Oh, I don't think the post-Goscinny albums totally sucked either. In fact, up until La Galère d'Obélix, they're still pretty good I think. The last two just haven't been as great, with the latest one being just plain bad.

btw, the album you're referring to is Astérix chez Rahàzade (Asterix im Morgenland). After that came four more full-length albums and a compilation of short stories (some of which were re-drawn to fit the page, and there was also one new 4-page story about the village's rooster).

Oh, and one thing that really bothers me is that the new translators for the last two or three albums have renamed some of the characters, even though in the old albums, they had the same names as in the French ones. It annoys me to no end (for instance, Abraracourcix is now called Heroïx for no apparent reason). In fact, a lot of people have been uttering discontent at the translation of the latest album's title (called Het geheime wapen - The secret weapon - in Dutch). It certainly raised a few eyebrows when it was announced, but now that the album is out and turns out so disappointing, I expect a lot of people to use whatever they can to bitch & moan (I know I sound like I'm whining, but I was very disappointed with this latest entry too).

- Marc

How did you like the performances in Rome? I think casting has been quite good. Of course based on a one episode it is hard to say but what did you think of the actors. BTW the music by Jeff Beal is yet to reveal its greatness. The main title is all that ethnic stuff, I think more regal approach would have been better (not anything Rozsa style but something more dramatic) even the pictures do not lend themselves to such in the intro.

I wasn't impressed by the score. Certainly not something I would seek out to listen to seperately. Not from this first episode, anyway.

The acting looked pretty good, but like you said, after just one episode, it's kind of hard to judge.

• 1 year later...

Okay, just saw the latest episode (Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus). And, like most of the previous episodes, I was giddy with excitment at the end of it. It is so friggin' good. Best thing I've ever seen or read about the period (I have yet to see I, Claudius, but I've got a bit of money now, I'm looking for the best price. Please let's refrain from how great that show is, I'm sure it's brilliant, and I am looking for it), and one of the most exciting projects I've ever seen on TV. I feel extremely grateful to Bruno Heller not only for the insurmountable task of getting it made, but making it so friggin' fantastic.

While it is a shame that the show will not be continuing to a third season, the two existing ones feature such a plethora or riches, it's hard to complain, I see myself revisiting this series more than once in the future. Practically everything about it is fantastic. The characters, characterizations, performances, story, storytelling, dialogue, look, design- it's all fantastic. The music, unfortunately, is far from fantastic, but it's not harmful to the show.

I haven't gushed this much about a TV show in a long time, and, trust me, I can go on for much longer. Can't wait for the finale.

Very...very well made, but pretty much a political soap opera with no real likable characters.

It is part a political soap opera, yes, but based on history, and on a scale that does not make one think of soap opera. And while it may take a while for you to get to really know the characters (I don't recall precisely when it happened for me), as we've grown to understand them more, I like most of the main characters now. And the way it blends history and myth together with manufactured drama, while keeping all those elements alive (It sounds familiar and rings true as history, is dead-on as myth, and is as good as it gets with the drama).

I have many people to root for, many of them working against each other. That's what makes it such a unique experience. Showing Caeser, Brutus, Octavius, Pompey, Atia and Mark Antony as well rounded individuals, getting a glimpse of why they might have done what they did. It's exhilirating. And even if none of those give you something to root for, you've got Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenous to root for.

Titus and Lucius, the two "common" characters, that seemed like they were designed to give the audience someone to identify with, were the least interesting of all to me.

Yes, it's a very, very well-made series, but I just didn't enjoy it all that much, and couldn't be bothered with the second season.

I certainly understand your hesitancy.....but I think the second season is very rewarding, even if you weren't crazy about the first. Everybody who was still a card-board cut out or a charicature ceases to be one, and becomes real. Even Vorenus and Pullo. You're right that they seems tacked on to try and balance the class devision in the show (reaching ridicules, if enjoyable heights with the Gladiator fight), but, again, watching the show know I feel like I know these guys.

After this season, I've got to decide what's next. Entorage? Deadwood? My Name is Earl? Finally starting Lost S3 (By now, I can barely remember why I ever watched the show)?

I think it speaks more of you than of the show. While it did make an impression ('large' doesn't quite sum it up), I gave it little thought after the episode.

Morlock- who does enjoy the bountiful female nudity, though. Several actresses made quite an impression.

Roman life was probably way different from how our TV series/ movies portray things. I remember the series I Claudius from my youth, but don't remember much about it now. Not seen Rome the series though. Although, I was in Rome last year and while walking around the Colosseum I had a flash back past life memory of myself watching the games in 83ad and storming out in protest because the popcorn and drink prices were ridiculous, they cancelled the "lions VS robbers" that day (instead, they put on some really lame show where some starving hyenas attacked a guy called Stefanaco Cosmanicus (a local thug who sold haga to people near the entrance), tied to a stake . Plus, somebody just wouldn't shut up in the front row. I decided to give up going to these rip off events and settled on watching the kids fighting in the garden. Beter value for money :eek:

This is a series I watched for the first season, from start to finish, and enjoyed it very much. I have yet to see a single episode from the second season, and I have no idea why. Laziness?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

VERY rushed. Ending was underwhelming.

Morlock- rewatching the first season, which is even better this time around