We are witness to John Williams' evolving abilities

Incanus

For me Williams is and will be the best film composer. That cannot be changed by anyone or anything. I discovered him when I was a a teenager. Jurassic Park was the first thing that opened my eyes to film music. and after that I got very well acquainted with his SW and Indiana Jones scores. After that I was hooked and went deeper into his music and became a collector and a fan. He has had an enormous influence on me and I have grown to love his music and its many sides. His career has been rich and his music likewise.

And as for the decline I do not see it. I think I have grown with Williams' music as well since his current style is something I deeply love. I love and admire the "Golden Age" from the mid seventies through mid eighties but those scores are classic and I do not feel Williams has lost any of his skill when you compare them with his modern out put. I consider A.I. and HP to be classics also.

And Williams still writes like no other composer. His themes are well thought through and the structure of the music is a wonder to behold. His music is both emotionally and intellectually engaging. His orchestrations are complex and hide much beauty if you just listen to them (they are now more complex than ever). We know every composer has his stylistic peculiarities and Williams is no different but that is what makes him John Williams. His harp glissandos, flute flourishes, timpani rolls, brass licks and string progressions. They are all Williams. He has exhibited them from the beginning of his career. The reason why some people recently have come to see it as a failing is beyond me. But there we enter the territory of opinions and musical tastes.

Also the movies Williams has scored have been different from his "Golden Age". In the 80's he was the name asked to do adeventure scores but in the 90'he focused very much on drama. That must have changed his attitudes and sensibilities a bit. He churned drama after drama in the 90's and I dare say he became a master at it. He blended his thematic mastery with subtlety (not always but often) and the result was amazing. Maybe his way of thinking and writing film music were changed to a degree also.

Williams has also been working with an increasingly fast speed as he gets older. His one score/year has changed to 4 scores/year. And still the quality of the music has not suffered. I think he is bound to have few musically common sounds in his scores if he scores four pictures in a row even if he is not consciously trying to copy his own music. We can hear that in the scores of 2002 when he had also 4 scores to compose. The stories were from roughly the same genre (suspence and mystery, fantasy) AOTC, Minority Report, CMIYC and HP CS. Stylistically the 4 scores stand very close to each other but musically Williams composed every single one an identity of its own and wrote original themes for every one of them. The question if the music is good is left to the listener. Some love it some hate it.

Williams' sound and style have of course changed but his musical identity has stayed the same at its core. The reasons for the change are many: Williams' growth as a composer, the change in the sensibilites of the movies scoring, directors, the current trends. But no other composer can deliver such quality and music that elevates the picture than John Williams.

I am glad to be witnessing this artistic growth and opening of new musical possibilities for him.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda funny. I had to remind myself about half way through that I hadn't just typed that!

I said something along those very lines in the anticedent of this thread.... I couldn't agree with you more.

In fact, you said everything I felt--right down to JP being the first to open your eyes hehe.

:-)

I am glad to be witnessing this artistic growth and opening of new musical possibilities for him.

And from what I've heard of Geisha, this definitely seems to ring true.

Admirable sentiments all around.

Tim, who also got hooked on Jurassic Park and was my 'gateway drug' to film music.

It's kinda funny. I had to remind myself about half way through that I hadn't just typed that!

I said something along those very lines in the anticedent of this thread.... I couldn't agree with you more.

In fact, you said everything I felt--right down to JP being the first to open your eyes hehe.

:-)

I read your post (which I agree with) but the thoughts in this thread are entirely my own (i.e. I did not rip your thoughts ^_^ ). I just wrote what I felt about Williams.

And Williams has been challenging himself a bit lately (well for quite a few years now actually). I hope directors give him more new things to work with. and I hope Spielberg offers him a great Indy movie to compose his classic adventure music to. You can never have too many Williams adventure scores :P

Oh definately not acusing you of stealing the ideas.. lol... in fact, just happy to hear that someone else feels the same heh! :)

I wonder if he'd do it though... you know? Could anyone else? lol...

I think it would be great to hear some new scores from him that arn't so ...what's the word... rushed or... stand alone...

Indiana Jones being a good example... it would have to develop something from the old movies... but still be new...that would be exciting...

Like when Episode III was comming out...

I definately think we're entering a new era with JW's style...

wee...

Tell me if I'm not crazy about this too though::

It seems to me, that if you listen to the scores, you can put them in chronological order just by listening to them... (assuming you didn't know the general release dates and such)...

and I think you could do it and do it right... the idea that his music seems to evolve and grow...

::imagines "Daddy-o" as monkey and "Memoirs" as a fully Upright John Williams:: lol

This thread is crap and another attempt of Incanus to draw attention to himself.

Well all he's pointing out is that he needs this kind of attention seeking in his empty, pountless life.

I'm surprised this type of grandstanding is even allowed, what kind of Moderation do we have these days?

two words: "For me" ;-)

and btw, I'd REALLY have to disagree. I HATED the score to The Incredables...Loved the movie but agonized over the score...

as for this thread being crap... how is it any different than the other one... A Message Board is about conversing, sharing of ideas and thoughts...

And there is a thread on how John Williams' style and ability is falling to doom... he's simply posting a thread on the opposite...??

This thread is crap and another attempt of Incanus to draw attention to himself.

Well all he's pointing out is that he needs this kind of attention seeking in his empty, pountless life.

I'm surprised this type of grandstanding is even allowed, what kind of Moderation do we have these days?

It's quite a bold move around here to state that you like John Williams' music.

You sir, are an idiot.

This site is titled "John Williams Fan Network", if you are against the views in this thread then what the hell are you doing here!?!?!?!?!?!?

If you disagree, then surely, you're not a John Williams fan?

:)

He's not around. I think mother won't let him come out and play.... must have been a naughty boy this Halloween weekend.

Stefan you really are edgy these days. Why can't I share my thoughts on Williams if Joe can share his disappointment in Williams? What grandstanding is in that? Are you pissed off because some Williams fans do agree with my thoughts? You do not want attention when you express your thoughts on some matter on the MB? Isn't it that why we have MBs. To share thoughts and communicate with like minded people about our favorite things and in this case the music of John Williams and film music in general. Stefan your comments have been thus far good and enlightening even when you disagree with me. Why the sudden change? Is the waiting for the FOTR release driven you so angry?

Is the waiting for the FOTR release driven you so angry?

Did I not already indicate this?

Well I have not read that in this thread or noticed it around. Oh my guess was right then. Well if it makes you any happier (I do not think it will. It never works for a consolation for me either) I am also in agony because of the wait and I am on LOTR fast as well so it's double pain :)

If this were a musical score, it would have been composed by James Horner, and not one of his good ones.

If this were a musical score, it would have been composed by James Horner, and not one of his good ones.

Nice one Joe. Very nice. Good snide. I always value a good snide and remark. I have to remember that one.

:roll:

That one small emoticon put me in my place. I remembered I should not answer anger with anger. So I edited my last post. Thanks Greg1138! :)

jeez, you'd figure that Greg being British would have a better sense of humor, oh well.

jeez, you'd figure that Greg being British would have a better sense of humor, oh well.

Perhaps the emoticon was for my comment (the unedited one that is). And I know better now than to get upset at anything said here.

Well I enjoyed your initial post Incanus. Well said. Detractors of JW ought to explain themselves that well instead of resorting to provokation, dogma and all the stuff that cuts off discussion. It would do their "cause" a favor, though I'm not sure why anyone would care if there are people who really like JW.

- Adam

Well I enjoyed your initial post Incanus. Well said. Detractors of JW ought to explain themselves that well instead of resorting to provokation, dogma and all the stuff that cuts off discussion. It would do their "cause" a favor, though I'm not sure why anyone would care if there are people who really like JW.  

- Adam

beerchug

I've been around here shorter than many and I can tell when Steef is kidding, sheesh!

~Sturgis

For me Williams is and will be the best film composer. That cannot be changed by anyone or anything.

Two words. Michael. Giacchino.

You gotta be kidding.

I've been around here shorter than many and I can tell when Steef is kidding, sheesh!

~Sturgis

I have very little sense of humor in some cases. I am blind to some humor and some humor does not simply register. With Stefan it is 50/50. I can't never tell is he or is he not joking. But as a rule henceforth I take everything you say as a joke. Just in case. :|

For me Williams is and will be the best film composer. That cannot be changed by anyone or anything.

Two words. Michael. Giacchino.

You gotta be kidding.

YES HE IS.

GOOD LORD!

~Sturgis

~Sturgis

I have very little sense of humor in some cases. I am blind to some humor and some humor does not simply register. With Stefan it is 50/50. I can't never tell is he or is he not joking. But as a rule henceforth I take everything you say as a joke. Just in case. :|

Everything Steef says or everythig I say?

~Sturgis

Everything that is said on the MB. :|

And you really know I am joking (or am I?)