What is the best theme in.....Superman?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• "Superman Theme"
    • "Love Theme"
    • "The Planet Krypton"
    • "The Crystal Motif"
    • "The Smallville Theme"
    • "The Human/Kryptonian Heritage Theme" (not sure if this is what it's identified as. but it is heard in "Lois and Clark" on the CD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much DAMN fine music in that one. The Main Theme is legendary and perfection for the character... but the Love Theme is utterly magnificent and gets my vote.

love theme is my choice as John's single greatest que, so this one is easy.

That is until I learned he stole it from Strauss. LOL

Like I believe that crap..

Chris said it right. :mrgreen:

Ohh really Joe? Well, I wouldn't call is stealing because Williams has done things quite different to the Strauss with the material and developed it a lot more and it's only a few notes. But listen to this compared to this :mrgreen: from this site http://www.mettlerweb.de/composer/index.html

Ohh really Joe? Well, I wouldn't call is stealing because Williams has done things quite different to the Strauss with the material and developed it a lot more and it's only a few notes. But listen to this compared to this :) from this sitehttp://www.mettlerweb.de/composer/index.html

Many of the comparisons on that site are ridiculous and unfounded (including the absurd Strauss/Williams reference). I could create dozens of sites comparing hundreds of "similar" cues from all genres, and suggest that the composers are copying each other.

The Goldsmith page is right, though. Something I've been saying for almost 20 years.

I agree Ricard. But not all are absurd. And what is wrong with the Williams/Strauss reference?

I agree Ricard. But not all are absurd.

I said 'most', not all.

And what is wrong with the Williams/Strauss reference?

That is based on a coincidence of notes from a very short cue, :? meaning what?. It's ridiculous.

It's more than just a few notes :) Notice the orchestration change in the 4th and 5th note in both. Plus they both have similarish harmony. I don't think it's enough for plagurism, but enough to consider an influence :)

It's more than just a few notes  :) Notice the orchestration change in the 4th and 5th note in both. Plus they both have similarish harmony. I don't think it's enough for plagurism, but enough to consider an influence :)

Slight influence, yes. But it's so short that the comparison is laughable.

It was a really tough choce between the Main Theme and the Love Theme. But I chose the Main Theme for the rush of pure exhilaration it delivers. I could have chosen the Love Theme on a different day.

Ray Barnsbury

The Goldsmith page is right, though. Something I've been saying for almost 20 years.

I can't play Realplayer files, what cues are they?

Stefancos- who knows Goldsmith action cues have a very distincy "Goldsmith" sound, and likes them because of that. :)

I found that site almost laughable with some of the Williams comparisons. :)

The Goldsmith/Poledouris - Conan/Total Recall one has been told soo many times. It was down more as a tip of the hat toward Basil from what I remember. :)

I voted for the main tiltle. Like Richard Donner said...is does sing SUPERMAN. :(

The Goldsmith/Poledouris - Conan/Total Recall one has been told soo many times. It was down more as a tip of the hat toward Basil from what I remember. :cool:

Actually, it's the other way around. Listen to Jerry's Capricorn One main theme, then listen to Conan...

I voted for the Love theme, because besides being so lovely, it conveys a kind of inocence and purity I wish was more frequent in my life. Its kinda utopic for me.

Da da da da da DAAA! Dadadadada daaaa! Da da da da dadaaaaa! Da da da da dadaaaa!!!

:)

Uh Superman Main Theme.

Justin - :cool:

what ever the outcome, I think this is one of the best scores I have ever heard. Its certainly one of my favorites.

I noticed today watching my dvd of Superman, it is one of the most beautifully photographed films ever. The colors are so alive.

But the Conti ones except for the absurd Hook one are true plagurism :angry:

Conti didn't want to do it, but director Phillip Kaufman insisted that Conti had to get as close as possible to the temp tracks they were using for The Right Stuff (Holst, Tchaikovsky).

He clearly states that in the interview published in the liner notes for the expanded edition of Masters of the Universe.

But the Conti ones except for the absurd Hook one are true plagurism :angry:

Conti didn't want to do it, but director Phillip Kaufman insisted that Conti had to get as close as possible to the temp tracks they were using for The Right Stuff (Holst, Tchaikovsky).

He clearly states that in the interview published in the liner notes for the expanded edition of Masters of the Universe.

He should have called the director an idiot like Herrmann would have done :angry: