Superman Returns WILL open with JW's 'Superman March'

APBez

Bryan Singer, the director of the 'SR', speaking at The Christopher Reeve Lecture Series at Princeton, has confirmed (I think for the first time) that the opening credits will feature John Williams' classic Superman march, with a new score by editor/composer John Ottman integrating old and new themes.

Of course, this is probably the plan for the moment and could change but the news brought a smile to my face.

See aintitcool.com for a full report on the event.

APBez

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yippie!!! And equally exciting NEWS: Star Trek Voyager's Main Theme WILL be composed by Jerry Goldsmith!!!!!! YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It's good to be alive!!!!!!

Yippie!!! And equally exciting NEWS: Star Trek Voyager's Main Theme WILL be composed by Jerry Goldsmith!!!!!! YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It's good to be alive!!!!!!

I was aware that it's been known for some time that the 'Superman March' would be used in the score but, as another has already said, not that it would be used over the main title. That is the bit that felt was 'NEWS'.

All that sarcasm and those capital letters and exclamation marks! What a lovely sense of humour. :roll:

Roald knows how to greet warmly the bearer of news. :) He makes us all feel welome and the news appreciated.

APBez; sorry there buddy!

But; I find it remarkable how often Williams has another composer re-use his themes (Jaws III, Superman II, HP & The GOF, Jurassic Park III are just some examples).

Did any composer EVER quote Goldsmith or Horner? I don't think so.

What scores would someone else quote?

Star Trek? A true point yet neither of them wrote the ORIGINAL theme which was by Alexander Courage which is quoted through the series. Other than Alien what films even have sequels which those composers themselves haven't scored?

But don't worry I'm sure Humanoids from the Deep Return will feature Horner's stirring theme. :)

Justin

Well, we knew ages back that the theme would be used, but not that it would be in the main titles (although it would have been a fair guess).

Here.

I guess no one ever reads my posts, but I did, in fact, say the exact same thing yesterday here confirming that the march would be used.

Tim

I think it's a surprise that the exact same march is, yes. Using themes, and presenting a note for note rendition of the original march for the opening credits are far from the same statement. Personally, I'm excited about it.

Tim

i apologize if it's already well-known, but since i don't i'll ask:

does anyone know if the maestro was considered--even in part--as the possible composer for this film?

I don't think so. Not that they'd pay him if he was. ;)

I assume it will be a rerecording? - at least I hope so.

Bryan Singer said he wants to cut back costs and therefore will use his own private copy of the Superman LP. He says he prefers his copy because he has grown used to the tics on his copy. OF COURSE IT WILL BE A RERECORDING!!!

Composer John Ottman and Director Bryan Singer are long time collaborators; I don't think it was ever a question whether Ottman would be replaced by an offer to Williams.

The question is: If John Williams expressed interest in Superman Returns, how would that be handled by Singer and Co.?

Would Ottman step aside rather than deny the world another Williams Superman score?

But; I find it remarkable how often Williams has another composer re-use his themes (Jaws III, Superman II, HP & The GOF, Jurassic Park III are just some examples).  

well, they are all sequels to the original JW wrote for. and if i'm not mistaken, usually its the studio who holds the rights to the themes.

Composer John Ottman and Director Bryan Singer are long time collaborators; I don't think it was ever a question whether Ottman would be replaced by an offer to Williams.

The question is:  If John Williams expressed interest in Superman Returns, how would that be handled by Singer and Co.?

Would Ottman step aside rather than deny the world another Williams Superman score?

If WB got word of it he probably would.

• 4 weeks later...

What scores would someone else quote?

Star Trek? A true point yet neither of them wrote the ORIGINAL theme which was by Alexander Courage which is quoted through the series. Other than Alien what films even have sequels which those composers themselves haven't scored?

But don't worry I'm sure Humanoids from the Deep Return will feature Horner's stirring theme. :joy:

Justin

And Alexander Courage, in 1987, wrote new music for "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" integrating it with original music by John Williams