A Complete War of the Worlds soundtrack?

GoodMusician

Found another two cues in "Steven Spielberg and the Original War of the Worlds."

It almost sounds like "Floating Corpses" but its very dissonant...its at 5:17 to 5:21 ish

and something else at 6:03 to 6:20

Production Diaries East Coast (at the end)

I'm also finding bits and pieces of omitted material.

Like, in one of the feturettes at 2:15, there's a missing segment ... I think that one other piece I said in the last message (the one that loops) is really a piece from the finale that needs to be reinserted.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wanted to say I've now updated "Escape from the Basket" with a missing segment heard cleanly in the end credits to "We are not alone"... making the track 3:13... not much of a change, but it corrects an edit I thought was there and adds more material not heard in the film or on the album.

I'm still trying to rip all the parts right now... it's proving a bit more difficult as my ripper can't find thing too easily lol... oh well...

I'll keep you all updated.

Hey how Revenge Of The Sith does this sound?

War Of The Worlds OST - Track 3 - Reaching The Country (2.27 - 2.43)

---------------

Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith OST - Track 10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds (3.46 - 4.00)

You know, the funny thing about this score is how much we don't know and didn't know...

I mean, In the feturette Williams and Spielberg talk about how this is the ONLY film where he started scoring it before he saw the whole film... only half of it had been completed...

and now, finding all these alternates, you can almost hear him searching for the sound. I mean, I found an alternate for "Floating Corpses" which is a bit more simplistic but still has the descending strings but they are offset so that every other note they become dissonant... it's simple, and had the similar melody line, but doesn't have the feeling that the final track does.

Then there's this other track that I have no idea what its for. Its far too warm for the film... and it's quite beautiful... but agian, too warm.

Then you have this segment from Finale right before the closing dialogue and it has this clarinet line that sounds like something from AI...

And again, it's beautiful... but I think it took Williams a little bit of time to really refine the sound and know exactly what it needed... So the fact that certain aspects of other scores are used briefly, I think, would make sense.... in his attempt to understand and pinpoint the sound, he explored all the options.

You know, the funny thing about this score is how much we don't know and didn't know...

I mean, In the feturette Williams and Spielberg talk about how this is the ONLY film where he started scoring it before he saw the whole film... only half of it had been completed...

and now, finding all these alternates, you can almost hear him searching for the sound. I mean, I found an alternate for "Floating Corpses" which is a bit more simplistic but still has the descending strings but they are offset so that every other note they become dissonant... it's simple, and had the similar melody line, but doesn't have the feeling that the final track does.

Then there's this other track that I have no idea what its for. Its far too warm for the film... and it's quite beautiful... but agian, too warm.

Then you have this segment from Finale right before the closing dialogue and it has this clarinet line that sounds like something from AI...

And again, it's beautiful... but I think it took Williams a little bit of time to really refine the sound and know exactly what it needed... So the fact that certain aspects of other scores are used briefly, I think, would make sense.... in his attempt to understand and pinpoint the sound, he explored all the options.

yeah i know what your saying, but sounds so similiar, but a lot of his cues are, ET sounds Very Return Of The Jedi

Was it not the same with JFK?

Yeah, Oliver Stone said in the JFK commentary that JW composed some material before he saw the rough cut.

As for working with Spielberg, it sounds like WOTW was the first movie JW composed some material for before he saw any of the movie.

No, that would ahve been Hook.

That's somewhat true. Spielberg was working on Peter Pan as a musical years before Hook came about, so evidently John had those ideas floating around for while.

So I've all but finished the set. I'm working on a few tracks, trying to update them, but the difference would only be in a few seconds.

Here is the final Track list:

War of the Worlds: Complete Edit

Disc 1 (1:09:02)

01) Prologue (Instrumental) - [2:54]

02) After the Storm - [2:09]

03) The Intersection Scene (Film Mix) - [4:26]

04) Ashes - Intro To (Film) - [3:35]

05) Escape from the City (Film) - [3:41]

06) Crash Site (Planned Tracked) - [1:29]

07) Tripod Footage - [0:50]

08) Floating Corpses - [0:42]

09) Refugee Status (Film) - [1:42]

10) Taking Shelter in the Diner - [1:13]

11) Tony Bennett - If I Ruled the World (Source) - [2:59]

12) The Sirens (SFX) - [0:08]

13) The Ferry Scene - [5:49]

14) Climbing Up Hill - [1:50]

15) Separation of the Family - [3:22]

16) Comforting Rachel - [1:58] *Subject to Change- addition of ~ 20 seconds

17) Ogilvy's Advice - [2:05]

18) Probing the Basement - [4:19]

19) Aliens Search the Basement - [2:47] *Subject to Change - addition of ~10 seconds

20) The Death of Ogilvy - [1:42]

21) Caught - [0:43]

22) Captured by the Tripods - [3:12]

23) Escape from the Basket - [3:13]

24) Return to Boston - [1:15]

25) Taking Down the Tripod (Film Fanfare) - [3:20]

26) The Alien Emerges - [0:38]

27) Reunion - [2:10]

28) Finale - [1:16] *Subject to Change - addition of ~ 20 seconds

29) Epilogue - [3:11]

Disc 2 (58:57)

01) Prologue (Dialogue) - [2:52]

02) Aphasia - Flatline (Robbie Source Cue) - [3:00]

03) The Intersection Scene (Album Mix) - [4:26]

04) Unknown Cue #1 - [1:10]

05) Intro To (Alternate) - [0:32]

06) Intro To (Film) - [0:20]

07) Escape from the City (Alternate) - [3:43]

08) Floating Corpses (Partial Alternate) - [0:45]

09) The Attack on the Car - [2:41] * Subject to Change - Addition of ~ 30 seconds

10) Refugee Status (Alternate) - [3:49]

11) Taking Down the Tripod (Alternate Fanfare) - [3:18]

12) Reunion (Film Alternate) - [1:56] *NOT pitch shifted

13) Reunion (Second Alternate) - [3:22]

14) Finale (Dialogue) - [1:15]

15) Escape from the City (Concert Suite) - [3:53]

16) Scoring War of the Worlds (Feturette) - [11:58]

17) War of the Worlds Concert Suite - [7:28]

If anyone knows any good concert suites, I've found two but I don't know what else there is heh...

This looks to be, except for a few tiny edits in a few tracks, the final track list...

Was it not the same with JFK?

For JFK, Williams wrote music to which Stone filmed the sequences. Williams later re-recorded them for sincronization.

War of the Worlds: Complete Edit

Disc 1 (1:09:02)

01) Prologue (Instrumental) - [2:54]

02) After the Storm - [2:09]

03) The Intersection Scene (Film Mix) - [4:26]

04) Ashes - Intro To (Film) - [3:35]

05) Escape from the City (Film) - [3:41]

06) Crash Site (Planned Tracked) - [1:29]

07) Tripod Footage - [0:50]

08) Floating Corpses - [0:42]

09) Refugee Status (Film) - [1:42]

10) Taking Shelter in the Diner - [1:04]

11) Tony Bennett - If I Ruled the World (Source) - [2:59]

12) The Sirens (SFX) - [0:08]

13) The Ferry Scene - [5:50] *Complete Cue!

14) Climbing Up Hill - [1:50]

15) Separation of the Family - [3:22]

16) Comforting Rachel - [1:58]

17) Ogilvy's Advice - [2:05]

18) Probing the Basement - [4:19]

19) Aliens Search the Basement - [2:47]

20) The Death of Ogilvy - [1:42]

21) Caught - [0:43]

22) Captured by the Tripods - [3:14] *complete cue!

23) Escape from the Basket - [3:13]

24) Return to Boston - [1:15]

25) Taking Down the Tripod (Film Fanfare) - [3:20]

26) The Alien Emerges - [0:38]

27) Reunion - [2:10]

28) Finale - [1:16]

29) Epilogue - [3:11]

Disc 2 (58:47)

01) Prologue (Dialogue) - [2:52]

02) Aphasia - Flatline (Robbie Source Cue) - [3:00]

03) The Intersection Scene (Album Mix) - [4:26]

04) Unknown Cue #1 - [1:10]

05) Intro To (Alternate) - [0:32]

06) Escape from the City (Alternate) - [3:43]

07) Floating Corpses (Partial Alternate) - [0:44]

08) Refugees (Alternate) - [2:41]

09) The Attack on the Car - [2:48] *Complete Track*

10) Refugee Status (Alternate) - [3:49]

11) Taking Down the Tripod (Alternate Fanfare) - [3:18]

12) Reunion (Film Alternate) - [1:56]

13) Unknown Cue #2 (Reunion?) - [1:40]

14) Finale (Instrumental Alternate) - [1:26]

15) Finale (Dialogue) - [1:15]

16) Escape from the City (Concert Suite) - [3:53]

17) Scoring War of the Worlds (Feturette) - [11:58]

18) War of the Worlds Concert Suite - [7:28]

You two could (do?) make a great team.

Well, it is a constant pleasure to work with Bernie. I do hope he finds the time and energy to do the complete Memoirs of a Geisha we've been talking about for some time now.

Miguel. thanks again for the great work! I love having your artwork for my edits... it gives them such a level of profesionality... It's great!

heh

Anyways, I wanted to announce that this edit for War of the Worlds is now uploaded and ready to be downloaded.

The FLAC files are going to be uploaded tonight. I hope you all enjoy!

You two could (do?) make a great team.

Well, it is a constant pleasure to work with Bernie. I do hope he finds the time and energy to do the complete Memoirs of a Geisha we've been talking about for some time now.

And of course, HOOOOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Nice covers miguel

I have one question though.

It says '* Includes Slight SFX'

There are none tracks with a '*'. I suppose that means all the DVD rips have SFX? :cool:

Thanks for the tip...

This was adapted from the early version, wich used the asterisc.

I'll change that and will replace the cover a.s.a.p.

Is anyone else having that problem?

I'll see about what I can do.

As far as tracks that have SFX... there are very few.

There are occasional sfx in Main Title (Instrumental)just because replacing the monologue with dvd rip...

the next track to have sfx is "Crash Site (Planned Tracked)" this has, again, extremely light sfx... almost non existent.

Tripod Footage has a slight "air" sound, but its practically un-noticeable.

The end of Refugee Status (Film) has slight rain sfx.

"Taking Shelter in the Diner" has some noises in it but is clean. When I say noises they're like... garbled clicking... they go away.

"Climbing Up Hill" has the most SFX, but I managed to get a clean ending from the DVD... so after the plane fly by, the rest is clean.

"Comforting Rachel," "Ogilvy's Advice," the first half of "Aliens Search the Basement," and "The Death of Ogilvy" have that ambiance from the cellar (the dripping) in them.

"Taking Down the Tripods (Film Fanfare)" has a little bit of SFX in it but only in the fanfare section and a 2-3 second section a little later.... but they're not BIG sfx so...

And that's it.

There was some talk here about why this soundtrack sounds so different. One person said that perhaps it's because they recorded closer to the brass...

Honestly, I think that it simply sounds that way because he doubled the normal number of brass...

and of course, used two sets of timpani...

The strings however I have noticed were a bit squished and made thin and wide this was.

If you look at the video of them recording or pics, you'll also notice that the bass section seems to have extra bass players and they stretch all the way to near center... so a lot of times in the recording, you will hear the bass right in the center...

Also, I think the reasons for this though is if you notice, the sound is very surrounding, and claustrophobic. It really gives the sense of being surrounded and in a dire, dark situation.

Thought you all might be interested in these video edits I did using my score edit.

The Intersection Scene (Complete/Album Mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhD_zX-t_Q

Intro To - (Alternate)/ Escape in the Car (Album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_JxGT3ZQqM

Reunion - Finale (Alternate 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZhEwGAV9Q

Reunion - Finale (Alternate 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMv1aUf7esY

Reunion - Finale (Alternate 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4rU5p2gieQ

Refugees (Alternate) - The Attack on the Car (Unused)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vux4TlwAuoY

Now a lot of people may be like "But GM, The Attack on the Car cue is meant for the unused Camelot sequence...

I thought so too until I tried syncing it to the video and after I included a short unreleased bit to the cue, the music suddenly fit a lot better and made more sense. I think, personally, that it was meant for the actual attack on the car. If you listen to the feturettes, they talk about the cue and show clips of the same scene... not the Camelot sequence... so I really think it was meant for this sequence. I also am considering reuploading this as I found that I can sync the music a little bit better... and I kinda want to integrate the sfx because it makes the whole experience that much more terrifying. It works really well with the sfx, which to all of you out there who hate when I do that, is really how the music is meant to be heard... with the SFX... John Williams purposely composes the music to fix with the sfx and not utilize sounds that are already present as they will get lost and such...

What do you all think?

Anyways, I've still got a couple more edits to do... I'll post them here. I figured that we'll talk about them more here than in the youtube thread.

I've posted a few more videos.

Taking Down the Tripods (Alternate Fanfare)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XivfCUhbzs0

Refugee Status (Alternate)/ Attack on the Car (With SFX)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=88kkbXyNl0I

I found that both "Refugee" alternates seem to fit the same edit I made (inserting gaps where music continues but where there must have been footage removed), which seems to prove that the trip to the ferry was a longer cut in the original scored film, which Williams scored twice. It was then cut back, and so he rescored it with a similar cue to what is heard on the album in "Ray and Rachel" but is shorter. This one does, however, start earlier just as the army goes by instead of latter... it seems to be heightening the argument, and not just the fact that rachael doesn't feel her dad can care for her as the other alternate do... I bet this is the original cue called "Refugee Status", which was then followed by the first alternate (the cue name "Ray and Rachel" seems to make much more sense in this context as well seeing as it isn't meant to heighten the fight or the refugees, but the broken relationship between father and daughter), then followed by the similarly sounding cue heard in the film.

Also, The Attack on the car had some minor editing as well. A few shots were removed before the almost running over of the lady, a few frames between Ray saying to Rachel to sit back and put her seatbelt on and the shot from the back seat showing her looking out the window... Also in the film, the shot of the guy jumping into the window as she goes to get out is a lot longer, showing people climbing on top of the car which couldn't have been in the original cut as it just doesn't fit.

So this seems to show some of the editing that occurred as well within the time span of Williams scoring and Spielberg cutting down the film.

Some interesting finds if I do say so myself.