4 minute King Kong scene on NBC

David Coscina

Did anyone perchance see this? It's available to download through a link on KongisKing.net. I wasn't too hyped for this film but seeing this 4 minute unabridged scene changed my mind. It's a quiet moment after Kong kills the T-Rex (oops, sorry for the spoiler ;)) where he takes Ann to his mountain domain. James Newton Howard's score runs through the entire scene and sounds pretty decent. I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking material but it's up to his usual calibre of string writing along with a solo flute.

I think I'll end up making the trek to see this in theatres after all. The tenor of this film appears to be more dramatic and serious than the previews make it out to be. Good on PJ! Now if we could see a version of the film on DVD with Shore's unreleased score, then we can judge for ourselves whose score would have worked better (i know, wishful thinking).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after Kong kills the T-Rex (oops, sorry for the spoiler ) where he takes Ann to his mountain domain. James Newton Howard's score runs through the entire scene and sounds pretty decent. I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking material but it's up to his usual calibre of string writing along with a solo flute.

Chris Bacon was the composer for much of the middle of the score. Perhaps we should be applauding Chris Bacon. Oh wait, I forgot, we'll never know since JNH doesn't clearly credit his ghostwriters on specific cues.

Chris Bacon was the composer for much of the middle of the score. Perhaps we should be applauding Chris Bacon. Oh wait, I forgot, we'll never know since JNH doesn't clearly credit his ghostwriters on specific cues.

And you know this how?

It really gives me goosebumps when I think what Howard Shore could have done in this scene. This is wall to wall music; why can't filmmakers and composers value silence a little more?

And you know this how?

I think what Jesse's saying is that Chris Bacon was credited with "additional music" on the web documentary, but since JNH is taking sole credit on the CD (I believe it says "music composed by JNH" not ""music composed by JNH and Chris Bacon" :)), then there can be some bitterness about it.

Tim

It's going to be the greatest film of 2005.

Sure, it's going to be to 2005 what Schindler's List was to 1993. Movie buffs will passionately discuss the Kong vs. T-Rex fight for years to come. Movies will never be the same after Jackson's King Kong.

----------------

Alex Cremers - who can't wait to see the film doing only 44% at Rotten Tomatoes :) .

Movie buffs will passionately discuss the Kong vs. T-Rex fight for years to come. Movies will never be the same after Jackson's King Kong.

Yeah, like Schindler's List did any of those things.

Something will be better than ROTS? You can't be serious!

I know Neil. Our love for ROTS will never fade, but King Kong could be the movie to take the throne from the last Star Wars epic.

Movie buffs will passionately discuss the Kong vs. T-Rex fight for years to come. Movies will never be the same after Jackson's King Kong.

Yeah, like Schindler's List did any of those things.

Yes, it did.

:? about Roald's small world.

I don't think King Kong will be that big. People will be like "ooohh, ahh" and then forget about it. Although the fight scene did harken back to Jurassic Park for me.

As for the music, has anyone else found themselves wishing they would do a replica of the original King Kong score, just with a new orchestra and obviously some new music since the new film is twice as long?

It's an excellent score, it just sounds awful. Would've been neat to hear a "modern" version of it.

about Roald's small world.

I could say the same thing about you man. Schindler's List is one of my favorite films, but don't romanticize it's influence.

Personally; I don't really care about the opinion what you refer to as "movie buffs". Also; some influential films won't really make it on my all-time favorite list. Is Friday The 13th one of your favorites?

And my film collection is probably wider than anyone else's on this board; even you. I have what you guys refer to as "arty-pics" like Breaking The Waves, Il L'Adro Di Bambini, F*cking Amal, etc. American classics like Chinatown, Mean Streats, etc. Even some very old Sergei Eissenstein stuf. I LOVE it all. I think it's great! My entire DVD collection runs over 400 discs. My favorite movies from the 90's are NOT The Mummy or The Lion King; no: Boogie Nights, 12 Monkeys and many more.

But I STILL think King Kong is going to be the best film of the year.

First I thought the movie looked pretty ridiculous. Then I though it might not be so bad. Then I saw the clip on NBC and it didn't do anything for me. Who knows?!

Ray Barnsbury

I think Munich will be a far more profound film. I'm not making KONG out to be a classic along the lines of Seven Samurai or Battleship Potemkin or Citizen Kane. But it does seem as though Jackson isn't populating his version with stupid one-liners or comedic throw-away moments. And I like his pacing for the scene. It seems less frantic as his LOTR trilogy. Less cut-aways.

JN Howard & co. score seemed fairly eloquent but not particularly resonant. But I don't think I expected a masterpiece along the lines of what Shore was porporting to do with the music. I might take the scene and score it myself for interest sake. Gotta love modern technology and sequencers!

about Roald's small world.

I could say the same thing about you man. Schindler's List is one of my favorite films, but don't romanticize it's influence.

Personally; I don't really care about the opinion what you refer to as "movie buffs". Also; some influential films won't really make it on my all-time favorite list. Is Friday The 13th one of your favorites?

And my film collection is probably wider than anyone else's on this board; even you. I have what you guys refer to as "arty-pics" like Breaking The Waves, Il L'Adro Bambini, F*cking Amal, etc. American classics like Chinatown, Mean Streats, etc. Even some very old Sergei Eissenstein stuf. I LOVE it all. I think it's great! My entire DVD collection runs over 400 discs. My favorite movies from the 90's are NOT The Mummy or The Lion King; no: Boogie Nights, 12 Monkeys and many more.

But I STILL think King Kong is going to be the best film of the year.

Prove it, Roald! I dare you :) ! Show me a photograph of your DVD collection with you standing next to it. And if they are really yours (and not your sister's) then there's still something fishy about your last sentence. Maybe it's because you love it ALL (Even a movie like Coyote Ugly)! Is that it, Roald?

I was especially referring to the fact that Schindler's List is a movie that made people think and discuss some really important issues (not the Star Wars nonsense we talk about here). Other than that, the movie was incredibly well-made. All aspects of movie making came wonderfully together and the level of each of those aspects stunned everyone, even those who only have a remote interest in film. Not only is it influential, it has become an icon.

King Kong is merely a consumer product from the category: Here today, gone tomorrow. The best film of the year me arse! If you really have a half decent DVD collection like you say you have, I truly think you would know about these things, Roald.

Of course, I could be wrong. Well, if I am, then I will call you Master Roald till the end of times. I will revalue The Prequels and even become a genuine Prequel friend. Do we have a deal?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I will reply tomorrow Alex; but believe me: I know films. And don't get me wrong; I LOVE Schindler's List. But I also have great faith in Peter Jackson. And no; I don't like Coyote Ugly at all. And my sister is only 16 years old and she does.

I WILL post a picture of my DVD and Laserdisc collection that will, hopefully, meet your approval :)

I don't think King Kong will be that big.  People will be like "ooohh, ahh" and then forget about it.  Although the fight scene did harken back to Jurassic Park for me.  

As for the music, has anyone else found themselves wishing they would do a replica of the original King Kong score, just with a new orchestra and obviously some new music since the new film is twice as long?

It's an excellent score, it just sounds awful.  Would've been neat to hear a "modern" version of it.

Why not just buy the Morgan and Stromberg complete re-recording of Steiner's score?

Neil

Also; some influential films won't really make it on my all-time favorite list. Is Friday The 13th one of your favorites?

It's funny that you mention a film that is a blatant suck off of Halloween, which came out two years earlier. :sigh:

If you want to name influences, name the film that started a trend. Even Halloween owes more to Psycho then anything, but on its own terms, pretty much started the slasher scene, and did a much better job at it.

Tim

Why not just buy the Morgan and Stromberg complete re-recording of Steiner's score?

Because I didn't know it existed. :sigh:

Still would be nice to hear it with footage.

Say, about that re-recording, is that an exclusive to Screen Archives or Film Score Monthly or something? Because I can't fin dit anywhere but there and was wondering if it was cheaper somewhere. My library system doesn't even have it, (or even Barry's score) and they have pretyt much everything on CD.

There's also two version of the same disc. The one that was originally released in '99 is more expensive then the newer release from eariler this year. Same number of tracks and everything, but the cover art is slightly modified. The one that Neil linked is the one to go with.

Tim

Oh jeez, for some reason I didn't even notice that was a link that you gave, Neil. What about the other Kong-related stuff? King Kong Lives got a good review from Filmtracks, but strangely enough he doesn't review any of the other, more famous ones... I never knew John Barry scored the remake to King Kong. Is taht worth picking up? Haven't seen the movie in ages.

I never knew John Barry scored the remake to King Kong. Is taht worth picking up? Haven't seen the movie in ages.

That score is also wonderful.

Neil

Yes by all means get Barry's score. A great mixture of dramatic and beautiful music.

As for Stromberg and Morgan's re-recording you should be able to find it in stores such as Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Hastings and Borders.

If the CD has Marco Polo as the label you'll pay a higher price than the ones labeled under Naxos and the booklets for the Naxos releases are text only, I think.

Well, Barnes and Noble, CD stores, Best Buy, Media Play, none of them have it around here so itlook slike I'll be ordering it or hopefully getting them for Christmas. I don't want to wait, but this really isn't the time for me to be buying things fo rmyself.