Consensus in music

Morlock

There could be hundreds of different opinions about a specific score/piece, ranging from best ever to the worst thing ever created.

I would like to find what pieces of music (if any) is there a consensus that it is a good/great piece of music.

Here's how it goes- propose a piece of music that you think everyone here likes (at least). If anyone says he doesn't like- it's out of here.

Please don't post something bad unless you really believe it is indead bad.

I would like to close this thread to debates. A yes or no will do just fine.

My nominations:

1. The Imperial March (Williams)

2. The Godfather (Rota)

3. Psyco (Herrmann)

4. Schindler's list (Williams)

5. ET (Williams)

6. The Good, The bad, and the ugly (Morricone)

I'll start with these.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. The Godfather (Rota)  

3. Psyco (Herrmann)  

5. ET (Williams)  

Star Trek TMP (Goldsmith)  

Conan the Barbarian (Poledouris)  

Ben-Hur (Rozsa)  

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)

so all we do is type yes or no beside them? And we have to have heard the whole things?

so all we do is type yes or no beside them?  And we have to have heard the whole things?

Yup, just yes or no. Youjustneedto have an ideaofwhat we're talking about.

@MS: So far, so good. I definatly agree

2. The Godfather (Rota)  

3. Psyco (Herrmann)  

5. ET (Williams)  

Remove The Godfather please. It's good but not great :(

hmm, i just don't get this thread. i guess i'll wait for someone else to make the first move. Should we have a list first then open it up to yes and no's?

Does it have to be film music?

Good musically or good listening-wise?

I'd like to see at least the following added:

Yoda's Theme (Williams)

Raiders' March (Williams)

The Asteroid Field (Williams)

If "classical/art" can be included, then I would nominate these:

5th Symphony (Beethoven)

9th Symphony (Beethoven)

Symphonie Fantastique (Berlioz)

Romeo & Juliet (Tchaikovsky)

Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussogsky, orch. Ravel)

Rite of Spring (Stravinsky)

Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin)

I just don't think we all have the same opinions on scores, nor do I think we all know what others opinions are. I am sure we can all agree that the SW trilogies is exellent, but once you get passed that the opinions get different.

Is it scores or individual works we are agreeing on? I'm confused, and I hope it is individual works rather than complete scores.

I think I get the idea of what Morlock is trying to do here. Like a "battle of the bands" type of contest?

I say that a couple people who are very well versed in all areas of soundtrack music make a list of 64 songs and put them in a tournament bracket. The different pieces will go head-to-head and will be eliminated round by round until we get a final four.

What do you guys think.

Hmm, and who is going to make that list of 64 tracks? :sleepy:

Someone who is well versed in all the areas. For example, Ricard and Stefancos. What are your suggestions for people to do it? I would but I am not as familiar as others are.

Gamecube, where in St. Louis are you?  I grew up in St. Charles and graduated from Francis Howell HS in '96.

I live in Clayton. Very close to the Galleria mall.

Gamecube, where in St. Louis are you?  I grew up in St. Charles and graduated from Francis Howell HS in '96.

I live in Clayton. Very close to the Galleria mall.

All this time, and I never looked at Gamecube's hometown....

I was born and raised in Florissant! Went to high school at St. Louis University High School.

But to get back to the topic at hand...

I love the idea of a bracket system. That would be really cool. After we get the 64 scores together, the hard part would be putting the right scores against each other.

Maybe like, NCAA basketball, you can give them a preliminary ranking, either randomly or based on the list maker's choice.

Then put the scores head to head and have us vote. This could be interesting if it works out.

2. The Godfather (Rota)  

3. Psyco (Herrmann)  

5. ET (Williams)  

Remove The Godfather please. It's good but not great :sleepy:

Disagree.

Well I have to say I personnaly know a lot of people in the classical business (instrumentists, conductors, teachers...) that love John Williams' writing.

Here's an anecdote:

In my first years of studying music analysis, my teacher (M. Plantard, a very VERY intelligent man, cultivated in ALL subjects) was teaching us about a prelude of Debussy "Bruyères". And in the middle of his explanation, he went to his piano and started to play: Bb__ F__ Eb D C... (which is a theme of this prelude) saying with sparkled eyes: "Doesn't that you remind of something ?" I knew then he was a Williams' fan. :jump:

I ran into him one other day as I was going to one of my other class. He just grabbed me and said: "Wow, did you hear what John gave us in the last Star Wars?" (speaking of TPM) He could have said "Hello, how are you?" or "Hey, Philippe, what do you think of..." LOL. The next day, I bought him the orchestrated score on the internet and gave it to him 2 weeks after... He was amazed like a child...

yipee

When I meet him now (I'm no longer in his class, but we stay in contact), we always speak about JW. The funniest thing is when one day he presented me to his little children, he introduced me as "the conductor who conducts Star Wars' music).... :sleepy:

OUPS... sorry, this was meant to be a post in

"IN DEFENCE OF JOHN WILLIAMS" Topic.