Bad News for Munich and the Baftas

robthehand

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The BAFTAs are much more of a joke. And, when puch comes to shove, nobody will rememeber that a film won best picture at the BAFTAs, but there's a good chance they'll remember it won best picture at the Oscars.

The BAFTAs are mostly a joke anyhow. They only would help the film by giving more steam for the Oscar race.

There far less arguments about the BAFTA's than there are about the Oscars!!!

I don't know what picture got the oscar either. Didn't A Beautiful Mind won best picture once, or something? LOL

What a farce, first The Island and now this.

I don't know what picture got the oscar either. Didn't A Beautiful Mind won best picture once, or something?  LOL

That you don't know does not exactly paint an accurate picture of the film going world at large.

Just for the record, I do not concider the Academy awards to be any form of indication as to the quality of a film. I do think, however, that the Oscars do have an important role in the life of many a motion picture, and that they are somewhat indicative of what the public at large liked at the movies the previous year. I also personaly find the best picture winner and many of the nominees among my favorites. So I don't think it is quite the joke many do.

But, without a doubt, the main thing about the Oscars for me, is the build up, the hype, the guessing, and the show itself. It does give a film fan a lot more to work with for a few months, seeing how articles, tv shows, and general public reaction seem to be geared much more heavily towards films than during most of the year. And I just loved the show growing up as a kid, and still do. I do not want John Williams to win an Oscar necasserily because I want it to be known that he won X+1 number of Oscars instead of only X number of Oscars, nor because I want someone's seal of approval on a given piece. I want to hear his name called out, to see him go to the stage, to hear the hall clap for him. It is always nice to see someone you admire being acknowlegded by someone aside yourself and life-long fans.

I agree with Morlock.

I would say the BAFTAs are not regarded as highly because the voters are British and tend to favor British-made films or films that feature British people, even though they have a separate category for best British film.

Just watch. Judi Dench will win a BAFTA.

I would say the BAFTAs are not regarded as highly because the voters are British and tend to favor British-made films or films that feature British people, even though they have a separate category for best British film.

Well, it doesn't have to be about the Americans all the time.

Well, it doesn't have to be about the British all the time, which is what the BAFTAs generaly are.

There are some exceptions, of course, like the time they awarded The Aviator or The Usual Suspects....(two of your favorites, as I recall ;):mrgreen:)

Well, it doesn't have to be about the British all the time, which is what the BAFTAs generaly are

And the oscars don't favour their own products?

Two of my favorites? I'm not keen on The Aviator, you know.

All I can say is, looking the the two lists, the Oscar lists seem to have the better films.

Morlock- who thinks last year, when The Aviator won the BAFTA over the Oscars Million Dollar Baby is the only time in recent hirtory that they have improved on the Oscars' choice.

Two of my favorites? I'm not keen on The Aviator, you know.

I was joking, hense the smilies. I remambered you were not thrilled with The Aviator, and I believe you are no big Usual Suspects fan (though I may be wrong there).

I was joking, hense the smilies. I remambered you were not thrilled with The Aviator, and I believe you are no big Usual Suspects fan (though I may be wrong there).

That's why I didn't get it. I love The Usual Suspects.

Seeing as the Oscars have given awards to Brits, Canadians, Italians, South Africans, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Greeks, to name a few (and I'm not talking about the foreign language Oscar), I think the Oscars are more cosmopolitan than the BAFTAS.

Very rarely is it about Hollywood patting itself on the back. This year, the indies will rule again. And there was 1996, when all but one of the Best Picture nominees were made by foreigners or independent companies.

Seeing as the Oscars have given awards to Brits, Canadians, Italians, South Africans, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Greeks, to name a few (and I'm not talking about the foreign language Oscar), I think the Oscars are more cosmopolitan than the BAFTAS.

Well, you and Morlock are mistaken. Why don't you check your facts before you state them. Are you so in love with the oscars that they've blinded you?

Very rarely is it about Hollywood patting itself on the back.

:mrgreen: Just when I thought I've heard it all!

Well, on those points, I won't go as far as Jeff. I don't think the Oscars are very international, not at all. But I do think that, all in all, they're the best award we've got (not that that's saying much).

True but it's rare a US composer will get a BAFTA

I'm sure if the Munich DVD would have worked still Williams wouldn't stand a chance winning,

The award would go to some unknown composer who wrote a score for a short film about exploding lizards or something like that

I'm sure if the Munich DVD would have worked still Williams wouldn't stand a chance winning,

The award would go to some unknown composer who wrote a score for a short film about exploding lizards or something like that

Please do inform yourself before making false claims. It appears the shine of Oscar gold has blinded you also. John Williams, a US composer, is he not, has won the BAFTA many times. Heck, he even got one for 'Empire Of The Sun' and deservedly so. And with that, Williams' best work was recognized, not by the oscars, but by the BAFTAS. But because the film flopped the Oscars just couldn't give him one. Oh, how typical.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Please do inform yourself before making false claims. It appears the shine of Oscar gold has blinded you also. John Williams, a US composer, is he not, has won the BAFTA many times. Heck, he even got one for 'Empire Of The Sun' and deservedly so. And with that, Williams' best work was recognized, not by the oscars, but by the BAFTAS. But because the film flopped the Oscars just couldn't give him one. Oh, how typical.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm sorry Mr Alex Cramers Sir (Solutes) :angry:

Will unpack 'The Judge' and whip my self to death LOL

Only reason I made this mistake is because I don't actually watch this pile of poo too often. But every time I do watch it some crap score wins and great scores aren't even nominated, all right?

As for the Oscars we all know how it works

The BAFTAs are mostly a joke anyhow. They only would help the film by giving more steam for the Oscar race.

And the Oscars are not?

LOL

beerchug

I agree with the judges to be honest. If the studios can't be bothered to check they get the right version of the film to the judges then it hardly looks like they made any effort to win, does it. It sucks for Spielberg and Williams though.

As for the Oscars being less of a joke than the Baftas, I wonder what won best soundtrack in 1980? The Baftas gave the award to The Empire Strikes Back that year. Who did the oscars decide to honour...?

In fact, Williams has won more Baftas than Oscars.

Yes, we do. They'll nominate/award anything that they like, provided no-one will be offended by it.

Sure thing,

but in many cases the score goes with the favoured film of the year

As for the Oscars being less of a joke than the Baftas, I wonder what won best soundtrack in 1980? The Baftas gave the award to The Empire Strikes Back that year. Who did the oscars decide to honour...?

I'm afraid to ask ... who?