Justin

Rate John Williams Score: "Star Wars"  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give it a 7. On the one hand, it's a great score that started the whole series off, but in comparison with the other scores, it's less polished, less complex, and contains a dull mid-section. So, I give it a 7 simply because of those reasons, it's still a great score.

I give it a 7.  On the one hand, it's a great score that started the whole series off, but in comparison with the other scores, it's less polished, less complex, and contains a dull mid-section.  So, I give it a 7 simply because of those reasons, it's still a great score.

Strange, a 7 is not great.

I give it a 7. On the one hand, it's a great score that started the whole series off, but in comparison with the other scores, it's less polished, less complex, and contains a dull mid-section. So, I give it a 7 simply because of those reasons, it's still a great score.

Star Wars contains the most interesting harmonies, chord patterns, etc. You'd be hard-pressed to transcribe this score by ear. The other ones, generally, contain simpler music, though the orchestrations are no less grand. Plus, the Anthology/RCA editions of Star Wars feature an extremely sharp, almost coarse sound mix. This gives it a more exposed sound, and some illusion of simplicity.

I voted 10, but it is a 10- actually (only to leave room to Empire).

As for my favourite cue, it's a TIE (oops, a tie) between Binary Sunset and TIE Fighter Attack.

Matteo

Star Wars contains the most interesting harmonies, chord patterns, etc. You'd be hard-pressed to transcribe this score by ear. The other ones, generally, contain simpler music, though the orchestrations are no less grand. Plus, the Anthology/RCA editions of Star Wars feature an extremely sharp, almost coarse sound mix. This gives it a more exposed sound, and some illusion of simplicity.

True. I can't stand them for their overly brittle sound. There's no air, no transparency. The recording doesn't breathe.

its a 6 to me. i've never really enjoyed ANH in comparison to the other 5. it could be the absence of darth vader theme. or the crappy sound quality (in comparison to ROTJ onwards). mainly i think it was JW when he was not as emotional as he is now. imo, he was too immature at that time(compositionwise), so his score for ANH lacks the emotional quality that appears in the later scores and the end of ROTJ imo.

my rating:

ANH=6

ESB=7

ROTJ=9

TPM=8

AOTC=7

ROTS=10

its a 6 to me. i've never really enjoyed ANH in comparison to the other 5. it could be the absence of darth vader theme. or the crappy sound quality (in comparison to ROTJ onwards). mainly i think it was JW when he was not as emotional as he is now. imo, he was too immature at that time(compositionwise), so his score for ANH lacks the emotional quality that appears in the later scores and the end of ROTJ imo.  

my rating:

ANH=6

ESB=7

ROTJ=9

TPM=8

AOTC=7

ROTS=10

The internet is an amazing place.

tis true. ANH is not my favourite star wars score. yes it started the series but i rather love ROTJ or ROTS. being jwfans dont mean we have to vote 10 for ANH in particular. i reserve the best ratings of 11 to SL, JP and ET. Those three are too good and will never be beat.

tis true. ANH is not my favourite star wars score. yes it started the series but i rather love ROTJ or ROTS.  being jwfans dont mean we have to vote 10 for ANH in particular. i reserve the best ratings of 11 to SL, JP and ET. Those three are too good and will never be beat.

It not only started the series but it's also the most praised, celebrated, honored, covered and awarded one. It's a classic in every sense of the word. Not so for the last 3 SW scores, I'm afraid. The thematic material on the first one is immense. There's not one note that feels generic or autopilot.

That said, I confess that I seldom listen to any of the CD versions. I can't stand their painfully brittle, unnatural, lifeless sound. I don't know, maybe it sounds good on bad speakers.

BTW, musically, your unbeatable E.T. has a lot more in common with Star Wars than with the Prequels.

It not only started the series but it's also the most praised, celebrated, honored, covered and awarded one.

You know how that works, though. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the best score. It started it all, and people avoid series' like the plague. It's the closest to a stand-alone score, so "they" will approve of ANH more than any of the others. It's just like politics, which is unnecessary. ANH isn't the best score of the series. By far ESB, ROTJ and ROTS are more thematically complex, more engaging, and more interesting. TPM suffers the same as ANH. Excellent climax. But first act really drags, with a few exceptions. Almost always skimmed through by myself. I'm not trying to cut down Williams, compare that to much other music out in the last fifty years, and it's still better by leagues. I'm only discussing in terms of the other Star Wars films.

TPM is great. Possibly even better than RotJ IMO, and better than RotS too. We just haven't heard it in its full uncut glory yet.

I don't understand what is wrong in TPM Ultimate Edition.(wrong order of the music,some cuts or

does it miss something from the movie?)For me it is a great comeback to the glorious

world of Star Wars music...

The music is hacked, looped, and edited further to match the film. It is, apart from the finale track, pretty much an isolated film score sans volume shifts slapped on CD.

It is not the music as Williams wrote it and intended it to play out, and music that was written and recorded but unused is not on the UE.

What makes it even worse is that Sony advertised it as "every note written for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace," a statement that has left a sour taste with some to this day.

The music features some horrible edits, and the music is often not represented the way Williams intended it (especially all the action music on CD 2).

Duel Of The Fates is tracked and looped over and over again and intercut with other music, despite the fact that the tempo's are completely different.

The tracktitles are moronic, and printed on the CD is a blurn that this release contains every note williams wrote for the film. Something that is absolutely untrue.

and what I hate most about it is the way Sony Classical thinks that I am a moron dumb enough not to notice a shoddy product when I see/hear it.

Yes, I consider this release to be an insult to me personally! It's Sony giving me the finger

Some people here may have been complaining about certain errors/descision on the FOTR 3 CD set, but that thing is a masterpiece of CD production compared to the UE.

Stefancos- who still has to vent his anger every now or then.

ANH isn't the best score of the series.  By far ESB, ROTJ and ROTS are more thematically complex, more engaging, and more interesting.

No, their style is different. From TESB on, everything sounds more like sweeping film music with more typical interchangable action cues and therefore less interesting to me.

The prequels sound like small fragments glued together with arrangements being more important than ideas.

Maybe you got the point. I might be "blinded" by the new sound quality

and the great playing of LSO.

..but I have to admit that I enjoy most part of the prequel sound

I pretty much agree with Alex.

Every time the score picks up to something really startling or magnificent, it quickly dies down again and settles into what is basically "functional underscore".

TPM as a whole, as Williams intended it is a good, solid very decent score.

But it's not the album I go for when I feel like listening to star wars music.

well it has to be said that the soundquality on the TPM EU is nothing short of amazing.

Is this the same Shawn Murphy who recorded A.I.?

Yes, Williams should go back to Abbey Road and rerecord the first trilogy in the same way they did TPM EU. Then we can finally throw them old discs (all of them) out of the window.

well it has to be said that the soundquality on the TPM EU is nothing short of amazing.

Is this the same Shawn Murphy who recorded A.I.?

You have something against him.Nice guy according to the interwiews

But knowing your style A.I. must badly recorded.Great music thou

Knowing my style?

I'm not making a judgement about Murphy's personality.

It's his work on certain scores that I put into question.

TPM makes me think Murphy is the best in the bussiness.

A.I. and Minority Report makes me think he's Williams worst enemy.

Knowing my style?

I'm not making a judgement about Murphy's personality.

It's his work on certain scores that I put into question.

TPM makes me think Murphy is the best in the bussiness.

A.I. and Minority Report makes me think he's Williams worst enemy.

I am sorry Stefancos. Totally misunderstanding.

Limited skills in english language and too much red wine: Bad combination!

...and as Justin wrote in the other thread(too many people here who can't

type or can't english) I'm out of here...back to the lurking business...

Ps. about my Mr.Murphy comment:it wast ment to be more like joke.

Sometimes I find him too "nice" praising his friends...

I hope that's a joke. :P

If Justin said that then he should shut up.

Feel free to post here, your contributions are more then welcome.

If Justin said that then he should shut up.

Feel free to post here, your contributions are more then welcome.

Indeed.

Justin

I'm sure "Binary Sunset", "Tales of a Jedi Knight", "Burning Homestead", "Princess Leia's Theme" and "Ben Kenobi's Death" are just in line with what you're saying.

another of John's perfect 10 scores,

best track, Ben Kenobi's Death/the Tie Fighter Attack

A rare JoeinAr post.