JW wins the Golden Globe!

Dr.IanMalcolm

This is the first major non honorary award Williams has won in the history of the Message Board.I am so used to him losing that I am shocked.

K.M.

You got that right, king mark. When I first became a fan of JW in 2001, I looked up his awards and noticed that he did not win the Golden Globe for Schindler's List. That was also shocking to learn.

Hopefully this win will give him a better chance at winning an Oscar, too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the damn Brokeback film an award for best song and keep best score for Johnny at the oscars. Memoirs could very well follow the trend of Frida a few years ago.

Give the damn Brokeback film an award for best song and keep best score for Johnny at the oscars. Memoirs could very well follow the trend of Frida a few years ago.

Let us hope so.

Brokeback is sweeping everything else.Like I've said Williams may get Memoirs a consolation prize at the Oscar.Now everyone will take notice of it.

It's great that the "press",seeing Memoirs as beeing somewhat of a failiure in general terms,sees Williams as the only thing that worth awarding something to.

K.m.

yay, maestro!!!

Geisha is indeed an A-score, it recreates very well the japanese sounding and setting of the story.

scissorhands - happy for him :|

I was watching "24" on the only cable television in my dorm.

~Conor

You need to straighten out your priorities.

K.m.

Sorry, but "24" is primary priority :thumbup:

Williams scores generally transcend to great levels outside of the movie for which they are written, so whether or not the film is good, the score is still a work of art that can be recognized on its own terms.

Tim

Well, whichever may have been my priority, I had no choice, as others had "24" on before me. However, I knew I could find out the results of the Golden Globes anytime, but "24" would be harder to experience and find out about withouit seeing it.

~Conor

It is.It wouldn't have won if it wasn't.

"Brokeback Mountain,lets just say it rhymes with chick flick" *shocked silence* LOL :|

Gotta love Dennis Quaide

Well looks like Williams won the ONLY award for Memoirs

K.M.

yeah,try explaining to other college students."sorry,can I see if this 73 year old dude I idolize won a golden globe for best film score?"

I probably wouldn't have set off the nerd alarm myself

k.M.

Right now Williams is in the best possible position to win the Oscar.

How often does the best score winner for the Golden Globes go on to win the Oscar?Who won it last year?

K.M.

The show is tape-delayed an hour in my time zone, so I just saw it on TV, then ran to the computer to post it. Forgot it was live everywhere east of me.

I, too, was shocked, but then more shocked that he was actually there.

This is indeed the first major win I've experienced with John Williams since joining the board. I think it's the first major win he's had since "Schindler's List." I remember my excitement when he won the Oscar that year, and I hope to feel that again.

By the way, KM, the Golden Globes are more notorious for picking weird scores as their winners ("Heaven on Earth," that Morricone score from the Keanu Reeves movie). And they also picked "The Truman Show" one year, which was not eligible for an Oscar. But some years they get it right.

Jeff -- watching clips of Anthony Hopkins and listening to the John Adams theme in a scene from "Amistad."

yeah,try explaining to other college students."sorry,can I see if this 73 year old dude I idolize won a golden globe for best film score?"

I probably wouldn't have set off the nerd alarm myself

k.M.

Oh. Well, I was working on my room and a friend came in to tell me he had won.

Oh. Well, I was working on my room and a friend came in to tell me he had won.

I think we should give your friend an honorary membership to the JWFan club. Good for him knowing how important the award is and choosing to watch over other duties. :|

This means nothing to me.

Yes, yes, we get that you don't care what other people think about Williams etc. So what makes you think your minimal input means anything to anyone else?

Well this is a thread where we can share our feelings about this development, I just wanted to share my lack of feelings.

On their website, they credit Jack Lemmon as the most nominated person ever for the Golden Globes, with 22 nods. But that's exacly the amount of nominations JW has received.

This means nothing to me.

Yes, yes, we get that you don't care what other people think about Williams etc. So what makes you think your minimal input means anything to anyone else?

Well this is a thread where we can share our feelings about this development, I just wanted to share my lack of feelings.

You're just grumpy he didn't win for Potter. :|

I don't see what all the fuss about Brokeback Mountain is -- all the people involved in the film have called it just a romance story. The fact that the lead characters are gay is irrelevent, and should not be why it's getting so many nominations. And let's face it, if it was about a man and a woman nobody would care about it, and it wouldn't be nearly as celebrated. If the unremarkable score for a controversial score is nominated or wins anything, it really does show how little the Academy or any other awards people have to do with quality.

Not that we already didn't know that.

Ledger's pissed me off for a while now, being a holier-than-thou douchebag during those Sydney anti-war protests, then spitting on photographers (housing commission behaviour) and being a twit during interviews.

Go Philip Seymour Hoffman! One of this generation's true character actors.

Well we get to watch the awards tonight, old chum. Unfortunately I'm sure Channel 10 is far more concerned on what the people are wearing than what they are winning. Wake me up when Williams wins.

It's not irrelevent for the Oscars.

K.M.

Yes, that was my point. It shouldn't be an issue. It shouldn't mean anything at all. The fact it's being recognised because they're gay is almost as bad as ignoring it because they're gay.

Well we get to watch the awards tonight, old chum. Unfortunately I'm sure Channel 10 is far more concerned on what the people are wearing than what they are winning. Wake me up when Williams wins.

Usually, I avoid internet and TV on Globes day (same with the Oscars) until our local channels air it that night, but I got lazy today. But otherwise, I remember years ago, my suspense was killed when a news update during an ad break during one of these award shows gave a recap of the winners for Best Picture and Best Actor, etc. That made me one cranky kid.

What's Brokeback Mountain like, anyway?

if memoirs gets nominated, part of it will definately be for best costume/art direction or whatever that thingy is. plus the score obviousyl.