What do you think of the Harry Potter book series?

Gamecube

What do you think of the Harry Potter book series?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• It's exellent!
    • It's okay
    • It's bad
    • I havn't read the series

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think that the three first books are excellent,

however, "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" is horrible!

That makes me worried. As the latest book was crap, I have lost many expectations I had on book 5 of the series - in fact, I am even questioning if all the seven books will ever be written (and I am even more doubtfull HP4 and the others will be made into movies).

If they are making the three first books on film, then we`ll have excellent books transformed into a trilogy of excellent movies.

One reason why HP is so popular (I think), is that the concept is very original. Rowling has written a "one of a kind book" - I mean, there has never been a book about a boy from the modern world who becomes a wizard. At least not in that way.

love 'em.  They are the best.  I can't see them ever going out of style.  It's true literature.
what she said
what he said she said.
LOL

LOL

however,  "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" is horrible!

That makes me worried. As the latest book was crap, I have lost many expectations I had on book 5 of the series - in fact, I am even questioning if all the seven books will ever be written (and I am even more doubtfull HP4 and the others will be made into movies).  

If they are making the three first books on film, then we`ll have excellent books transformed into a trilogy of excellent movies.  

One reason why HP is so popular (I think), is that the concept is very original. Rowling has written a "one of a kind book" - I mean, there has never been a book about a boy from the modern world who becomes a wizard. At least not in that way.

I couldn't diisagree more. Goblet of Fire was the best of the series. On first glance I could see how Ren thougth it to be rushed, but after second reading I am convinced those last 150 pages are pure genius. Seemingly every word, phrase, gesture in those last pages are calculated, filled with hidden meanings, and forshawdowing events to come. It is the most emotionally grounded of the 4 books.

Goblet represents friendship, loyatly, honor, disceet, hatred, dishonor. There is life's duality represented here.

The book truely forshawdows Mr Olivander's statement to Harry that we can expect a great many thing from him. The die is cast, now we wait to turn the page.

I do agree with you Joe.

I get the foreshadowing and everything and I am impressed with the genius. I still can't get out of my head how all the words seem to spill from the book like the cubes in scrabble. It's like you are trying to make sense of all the stuff that is spilling out so quickly and it's coming so fast you get dizzy. I'm sure that in part this is what JK intended but I still feel like it was so fast that I missed stuff. I'm on my third read.

They were never intended to be childrens books. Rouling wrote them for adults. Note the swearing. It just turned out to be lovable to kids too.

i don't like GoF as much as the other books either. It seems that there isn't enough hogwarts in the books. There isn't as much sneaking around. I just learned WAY too much at the end for it to be as enjoyable.

And Ren don't you mean Boggle? :)

Never read em. I feel like they are more kids books sorry.

LOTR was basically a sequel to The Hobbit, which was in essence a children's book, and FOTR's early chapters have a similar style. And with a look at your screen name....don't tell me Star Wars isn't essentially "for children", too. And the Potter books are very much in the same way as those series.

I didn't know about Potter for a long time. First time I heard about it was during the reports about the hype when GoF came out, but I didn't really care back then. Then I noticed several people I knew started reading them, and at the same time it was revealed that Williams was going to score the first movie, so I became intrigued.

I borrowed the first two books from my aunt and cousin. After the first few sentences, I was reminded very much of The Hobbit in style, and knew this was going to be enjoyable. After a couple of pages, I was hooked. I'm a slow reader, and don't often read many chapters at once, but I even stopped working (I used to work at home) for several days and kept reading them all the time.

Luckily, another friend of mine was also reading the books and lent me the third one just after I had finished CoS, because I didn't want to wait until I was my aunt and/or cousin again. When I reached the second Quidditch match in the middle of the book, I couldn't put it down anymore. I sat from 3:00 in the afternoon until 6:00 in the morning (pausing only to eat) and read the rest of the book without any major interruptions.

So there I was, wanting to read the fourth book, but none was available to borrow - so I rushed out and bought it the next day. I have to say it did drag somewhat, the exposition in particular, but the finale...as a whole, the 3rd book is my favourite so far, but nothing beats the finale of GoF. It's no exaggeration to say that I was simply shocked by the end. What a cliffhanger - and we still don't have the next one.

I got the first three books for Christmas and am currently re-reading the whole series; I'm in the middle of book #4 now, and like the first time, I read the whole second half of Azkaban without interruption.

It's just all brilliantly done. The depth and perfectionism reminds me of Tolkien (of course, Middle-Earth is still far more detailed and complex, but he worked a hole lifetime on it, after all). The characters are all intriguing and never get dull or boring. They're all brilliantly written - in many cases, it's the writing that makes what would otherwise be "filler bits" totally entertaining. Most importantly though, each book is basically a very clever whodunnit. The clever bit is that all the information you need to solve it is usually right there in the first few chapters, but I never could figure it out. Not a single sentence is wasted - everything is important in one way or another. The one thing I found easy to solve was the inscription on the Mirror of Erised. But Rowling never repeats any of her tricks. I was prepared to look for another palindrome or something similar, and I did find the name Tom Marvolo Riddle to look rather funny - but I couldn't figure out the anagram. Black and Lupin - all you need to know to know what they're about is right there in the names, but I didn't see it until the end of the book.

If you've only seen the film, you might say it's nice, but a children's film (like a friend of mine did). Give the books a chance. The film strongly linearized the plot, because it would be hard to keep up with it the way it works in the book (where you can pause and think). Whatever you think about it, it's certainly NOT superficial, straightforward, or easy.

Marian - who was a fan before the end of the first chapter. :)

I knew almost nothing about Harry Potter (other than JW was scoring it!) until I sat down in a theater to see the very first showing out of curiosity, and to get ahead of the crowds. Five minutes in I was hooked like I have seldom been hooked before, and in the months since I have already read all the books twice. They have gotten better and better, and the foreshadowing at the end of GOF was wonderful. I can't wait for the next one.

By the way, I never read Lord of the Rings before I saw the movie either. I had to see it twice before I really got everything, but I am now hooked on that also, and have just finished reading the trilogy for the second time. I'm a quick reader! LOL

By the way, who noticed JKR's nice Monty Python tribute in Honeydukes?

Marian - who found that very nice indeed. :)

PS: Just found a cool online Potter lexicon.

PPS: It even has a separate section dealing with troubles with dates in the Potter books, like the Birthday stuff w recently discussed.

I've only read the first, but I read it faster than any book I've read, I found it very addictive.

I couldn't agree more with Joe, Ren, etc. These books are great. Jo Rowling is a genius, and the end of the fourth book is undescribably brilliant. Book 5 can't come soon enough.

Ray Barnsbury

They're all brilliantly written - in many cases, it's the writing that makes what would otherwise be "filler bits" totally entertaining. Most importantly though, each book is basically a very clever whodunnit. The clever bit is that all the information you need to solve it is usually right there in the first few chapters, but I never could figure it out. Not a single sentence is wasted - everything is important in one way or another. The one thing I found easy to solve was the inscription on the Mirror of Erised. But Rowling never repeats any of her tricks. I was prepared to look for another palindrome or something similar, and I did find the name Tom Marvolo Riddle to look rather funny - but I couldn't figure out the anagram. Black and Lupin - all you need to know to know what they're about is right there in the names, but I didn't see it until the end of the book.
I get the foreshadowing and everything and I am impressed with the genius. I still can't get out of my head how all the words seem to spill from the book like the cubes in scrabble. It's like you are trying to make sense of all the stuff that is spilling out so quickly and it's coming so fast you get dizzy. I'm sure that in part this is what JK intended but I still feel like it was so fast that I missed stuff. I'm on my third read.
I am convinced those last 150 pages are pure genius. Seemingly every word, phrase, gesture in those last pages are calculated, filled with hidden meanings, and forshawdowing events to come. It is the most emotionally grounded of the 4 books.

:angry::):nod::(

Great Post, Marian! Ren and Joe too!

I've only read the first, but I read it faster than any book I've read, I found it very addictive.

Exactly. So get started on the second.....it gets better and better....

So instead of spending 12 hours hanging around on this board....take the time to read the books instead.... you might like them! :P;)

Marian's post was so well written and passionate about the books I am actually considering reading one now. :(

Hmmm ... was I wrong after all?

OK I will admit I am judging the series PRETTY MUCH from the film.

That may not be the best way to go about it obviously. Anyway I will have to reconsider my thoughts on this series.

I'm inspired to write some more here. I never liked reading "kids" books before, even when I started teaching the kids. I liked to read Stephen King and stuff. Then I heard about all the hype and found out JW was scoring. So I though to myself - hey, I can teach about JW and the kids will be hooked because it's HP related. I started reading the books and was hooked. I couldn't believe the play on words and the great plot. I loved SS, wasn't too fond of CoS, PoA was my absolute favorite and GoF is tied with SS.

William, you must read the books,

they are very quick and easy reads. However there are alot of details and nuances to the stories, that requires you to pay attention. I don't know if you did or did not like the film, but most of the people who really care for the books seem to really like the film. It really does justice to the novel.

One thing about it, the characters in the 4 Potter novels are far more engaging and real, than anything in the recent Star Wars films. Handled properly the quality of each film should surpases the previous.

however,  "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" is horrible!

What worries me is that you liked the first three books but not the fourth. Is that even possible? I mean, what is the matter with you? Book Four was much more complex, mature, and engaging than the first three, by far. I'm just shocked.

There's something else I wanted to say... it seems to me that of all books I've read, the Potter books work very much like a symphony. There are recurring themes (characters, situations), variations (each book starts at Privet drive, but the transition to Hogwarts is totally different each time) and most importantly, counterpoints - all the stuff going on simultaneously (school, adventures), it hardly ever happens that there's only ONE major bit in a section of the books. Plus there's always a bunch of characters you try to sort out, all doing their own things at the same time - counterpoints. :P

This might basically apply to most books, but I haven't found anything that "felt" as much like music as I think Rowling's books do. Staying with this analogy, the Potter books are so compressed and packed with information, if something like LOTR was a symphony, the Potter series had more chamber music-like orchestrations.

I didn't catch the Harry Potter hype until just before the film was released. Therefore, I didn't read the books before the film.

That said, I absolutely love the film, and am certain that the book's appeal across all ages is evident. I think that JK Rowling did a good job with creating characters, giving them exciting adventures and even a lot of heart.

But I won't read the books. I loved not knowing what would happen next in the film, and I want to keep that anticipation for the remainder.

After the series is over, I'll revisit Harry in the books.

Jeff -- who generally doesn't read a lot of fiction

But I won't read the books. I loved not knowing what would happen next in the film, and I want to keep that anticipation for the remainder.  

Believe me, this IS the wrong way. When reading the books, you'll also love not knowing what's going to happen. You do however have lots of clues and hints. The biggest fun in the books is that you're constantly trying to figure out how it's all going to fit together, and yet you'll be totally surprised at the end. It's basically just what you liked about the film - but while the film is great, that's just what's so much, much more better about the books.

Believe me, you're ruining it if you watch the movies first.

Marian - worried.

:P Final Fantasy (Elliot Goldenthal)

Believe me, this IS the wrong way. When reading the books, you'll also love not knowing what's going to happen. You do however have lots of clues and hints. The biggest fun in the books is that you're constantly trying to figure out how it's all going to fit together, and yet you'll be totally surprised at the end. It's basically just what you liked about the film - but while the film is great, that's just what's so much, much more better about the books.

Believe me, you're ruining it if you watch the movies first.

Marian - worried.

You make a very intelligent and heartfelt plea, Marian. I am seriously considering picking up the books. I'll need something to read on vacation, anyway.

One thing about it, the characters in the 4 Potter novels are far more engaging and real, than anything in the recent Star Wars films.

Having not even read the books I will agree with this outright. ;)

There's something else I wanted to say... it seems to me that of all books I've read, the Potter books work very much like a symphony. There are recurring themes (characters, situations), variations (each book starts at Privet drive, but the transition to Hogwarts is totally different each time) and most importantly, counterpoints - all the stuff going on simultaneously (school, adventures), it hardly ever happens that there's only ONE major bit in a section of the books. Plus there's always a bunch of characters you try to sort out, all doing their own things at the same time - counterpoints.

Lucas has said he tries to do this ;)

My opinion:

Overrated kids' books. Also a mixture of differents other fiction books-movies. Just the thing that the bad mages are the DARKSIDE makes me sick.

I love mages. But in their timeline. (medieval) just put mages in our time is a little 'silly'. I love dragonlance, it has the best mages and dragons of the fantasy world.

The only thing i like of HP, the movie is the old mage, that it is FAR BETTER make-uped that Gandalf. It look like a wizard like Saruman.

PS: i haven't read any of the books. And i will not. If i were 10 i could try them, but not now. Don't waste time telling me they are good, neither that HP is better than SW. (i already know your hate for SW :mrgreen:) THis is my opinion. Sorry :pukeface:

You make a very intelligent and heartfelt plea, Marian. I am seriously considering picking up the books. I'll need something to read on vacation, anyway.

Go with what Marian says,

You really leave out the little nuances and foreshadowing from the books. They leave all the little side stories out in the movie.

Overrated kids' books.

How can you know if you haven't read them? That's a simple prejudice - one I shared before I started to read them myself. Perhaps you'll think the same of them when you try to read them, but without trying, you can't know.

Also a mixture of differents other fiction books-movies.

Like Star Wars. :pukeface:

Just the thing that the bad mages are the DARKSIDE makes me sick.

Well, the name comes from Star Wars. You could say the concept comes from LOTR, or perhaps from somewhere else.

I love mages. But in their timeline. (medieval) just put mages in our time is a little 'silly'.

I'm generally not fond at all of mixing medieval fantasy and scifi (like Final Fantasy). But it's not like that in Potter. I honestly never even though about this so far. :angry:

The only thing i like of HP, the movie is the old mage, that it is FAR BETTER make-uped that Gandalf. It look like a wizard like Saruman.

They're totally different kinds of wizards. McKellen was a perfect Gandalf, and Harris was a good Dumbledore. They would be pretty stupid the other way round.

i haven't read any of the books. And i will not. If i were 10 i could try them, but not now.

One question: Why?

Don't waste time telling me they are good, neither that HP is better than SW. (i already know your hate for SW :mrgreen:) THis is my opinion.

I love Star Wars. I thoroughly enjoyed AOTC as a whole, and I even like TPM.

The Potter books are more than just good. I don't know about being "better" than Star Wars. I could accept your opinion - if it had any base. But I don't see where your opinion comes from when you don't even know the books?

Well said.

If you havn't read the books you can't possibly know how good they are. The books are not overated at all. They are simply a masterpeice which everyone should enjoy... exept the people who who think they are evil and burn them. :mrgreen:

Luke let me be real blunt, you read those Star Wars novels, when compared to Harry Potter on a literary scale Harry is a whole lot farther up that scale than any, and I repeat any Star Wars book. All those Star Wars books are kids books as well. They are written on a junior high level. Few are particulary well written, though some are much better than others.

Truth be known, most of the science fiction series books are written by thousands of monkeys hidden in a backroom. They are forced to work hours upon hours nonstop. To facilitate this they are fed a daily regimen of various forms of crank, cocaine, heroine, and other drugs. Some are given halucinagenics. They type and type, and somedays they get dozens of usable pages sometime fewer. The better stuff has Timothy Zahn's name put on it, the weaker stuff ends up under RA Salvatore. Star Trek also has the monkey factory going, as do romance and standard fiction. Ann Rule is actually a 57 year old chimpanzee who is forced to watch old film noir while taking massive nicotine shots. Now you know the truth about "true crime" books. Usually only real people write history, business and current affair, but not always. Martha Stewart usually uses gay orangatans to write her books. While Stephen King uses old circus monkeys, and chimps. Tom Clancy actually started writing his own books, thinking he could do better, and he comes up with his lastest Red Rabbit, which from all accounts is about as bad as a Star Wars pulp novel. Hey Tom, two words, spider monkeys.

If you read my entire post, i said SORRY, because i expected what was going to come.

HP books have no appeal for me, sorry (again).

(and i said 'do not waste time beating SW...' PLEASE, thanks for trying :? ...)

Things like Nimbus 2000 make me feel a chill on my back... :biglaugh:

My older sister liked them... but sorry just i do not like the story! if i liked i'll try it. I have read the Raistlin Chronicles (the story of Raisltin from birth to youthhood), and i enjoyed them because they are medieval mages, i mean if the story was set in the dark ages it could be cool (for me) but since it isn't....

If you read my entire post, i said SORRY, because i expected what was going to come.

HP books have no appeal for me, sorry (again).

(and i said 'do not waste time beating SW...' PLEASE, thanks for trying  :? ...)

Things like Nimbus 2000 make me feel a chill on my back...  :biglaugh:  

My older sister liked them... but sorry just i do not like the story! if i liked i'll try it. I have read the Raistlin Chronicles (the story of Raisltin from birth to youthhood), and i enjoyed them because they are medieval mages, i mean if the story was set in the dark ages it could be cool (for me) but since it isn't....

Usually intelligent people reserve judgement on likes and dislikes until after they try something. Don't let your stupid prejudices stop you from trying the first book. If you try reading it and don't like it fine, but if you haven't read it, then you should have no opinion. Besides you read books written by monkeys what do you know. :wow: LOL LOL LOL