What do you think of the Harry Potter book series?

Gamecube

What do you think of the Harry Potter book series?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• It's exellent!
    • It's okay
    • It's bad
    • I havn't read the series

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read my entire post, i said SORRY, because i expected what was going to come.

(and i said 'do not waste time beating SW...' PLEASE, thanks for trying  :? ...)

Well, SORRY, but I can't accept that. :)

HP books have no appeal for me, sorry (again).

How do you know? If you knew them, and said that, I would accept it. But as it is, all I see is you denying yourself some of the most brilliant stories I've ever read/seen/heard. And particularly as a Star Wars fan, I can't see why you wouldn't like it.

Things like Nimbus 2000 make me feel a chill on my back...  :biglaugh:

Hm....let's see... C3PO, R2D2, Millenium Falcon, Calamari Cruiser, Jawa Sandcrawler, Sand People, Podracers, Jabba the Hutt... :P

but sorry just i do not like the story! if i liked i'll try it.

You don't know the story. Even if you've seen the film, that has the main story, but not all the stuff that makes it so great. It's like watching TPM without having seen any of the other movies and saying you don't like Star Wars.

i mean if the story was set in the dark ages it could be cool (for me) but since it isn't....

Where's the difference? The only major difference I see is that Potter isn't clicheed - simply because when there are clichees, they're used deliberately and toyed with.

Look at Star Wars....it takes place "a long, long time ago", has lots of spaceships, and yet the most important bit about it is The Force - and if that isn't magic, I don't know what is.

Marian - who's near the end of GoF and thinks he noticed something important. :)

Excellent books. Outstanding. I got diverted away from CoS early on, but then came back to it later, reread it from the start, and continued on through the rest. Anyone who could call this a "children's story" after the events of 3 and 4 either haven't read the books (I'll get to that in a minute!) or don't have a dramatic clue.

Well, I think that the three first books are excellent,  

however, "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" is horrible!  

That makes me worried. As the latest book was crap, I have lost many expectations I had on book 5 of the series - in fact, I am even questioning if all the seven books will ever be written (and I am even more doubtfull HP4 and the others will be made into movies).  

If they are making the three first books on film, then we`ll have excellent books transformed into a trilogy of excellent movies.

Can't agree with you there. The tone of the series has changed subtly, but that was to be expected. If all the books read like the first one, it would be a shallow epic indeed. Not, of course, to say that I didn't like the first one - just that stories, and especially sagas, need their landscape to change over time. We want things to be different in the end than they were in the beginning - and preferably, we'd like to be a little different, too.

Actually, I think the fourth book is where Rowling was heading the story from the start; she just had to establish setting and context first, and I love that she took her time doing it. It's been a true pleasure getting to know this world and these characters (can there be any higher compliment for a literary work?).

Believe me, you're ruining it if you watch the movies first.

Absolutely. The same's true for LOTR. I feel sickened, thinking about an entire generation who will be culled into seeing the movie first, and missing one of the truly awesome literary experiences of our time.... :cry:

Oh, and incidentally....very well done, Marian. No one could have summed things up better. ;)

Overrated kids' books. Also a mixture of differents other fiction books-movies. Just the thing that the bad mages are the DARKSIDE makes me sick.

And you know this...how? You haven't read the books, fercryinoutloud! Just howd'ya know what sort of "other fiction books/movies" you might find mixed up in there? I believe it's the originality of the books that have made them so endearing and wildly popular. But then again....the old adage says that there are no original stories left to be told, that everything we read or see - or write ourselves - is just a variation on what is likely an already ancient storyline. Nothing wrong with this, of course; what's important is how you tell it, and if it's done cleverly enough then that'll substitute nicely for "originality."

On the same note: if you think "dark side" - either the concept or the phrase itself - was coined for the first time by Lucas or Star Wars, you're out of your mind. That one's as old as they come.

In any case, while I believe in the wonderful freedom of opinion we have here....I can't possibly lend any weight to yours. It would be the same as someone who's never seen a movie or heard the works of JW calling him a hack.

Luke let me be real blunt, you read those Star Wars novels, when compared to Harry Potter on a literary scale Harry is a whole lot farther up that scale than any, and I repeat any Star Wars book. All those Star Wars books are kids books as well. They are written on a junior high level. Few are particulary well written, though some are much better than others.

This is absolutely true, and it's the reason I couldn't stomach more than one series of them after the Timothy Zahn trilogy. Zahn did the job admirably, paying due tribute while creating a compelling story of his own, but I haven't seen the equal of it since. There's nothing wrong with fanfic, I guess, but it doesn't get any free rides; it still has to come up with the goods, and the vast majority of SW (and Star Trek) novels don't even come close.

But again, you're comparing apples and oranges when you've never had even a taste of citrus fruit before. You're welcome to avoid the books, if that's what you want; but if that's what you choose, then you also ought to avoid reviewing them out of place.

A quick opinion on the delay of the fifth book: I could be way off here, but I think Rowling might just be burning out on the series. It was an enchanting idea when it was the fantasy of a destitute single mother, but now that it, and she, have gained worldwide popularity, it would stand to reason that the honeymoon's rapidly coming to an end. She has a million things on her schedule that she didn't used to, an empire of merchandising, and novels that keep getting longer with each one she writes. Not an easy workload, and something that can easily lead to creative fatigue. Just a thought, mind you; I don't have any insider information.

Anyway, good discussion, folks. :mrgreen:

- Uni

Absolutely. The same's true for LOTR. I feel sickened, thinking about an entire generation who will be culled into seeing the movie first, and missing one of the truly awesome literary experiences of our time....

Seeing the movies for both HP and LOTR sent me running to read the books, and I think that will be true for many more people too.

A quick opinion on the delay of the fifth book: I could be way off here, but I think Rowling might just be burning out on the series.  It was an enchanting idea when it was the fantasy of a destitute single mother, but now that it, and she, have gained worldwide popularity, it would stand to reason that the honeymoon's rapidly coming to an end.  She has a million things on her schedule that she didn't used to, an empire of merchandising, and novels that keep getting longer with each one she writes.  Not an easy workload, and something that can easily lead to creative fatigue.  Just a thought, mind you; I don't have any insider information.

Anyway, good discussion, folks.  :P  

- Uni

Actually, she is not burning out as you might think, she just wants to make sure that she delivers the best quality that she possible can. She demands it of herself, and she feels the fans deserve it. I can wait, though it is painful. Since I first read the books in fall of 2001, I figure its a small price to pay to wait until the summer of 2003. I have waited longer for a Star Wars film. I suspect that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will deliver far more than TPM or AOTC did. Of course Harry has one advantage the new trilogy of Star Wars doesn't, characters that we care about.

film superior to it's book. . . .hmmm i'll have to think about that one,

the polls say that if you've read the HP series you either like it or not. No one has voted "OK" that's a start!

I guess Luke voted "Its bad".

Thats it young Skywalker. Let the hate flow! Now take your Jedi weapon and strike Harry Potter down with all of your hatred and your journey to the dark side WILL BE COMPLETE!!! :P

Also, according to reports, OoP will be shorter than GoF. A good thing, I guess - otherwise, the final novel would be 3000 pages long. :P

Anyway, I mentioned above that I believe I found out something. I wanted to finish GoF before saying what it was, in case there's a different explanation, but it isn't mentioned again. So, even though I don't see how it fits together, I'm pretty sure that Voldemort killed Lily *before* James. Either that, or Rowling made a big mistake, which I doubt. During Priori Incantatem, James echo comes out of the wand first, followed by Lily. So they must have been killed the other way round. I don't believe it's a mistake, because Rowling was careful to even include all the Cruciatus curse echoes in her description.

So, I'm even more eager to read the next book. It's less than a year ago that I finished the books for the first time, and I was somewhat upset that I would have to wait nearly a year for the next one...and now, I'll still have to wait nearly a year, it seem. bawling

about the priori incantatem

so it stands that lily was killed before everyone else then james then bertha then the old guy then cedric?

i always thought that james was before lily. but after i read that i thought back and now we know that it was lily he was after. so i wonder if the big revelation about why he wanted lily dead will come in the next book.

Has there ever been a case of a film superior to its book???

The Godfather maybe .....

There have been many cases.

Jaws stands out at the top though. Jaws takes the essence of Benchley's tale and disposes with all the secondary story lines of affairs and small town political intrigue.

Planet of the Apes(1968) is a better film than PB's book by far.

Carrie is better film than King's novel.

Psycho is better than the book(or was it an original screenplay?).

Silence of the Lambs is equal to the book, but not better.

Was a book, saw it the other day. The guy who introduced it talked about it. I like him alot, because whenever he talks about a film, he says the the composer and score before the actor's :P He's a big fan of Rozsa and Steiner. Anyway, he's the most famious film critic in Australia. A household name.

so it stands that lily was killed before everyone else then james then bertha then the old guy then cedric?

Since there is no other explanation given for Lily's echo coming out of the wand after James, I'd say so. Yes, Harry does relive the murder in PoA, but only from his POV (as a baby). As far as I remember, there's a green flash of light from downstairs - so either the spell didn't work the first time, or it wasn't James who was downstairs. But then, who killed him after Voldemort failed to kill Harry? Wormtail perhaps, using Voldemort's wand? (There's another explanation I could think of, but it doesn't make sense: Lily and James could have "swapped bodies" using a polyjuice potion - but why should they)

i always thought that james was before lily.

Well, every other hint seem to say that's how it happened.

but after i read that i thought back and now we know that it was lily he was after.  so i wonder if the big revelation about why he wanted lily dead will come in the next book.

I still think it's Harry he was after. It's at least suggested countless of times, and it's a fact that Lily told Voldemort to take her instead of Harry, and Voldemort only killed her because she was in his way.

I just found a whole section about this at the Potter lexicon though.

But then the later versions of the book were corrected and she even emailed and told fans that no, Lily came first.

So there apparently were errors in the first GoF edition...I haven't found anything so far that says *where* she came first. Probably her echo came out of the wand first, so all I wrote above *is* wrong and simply due to an error on JKR's part. :P

I wonder though, how do we know which version of GoF we have? And what was changed?

Marian - who will now read the rest of that section.

i always thought that james was before lily.  but after i read that i thought back and now we know that it was lily he was after.  so i wonder if the big revelation about why he wanted lily dead will come in the next book.

Dumbledoor said more dead people would have come out if Harry had held the connection. He killed many more. It is very suspicious about this "mistake" If it is a mistake, it's pretty big and it is unlikely that it would go unchecked before the book was released. If it isn't a mistake then well, authors shouldn't have to cover up something like that with word that it's a "mistake" It is my opinion that it is a mistake though, because Rouling seems to be an honest writer. She did say it was a mistake right?

In my book Lily comes out first, then James. James was killed first, he tried to protect Lily, we even see it in the film. There is no mistake in my book.

Cedric is first, then Frank, then bertha, then lily, then James.

There is no reason that even hints that Voldemort was after Harry. None whatsoever. That he tried to kill Harry before Lily is an act of pure cruelty, and Lily would not let him, is a normal motherly reaction. I still maintain that he was after James and Lily because they were among his biggest opponents. Books 5,6, and 7 will tell us for sure one way or the other.

Reading the Potter Lexicon, I noticed it is filled with utter speculation, not different from our own. Unless JKR says James and Lily were killed in 1981, then why is the Nimbus 2000, called the 2000 and 2 years latter it called the nimbus 2002. Are they based on the year, or is it a coincedence? Do we take it that Harry has now graduated and is an adult, or dead or what?

In a series as vast as Harry Potter there are bound to be continuity errors. Sometimes the person closest to a situation is the most blind to those type of errors. That is why books are often re-edited after 2nd and 3rd editions.

I've never read a paperback version of Harry Potter, the hardbacks were fixed too.

In my book Lily comes out first, then James.  James was killed first, he tried to protect Lily, we even see it in the film.  There is no mistake in my book.

That's very interesting... Does it say anything about being a revised edition in your book? From what I've read at the lexicon, there were other corrections, too, but it doesn't say which.

Cedric is first, then Frank, then bertha, then lily, then James.

In the original edition, James comes before Lily and tells Harry that his mother is coming.

There is no reason that even hints that Voldemort was after Harry.  None whatsoever. That he tried to kill Harry before Lily is an act of pure cruelty, and Lily would not let him, is a normal motherly reaction. I still maintain that he was after James and Lily because they were among his biggest opponents.

But he does tell Lily to step aside so he can kill Harry. He only kills her when she keeps protecting the baby. And why else would everyone be so obsessed with Harry? It's obvious that he's not just famous, but important. And Dumbledore himself told Harry in the first book that he knows why Voldemort wanted to kill him, he just hasn't told him so far.

Books 5,6, and 7 will tell us for sure one way or the other.

Rowling has said that book 5 will answer many questions.

Reading the Potter Lexicon, I noticed it is filled with utter speculation, not different from our own.  Unless JKR says James and Lily were killed in 1981, then why is the Nimbus 2000, called the 2000 and 2 years latter it called the nimbus 2002.  Are they based on the year, or is it a coincedence?  Do we take it that Harry has now graduated and is an adult, or dead or what?

2000 and 2002 are just names, I'd say. Anyway, they seem to have forgotten something in the lexicon: They wonder how and when Hagrid met McGonnagal after the attack on the Potters and before the meeting in Privet drive, and why he told her so little. Pretty clear to me: Owl post.

In a series as vast as Harry Potter there are bound to be continuity errors.  Sometimes the person closest to a situation is the most blind to those type of errors.  That is why books are often re-edited after 2nd and 3rd editions.

Yes. But since I didn't know about a revision, and because most of the hints are so subtle and coherent, I'll still keep taking everything word by word. :|

In the original edition, James comes before Lily and tells Harry that his mother is coming.

that's what mine says too.

And why else would everyone be so obsessed with Harry? It's obvious that he's not just famous, but important.

i thought they were just obsessed because they knew there was something special about him because Voldie couldn't kill him.

And Dumbledore himself told Harry in the first book that he knows why Voldemort wanted to kill him, he just hasn't told him so far.  

i had forgotten about that. hmmmmm.

Another thing Rouling said was that in book 5 Harry would ask questions that she hoped the reader would think "Why didn't he ask that before?"

One could be 'why did the Dursleys kept Harry.'

Another could be 'why is Dumbledoor still alive?'

Any other suggestions?

Unless JKR says James and Lily were killed in 1981, then why is the Nimbus 2000, called the 2000 and 2 years latter it called the nimbus 2002. Are they based on the year, or is it a coincedence?

Actually, Joe, it's one year later that the Nimbus 2001 becomes the latest model. 2 years later the hot broom is the Firebolt. :| However, it's true in the fact the Rowling has never indicated specific dates, with those possible exceptions, if they do represent specific years as a car model might. The speculation on the date of the Potter's death merely comes from the fact that she started writing the first book in 1991. I think the fact that no specific year is ever mentioned is entirely intentional, because including dates would take away from the timeless feel of the story. This way, new readers will always feel the story takes place in their present, making the characters and situations more easily identifiable.

Sometimes the person closest to a situation is the most blind to those type of errors. That is why books are often re-edited after 2nd and 3rd editions.

Don't I know it! I didn't realize that so much until I was proofreading papers for friends in college. I'd always catch their mistakes, but miss a few on my own paper. And, I rarely seem to be able to submit a post without having to go back edit similar errors afterward.

Also, according to reports, OoP will be shorter than GoF. A good thing, I guess - otherwise, the final novel would be 3000 pages long.

Well, last year, Rowling did say that book 7 would be about as long as the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. Of course she was exaggerating, but did admit it would likely be the longest of the series, and that book 5 would be slightly shorter than GoF. I believe this was in the Vanity Fair article.

Has there ever been a case of a film superior to its book???

Very rarely. To Kill A Mocking Bird is one of the few, in my opinion, simply because of the performances of the actors. Misery is another one that is elevated slightly above the novel due to Kathy Bates' portrayal of Annie. As Joe mentioned there are some films that equal the books like Silence of the Lambs. I'd put Interview with the Vampire in that category as well.

Finally, Luke, as a fan of Star Wars, you should gives these books a try before condemning them as simple children's books. Many people I know have remarked that similarities Potter shares with the classic trilogy are a large part of the reason they enjoyed the books so much. The very nature of the fantasy writers job is to take old concepts, put an original spin on them, and make them his or her own. Rowling has done that and more, just as Lucas did by putting his characters "in a galaxy far far away." J.K. Rowling has done as much for furthering the tales of wizards, as Anne Rice has done for vampires, if not more so. Even Stephen King is a fan, stating Rowling has a "superior imagination. If most "adult" fiction sold today were half as good as the Rowling's work, such phenomenal success wouldn't likely be nearly such a big deal. The Potter books' popularity have very little, if anything, to do with fads.

but sorry just i do not like the story! if i liked i'll try it.

What the heck? This makes no sense. You will only read the books if you like the story, which you won't know unless you read the books. Ri-i-i-ight. :roll:

Ray Barnsbury

However, it's true in the fact the Rowling has never indicated specific dates, with those possible exceptions, if they do represent specific years as a car model might. The speculation on the date of the Potter's death merely comes from the fact that she started writing the first book in 1991. I think the fact that no specific year is ever mentioned is entirely intentional, because including dates would take away from the timeless feel of the story. This way, new readers will always feel the story takes place in their present, making the characters and situations more easily identifiable.  

Actually, the speculation with the dates comes from Nearly Headless Nick's 500th Deathday revealing that he died in 1492. This indicates that CoS takes place in 1992. But this is kind of irrelevant, given the timeless quality you mentioned. It doesn't matter when things happen, especially since the books take place a year apart, but are released sporadically.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, Nick's deathdate is the only specific date in the story. Several days of the week are mentioned that do NOT fit that date, but it seems that the days of the week don't fit each other either.

Another thing Rouling said was that in book 5 Harry would ask questions that she hoped the reader would think "Why didn't he ask that before?"

Yes. And I really tried to notice as many open questions as possible when re-reading the books, but I couldn't find a lot.

One could be 'why did the Dursleys kept Harry.'

Hmm...what else should they have done?

Another could be 'why is Dumbledoor still alive?'

He's supposed to be about 150. It doesn't say anywhere if wizards get older than Muggles, so I don't know if 150 is a big deal.

There are a few big open questions, aside from why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry in the first place. For example, what exactly is it that made Dumbledore trust Snape? Also, why would he trust Hagrid with his life? I also wonder why there's still a Slytherin house at Hogwarts, when nobody there seems to have a lot of moral, but I don't know if there's anything special to that.

Of course, there's the socks issue that I didn't even think of until I read about it in the lexicon...

Those are some questions that anyone might ask. I have more.

Why is the truth potion never used in the courts?

When Harry's watch broke why didn't he repare it with magic?

Here's something confusing. You are a mud-blood and you get a letter from Hogwarts. Why the heck should you belive it? I would dismiss it as a joke or something if I got the same letter Harry did.

Why is the truth potion never used in the courts?

I wondered, too. She probably simply didn't think about that. Or perhaps use of it normally has to be authorized - though then I still don't see why it wasn't used during the Death Eater trials. Ok, it may not yet have been invented back then, but that's a somewhat lame excuse.

When Harry's watch broke why didn't he repare it with magic?

I'd guess a watch is a lot more difficult to repair, even with magic, than a pair of glasses. Regarding watches though: Electronic devices don't work at Hogwarts, yet we didn't even find out until before GoF. Does that mean nobody who went to Hogwarts ever had a digital watch?

You are a mud-blood and you get a letter from Hogwarts.  Why the heck should you belive it?  I would dismiss it as a joke or something if I got the same letter Harry did.

Hmm... You would have to have shown some magic already, and since I doubt you'll find many Muggles as adamant in ignoring magic as the Dursley's, an informative letter by Dumbledore might be enough. Or who knows, perhaps Hagrid does several of those "rescue missions" each year. :)

What I've wondered about: When you're Muggle-born (I refuse to use fascist words like "mud-blood" :devil: ), what prevents your parents from telling everyone about magic? Muggles aren't supposed to know, after all...

i love this topic!.

It makes me want to go read them again and again.

What's the bigger issue with socks?

I remember Dumbledore talking about them but didn't know there was a huge significance,

Luke never came back. I guess he feels worse right now than after his encounter on Bespin.  :)

Or mabey he's reading the HP books.

What's the bigger issue with socks?

I remember Dumbledore talking about them but didn't know there was a huge significance,

I never thought about it myself before reading about it at the lexicon. But it's not only that Dumbledore says his deepest desire is a pair of socks (it's not clear whether he's joking or not), but they're everywhere. Reportedly, the first thing we read Harry do is put a spider off one of his socks. They're mentioned countless of times from there on. Plus of course, Dobby is a socks-maniac. I never read a lot into this (Dobby IS somewhat weird, after all), but perhaps there is more behind it...house-elves are supposed to be among the most powerful magical creatures.

Marian - who wonders what it is Krum told Hermione before leaving Hogwarts.

I'm Back! :) Sorry i couldn't came here yesterday.

Well, fisrt of all, thanks, now i'm a mass of red pulp in the floor. Guys you can be sadistic sometimes!

I opined becasue my older sister has read them, and told me things. And i didn't liked them, that's why it doesnt have appeal to me.

About the Nimbus 2000, it is not the name (like could be the name on one SW ship, race or place) it is just that it look like if the magical broom are made in mass, like machines. Thats is worst than midichlorians. Why they didn't gave Harry and ordinary flying broom? (anyways flying broom were for witches, not for mages...)

About furthering the mages world, well i still prefer medieval mages novels, that new come every year.

About Jedi Knights being Mages, well they could be kinda mages in a more long time ago, now they are evolved mages they dont use metal swords, they use LASER ones. In SW, primitive cultures (as the Dathomiri witches) use the force as old mages (spellcasting and gesticulating) and use spears, but they are primitive. I like the mixture of Medieval appeal and science fiction. But in HP it is not that way, it is about mages, hidden from the rest fo the world somewhere, in OUR time.

If you say HP is very similar to SW, you are telling me it is not original? :angry:

I havent read 4 HP novels, and therefore i cant opine, right, they you read 3 or 4 SW novels (out of 60) and you opine. If they were from the same author, well you could, but they are not so you still cant. Anyways, you like HP novels, and I dont'. You dont like SW novels, and i do. Some like both, some dont' like any. That's why we are person, we are DIFFERENT.

Ah I DID NOT VOTE, if you wanna know.

Well i hope you have feeling a little of the way how i feel when every day a new 'COME HERE! BEAT UP THAT FAT-NONNECKED* GEORGE LUCAS' thread arises. Dont get me wrong, i opine about HP to offend you, this last paragraph, i have think of it now. I never opined aobut HP before, and i'll never opine about it in the future. But could you be least offensive about Lucas, Star wars and so? :angry:

*A joke i particulary fell very cruel since the guy is diabethic. If he had cancer you wil say it also?

About the Nimbus 2000, it is not the name (like could be the name on one SW ship, race or place) it is just that it look like if the magical broom are made in mass, like machines. Thats is worst than midichlorians. Why they didn't gave Harry and ordinary flying broom? (anyways flying broom were for witches, not for mages...)
About Jedi Knights being Mages, well they could be kinda mages in a more long time ago, now they are evolved mages they dont use metal swords, they use LASER ones.

Lightsabers...which are made in mass, like machines. Why don't they use ordinary swords? Anyways, sabers were for knights, not spiritual Jedis...

If you say HP is very similar to SW, you are telling me it is not original? :jump:

Oh, it is original enough. But it has roots. Don't tell me SW is overly original? If I were to compare the two, Potter would probably come off as the more original of the two.

You dont like SW novels, and i do.

Oh, I do like those that I've read.

Marian - who thinks Luke still does not understand. :)

Lightsabers...which are made in mass, like machines. Why don't they use ordinary swords? Anyways, sabers were for knights, not spiritual Jedis...  

Let's see.... a jedi builds his/hers own lightsaber, they are not build in mass (with mass i mean in a factory). They do not use ordinary swords because they have evolved with the civilization! that was my point!

Metal swords are not good for deflecting lasers, don't you think?

And about sword for knights, darn they were knights in the old days with armor and swords. And well maybe they are not mages, just paladins so they have some kind of power. Have you played baldur's gate? paladins have the ability of heal, distress evil and spiritual things like that. In fact, our Cursaders were monks.

Oh, I do like those that I've read.

Wow, you are the only one here (besides me)

And yes i got you point. I have to read HP. I'll do it, if i feel like someday.

The difference between Light Sabers and Broomsticks is that Light Sabers are harder to make than broomsticks.

Besides, you havn't read the series yet, how should you know how Broomsticks are made?

The Firebolt is made with care, each twig carefully handpicked for ultimate quality.

Light sabers are made the same delicate way.

Luke still does not understand because he says that he doesn't like the Harry Potter novels... He can't say that unless he has sat down and read at least one, the whole way through.

He can however say that he doesn't think he will like them because of the subject matter... I'd give him that, but he hasn't said that.

As to the Star Wars novels, I have read 16 and out of those, I trully loved the Timothy Zahn trilogy, the rest I can do without, but I did take the time to sit and read them and got some enjoyment out of them, if only to see what happens to the characters.

Now, who said that Interview with the Vampire was a good a film as the book????????? Can't dissagree with you more. Tom Cruise as Lestat? He was horrible!!!!! And they left out so many incredible things plus you never felt their energy or their sensualness in the film, you felt it ten fold in the book.

I can't wait for book 5, I read GoF when it first came out as a hardback and now I am jonesing for the next one!!!! The 4th one ended and it opened up a whole trilogy to come that could be as huge as LOTR or any other epic... It was like the first four were incredible books in their own right, but they were a prelude to a huge event that is now about to occur.... I can't wait!