• Yes, for Catch me if you can
    • Yes, for Attack of the Clones
    • Yes, for Attack of the Clones, Catch me if you can and Minority Report
    • No, he won´t be nominated

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea, but I doubt Minority Report. The academy usually doesn't like scores of it's type.

I have no idea, but I doubt Minority Report. The academy usually doesn't like scores of it's type.

I reckon the opposite, but maybe he'll get two this time. It's been 6 years since this last happened = 1996 ceremony: Nixon & Sabrina (and a third nomination for best song!). However, with the deletion of the two score categories he will probably just get one!

Can't wait to hear 'Catch Me If You Can'. Hoping for some great scherzo's and fugues ;)

He will definately be nominated. He always is. Just a question of FOR WHAT?

I'm going with Minority Report. However, Catch Me IF You Can is a possibility.

Well, they never seem to nominate modernistic suspence scores, that makes MR unlikely.... AOTC is too uncool for them to vote :roll:

I have no idea what it will be.

He will most definitely be nominated. There's hardly a year when he isn't. But it's hard to say for which score - we haven't even heard Catch Me If You Can yet! That's not to say the Academy knows anything about music, but at least they still respond (in whatever way) to the overall style of a score - which we won't know before we hear it.

from my knowledge of the Academy, i think that Minority Report will definitely by nominated, and even though I haven't heard Catch Me If you can yet, i still think it will get nominated. i'm not sure on whether or not i think he'll win, but i think he'll have a better shot this year. Lord of the Rings likely won't win, because sequel scores have never won, maybe once or twice but for the most part never.

if he wins i think it will probably be for Minority Report.

I think this poll should have waited until Catch Me If You Can is released.

I'd like to say that JW will get another double, but it's hard to say. This time last year, I was saying that Harry Potter wouldn't stand a chance of being nominated for score, based on the fact that it's a kid's movie. Then I saw the trailer, and then the movie. Changed my mind right away.

Maybe we'll have to resurrect this poll in January.

The question is not "Will he be nominated?" it is "Will he win?" and in that regard I have my doubts. I think they feel they've given John enough Oscars or something! :P

I think (and hope) he will be nominated for CMIYC and MR.

To me at least, MR's score is similar to AI's.

And I still think Harry Potter should have won.

he's had his share of double nominations. and if my memory serves me correct, he's lost them all, with the exception of 1977 when Star Wars and Close Encounters were nominated.

2001: Harry Potter, A.I.

1995: Sabrina, Nixon

1989: Born on the Fourth of July, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1987: Empire of the Sun, Witches of Eastwick

1984: The River, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1977: Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind - OSCAR

1972: Images, The Poseidon Adventure

1969: The Reivers, Goodbye Mr. Chips

he's 1 for 8 with double nominations.

I was disappointed with both AOTC and Minority Report. I'm hoping for better with Catch Me If You Can and voted for it. :mrgreen:

Mari

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the only sequel ever to take home an Oscar for best original score was The Godfather, Part II -- and even that was tainted with scandal because Nino Rota lifted one of the themes from his score for Rocco and His Brothers.

Attack of the Clones doesn't stand a chance. As sequels go, it is nowhere on par with The Empire Strikes Back or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom -- and, as you all know, they lost.

I suppose we can always hold out hope for Catch Me If You Can, but even if Williams is nominated, I doubt very much he is going to win anything this year, regardless of the competition. Unless, of course, they decide to give him a lifetime achievement.

Just a hunch. :mrgreen:

you're right, The Godfather Part II is the only sequel score to ever win the Oscar. and agree with you about Attack of the Clones not standing a chance, for that reason and many others. though i wouldn't be too shocked if it pulled in a nomination. i don't think it will, but it is very possible.

And what about Harry Potter 2?

The Two Towers will surely be nominated, so why not the new HP?

:mrgreen: (Rosenman's masterpiece The Lord of the Rings, much better than Shore's version)

I won't pass judgment on CMIYC quite yet. I hope all his scores get nominated but of the two we know, I hope Attack of the Clones gets the nomination. Due to all the editing, it might not stand much of a chance of being nominated though. Maybe the academy will look favorable on Minority Report because it's a Spielberg movie.

What else do you think deserves to be nominated this year? My vote goes to AOTC, Spider Man, Sum of all Fears, Minority Report, and Signs. Sum and Spider Man probably won't make it though, just like Final Fantasy wasn't nominated last year. They just don't seem like scores the academy would dig.

What else do you think deserves to be nominated this year?  My vote goes to AOTC, Spider Man, Sum of all Fears, Minority Report, and Signs.  Sum and Spider Man probably won't make it though, just like Final Fantasy wasn't nominated last year.  They just don't seem like scores the academy would dig.

But how can Spiderman be nominated if Batman wasn't in 1989? Spiderman demonstrates that Elfman is not in good form. His best moments are very far (Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare before.......), and now he is in a repetitive phase.

Well, supposedly the Academy didn't like black people, but we all saw that that changed. I voted for Minority Report. Why? I'm not sure. I just like it and maybe I just want it to win.

~Conor

I think 'Minority Report' should get a nod, and 'Attack of the Clones' may get a nod on the strength of 'Across the Stars'.

Catch Me if you Can does not seem like the type of movie that would carry with it a spectacular score.

But how can Spiderman be nominated if Batman wasn't in 1989? Spiderman demonstrates that Elfman is not in good form. His best moments are very far (Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare before.......), and now he is in a repetitive phase.

The acadamy (and a lot of other people!) just don't like Elfman. I thought Spider Man deserved the nom because I thought it worked very well in the movie. It fit it like a glove and actually enhanced the picture whenever it was playing. That's becoming a rare thing nowadays. Too much of the music is neutral. That's the reason why I picked my other choices. I actually sat up and took notice during scenes with music in those movies. Signs in particular was a pleasant surprise because I'm not familiar with JNH.

What's wrong with it? Main problem is that I just don't find it great. There are some other problems, like it being quite simple.

Minority Report, critically, has been one of the best received films of the year, along side Insomnia. If Newton Howard can get a nomination for (the also acclaimed) The Fugitive, so can Academy darling Williams for Minority Report.

I think 'Minority Report' should get a nod, and 'Attack of the Clones' may get a nod on the strength of 'Across the Stars'.

The Phantom Menace did not get a nomination on the strength of 'Duel of the Fates.' Don't count on 'Across the Stars' helping here.

And what about Harry Potter 2?

The Two Towers will surely be nominated, so why not the new HP?

Some silly restrictions on the multi-composer scores.

THAT didn't stop zimmer from being nominated for Gladiator.

Can AOTC even technically be considered, or does the Academy have a stick up its ass about reusing portions of TPM. (I know I do.)

Only the principal composer(s) or song writer(s) responsible for the conception and execution of the work as a whole shall be eligible for an award. This expressly excludes from eligibility all of the following:

(a) supervisors

(b) partial contributors (e.g., any writer not responsible for the over-all design of the work)

© contributors working on speculation

(d) scores diluted by the use of tracked or pre-existing music

(e) scores diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs

(f) scores assembled from the music of more than one composer.

(g) scores hacked up by George Lucas

and once again you lost the most cynical poll.

Joe, wondering how something so obvious was missed.

What's wrong with it? Main problem is that I just don't find it great. There are some other problems, like it being quite simple.

banghead

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????????

Edward Scissorhands simple??????? :|

It has many great themes, the use of children chorus is superb, The Introduction music is simply perfect, and the Grand Finale.....

Death! track is so emotive and Edwardo the Barber and The Cookie Factory are such vigorous compositions!

It's Elfman's best score UNDOUBTEDLY.

Simple? Not great? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. &%*censored%$&

(Edward Scissorhands) is Elfman's best score UNDOUBTEDLY.

That would be Batman

You are writing too much in absolute terms, Ricard. Calm down.

Batman is a good score, yes, also Nightmare..., Beetlejuice, etc.

But it's not as complex as Edward Scissorhands. I even prefer Batman Returns rather than the first Batman. There is something lacking in that score that doesn't let it get the perfection. A perfection that Scissorhands has in every sense. (Now I am the one who writes in absolute terms).