That "sound" from Parade of the Ewoks

pi

Whats that sighing sound from Parade of the Ewoks? I think I heard it on Mrs. Robinson (simon and garfunkle) also. Can someone link a picture of it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wondered about this too. Sort of like the four creepy oohing sounds when Darth Maul encounters our Jedi heroes, though I know they're synthesised and modulated.

I would like to know what that rumbling is in The Lost World theme. There is a different sound to the timpani that does a low rumbling roll sound every few seconds. It's awesome and so appropriate. But hard to aurally "detect."

I would like to know what that rumbling is in The Lost World theme. There is a different sound to the timpani that does a low rumbling roll sound every few seconds. It's awesome and so appropriate. But hard to aurally "detect."

An orchestral bass drum is good for rumbling.

The instrument in question must be some sort of ethnic asian woodwind instrument. Some of these instruments can create an enormous range of weird sounds that seem to be synthesized but are actually accoustic. There are a number of instruments that could be possible here so I can't narrow it down but i am pretty sure that it is not synthesized.

i believe its a conga:p. i believe the way to achieve it is to slide the stick as u hit it so it goes closer to the center.

though it could be some other type of percussion instrument. timpani could do something like this but much lower. roto toms maybe? another possibility, large conch.

Greetings everyone!

The percussion instrument that produces the moaning glissando-like sound in "Parade of the Ewoks" (by the way, isn't this a miraculously charming piece?) is indeed a South American instrument, unfortunately I forget its name as I'm typing this (forgive me), but similar sounds can be produced by bongos and congas, and other "non-pitched" percussion instruments where you can adjust pitch while you play...A wooden instrument will resemble the "Parade of the Ewoks" sound more closely than ,say, timpani, as we're after a fairly "dry" sounding instrument that won't really resonate beyond the glissando or moan. Bass- recorders can also produce sounds that could resemble a low moan, but I think a clean and even gliss on a bass-recorder is relatively hard to perform, although I'm sure with the right performer, you can negotiate anything, even on a bass-recorder.

Best,

Marcus

• 8 years later...

Greetings everyone!

The percussion instrument that produces the moaning glissando-like sound in "Parade of the Ewoks" (by the way, isn't this a miraculously charming piece?) is indeed a South American instrument, unfortunately I forget its name as I'm typing this (forgive me), but similar sounds can be produced by bongos and congas, and other "non-pitched" percussion instruments where you can adjust pitch while you play...A wooden instrument will resemble the "Parade of the Ewoks" sound more closely than ,say, timpani, as we're after a fairly "dry" sounding instrument that won't really resonate beyond the glissando or moan. Bass- recorders can also produce sounds that could resemble a low moan, but I think a clean and even gliss on a bass-recorder is relatively hard to perform, although I'm sure with the right performer, you can negotiate anything, even on a bass-recorder.

Best,

Marcus

Is it a cuica?

Are you referring to the conga 'moose call?'

It is! Another lovely instrument, and too rarely heard together with its slightly more sophisticated relatives in the woodwind choir. Rodion Schedrin actually employs both the soprano recorder and several of its siblings in some of his works (Cello Concerto, Concerto for Orchestra no.4 and others) to great effect, and in really neat timbral combinations.

I believe those are actually flute glissandi! I have the score, but as I'm currently on a work stay abroad, I won't be able to verify until I'm home sometime late August... Will keep you posted!

Whats that sighing sound from Parade of the Ewoks? I think I heard it on Mrs. Robinson (simon and garfunkle) also. Can someone link a picture of it?

i believe its a conga:p. i believe the way to achieve it is to slide the stick as u hit it so it goes closer to the center.

though it could be some other type of percussion instrument. timpani could do something like this but much lower. roto toms maybe? another possibility, large conch.

Greetings everyone!

Best,

Marcus

Is it a cuica?

It's a conga played with "Finger glissando". Source: Signature Edition score of Parade of the Ewoks (from the recent "Music from the Star Wars Saga").

Jerry Goldsmith made wonderful use of it in both PLANET OF THE APES and THE MEPHISTO WALTZ.

And of course.

The instrument you refering to in "Soul Bossa Nova" is actually a friction drum and not a conga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVOm268uQkw

I know. Read the posts again.

In the actual piece, it's a conga, I think, but yes! I was referring to a cuica! What a bizarre drum!

Jerry Goldsmith made wonderful use of it in both PLANET OF THE APES and THE MEPHISTO WALTZ.

And of course.

Greetings everyone!
Best,
Marcus

Is it a cuica?

It's a conga played with "Finger glissando". Source: Signature Edition score of Parade of the Ewoks (from the recent "Music from the Star Wars Saga").

That's exactly what a moose call is. Thanks.

I know. Read the posts again.

In the actual piece, it's a conga, I think, but yes! I was referring to a cuica! What a bizarre drum!

And of course.

Greetings everyone!

Best,

Marcus

Is it a cuica?

That's exactly what a moose call is. Thanks.

Sorry. My appologies; I didn't know a cuica was the same as a friction drum.

It sounds like a cuica was also used for The Parade from the Phantom Menace (at 0:28)...