Which version of the End music from FOTR do you prefer?

Faleel

Which version do you prefer of the FOTR Ending?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of The Breaking of the Fellowship do you prefer?

• Original Version (NZSO Version)
    • Intermediate Version (OST Version)
    • Final Film Version (CR Version)
  2. 2. Which version of the End Credits do you prefer?

• OST Version (In Dreams, Unused Segue, May It Be, Unused Fellowship Theme Statement)
    • CR Version (May It Be, In Dreams, Lifted Music From The Score)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OST version is NOT any kind of intermediate version!

The OST version is simply the first 5:19 of the full cue, before seguing improperly to In Dreams instead of letting the piece finish and lead into May It Be as intended.

Then what is the music that plays inbetween May it be and In Dreams? and where is the Fellowship Theme statement from?

Also one of the Shire theme statements in the first 5:19 sounds different, perhaps taken from the NZSO performance?

Then what is the music that plays inbetween May it be and In Dreams? and where is the Fellowship Theme statement from?

Also one of the Shire theme statements in the first 5:19 sounds different, perhaps taken from the NZSO performance?

The music in between the songs on the OST is unique and I assume intended by Shore to be in the End Credits somewhere. But they were replaced in the film with tracked music and that tracked music carried over to the CR end credits.

What is the time stamp of the supposed alternate Shire Theme performance during the first 5:19 of the cue?

Bloodboal: It sounds different though.... perhaps an alternate take?

I think it was 2:15 or 4:38... though it might have been that I had not heard the CR version for an hour..

The Fellowship theme statement sounds like the one heard during the Council Of Elrond.

That's cause it is!

Bloodboal: It sounds different though.... perhaps an alternate take?

I think it was 2:15 or 4:38... though it might have been that I had not heard the CR version for an hour..

The first 5:19 of both versions should be completely identical.

The Fellowship theme statement is different guys, the strings are more pronounced for one, and its a bit more slower.

Now the CR version, that one sounds Identical to the version in Council of Elrond

hmmm, it may be the difference in mixing, that are making me think that the Shire theme performances are different..

Faleel is right. The Shire theme statement is different. I remember trying to do an edit using the two versions of the Breaking (OST and CR) around that part, and I didn't work because the two sounded different.

I layered all three fellowship statements in audacity, it sounded very bad, I think we can rule out that its the same performance.

The one on the OST is a different pitch/key as well.

I never tried to say that the OST performance of the Fellowship theme was available anywhere else. It's unique.

The CR/film version should be the same as the Council of Elrond version - if not the same performance, then a different performance of the same music.

The CR/film version should be the same as the Council of Elrond version - if not the same performance, then a different performance of the same music.

Oh! I thought you meant the OST version was the same as the CoE version, Sorry man!

Bloodboal's post helped start the confusion (but its not his fault)

No, the little bits in between the songs on the OST are unique and I assume intended by Shore to be in the End Credits somewhere. But they were replaced in the film with tracked music* and that tracked music carried over to the CR end credits.

*Or new recordings of existing music if the performances are indeed different ones

The two Shire theme statements are different in that the bar that precedes it is in 4/4 on the OST and in 5/4 in the film/CR, and in that one of them is D major, while the other is E major.

The OST also omits some of the extended All Shall Come To Darkness theme that is in the film.

I always suspected that the OST is the sequence Howard Shore intended, with In Dreams preceding May It Be, but it was changed editorially and that's why the little woodwind bridge was scrapped.

The OST also omits some of the extended All Shall Come To Darkness theme that is in the film.

Do you mean A Noble End theme? Could you give the exact time and track for this appearance. I must have missed it all these years. :o

I always suspected that the OST is the sequence Howard Shore intended, with In Dreams preceding May It Be, but it was changed editorially and that's why the little woodwind bridge was scrapped.

No way! I can't believe that for a second. The humming choir was clearly always intended to be the start of the end credits, bridging to the enya song intended to sell soundtrack CDs early into the credits. After that's over Shore gets to do what he wants and we got In Dreams

The CR shows us his intended sequences, they just didn't restore his intended bridging bits that were replaced in the film by tracked music for some reason

<p>

Do you mean A Noble End theme? Could you give the exact time and track for this appearance. I must have missed it all these years. ohmy.png

No way! I can't believe that for a second. The humming choir was clearly always intended to be the start of the end credits, bridging to the enya song intended to sell soundtrack CDs early into the credits. After that's over Shore gets to do what he wants and we got In Dreams

That's very presumptuous of you to say that Shore just wanted to get "May It Be" over with so he could go back to his own music. How do you know that Shore wasn't entirely enthused about working with Enya?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I just meant that I'm sure everyone agreed the May It Be song should be played early into the credits, not more towards the end like on the OST. The OST arrangement is perfect for the CD because it gets to be the last track and just have a short ending after the song proper ends rather than a whole other track with more music like the CR.

Do you mean A Noble End theme? Could you give the exact time and track for this appearance. I must have missed it all these years. ohmy.png

No need for time stamps, it plays right after the Shire theme when we see Boromir fall down Rauros and Aragorn putting on his gloves.If the CR version is Shore's intended version, why is the piece in the symphony different? Also, the boy chorus and orchestra sounds tracked from In Dreams, with Edward Ross removed. One might say the CRs must be Shore's intended version, but FOTR is peculiar in this way, since in TTT and ROTK, no film edit made it to the CR, whereas in FOTR, nearly every film edit was included.

I don't have an opinion on the topic of this thread, but the discussion did prompt me to FINALLY order the CR just now. So I suppose I'll be able to form an opinion before too long.

I thought you didn't like LOTR music! What the fuck? If you want to waste your money, just send me some, you idiot!

:lol: I like FOTR a lot better than the other two. And it's not like I hate the music or anything; I just think it's generally overrated (especially the non-thematic moments), despite the very impressive and respectable amount of work Howard Shore put into it.

Hopefully the CRs will help change your view on the scores ;) I can't understand how people could form solid opinions on the basis of the OSTs alone. But then again, I almost never listen to the OSTs anymore thanks to the CRs.

Cardello won't change his opinion on the scores, you can trust me on that. He's as narrow-minded as his piano. And that means a lot!

My piano has a very broad mind, thank you very much! So broad that it sometimes starts spilling out under the sides of the keys!

On a more serious note, I don't think the FOTR CR will change my opinion of that score too much, but that's not a bad thing. As I said, I like this score (and film) a lot better than the others. There are even moments of Williams-level greatness in it. Even if a few other moments do...rub me the wrong way. ;)

Do you mean A Noble End theme? Could you give the exact time and track for this appearance. I must have missed it all these years.

No need for time stamps, it plays right after the Shire theme when we see Boromir fall down Rauros and Aragorn putting on his gloves.If the CR version is Shore's intended version, why is the piece in the symphony different? Also, the boy chorus and orchestra sounds tracked from In Dreams, with Edward Ross removed. One might say the CRs must be Shore's intended version, but FOTR is peculiar in this way, since in TTT and ROTK, no film edit made it to the CR, whereas in FOTR, nearly every film edit was included.

Isn't the Symphony a pretty unreliable guide to Shore's original intentions since it is often very editorially spliced together, recreating many of the OST edits along the way.

this is a poll to annoy me right?

Yes because everything here revolves around you and our thoughts are with you always. I think Faleel was giggling to himself when he created this thread, thinking "This'll piss KM off to no end".

Yeah!

Let's do a "Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars" poll, that should finish him!

Contrary to what he might say, it is unfathomable for KM that people on a JW board are fans of music other than John Williams'.

Do you mean A Noble End theme? Could you give the exact time and track for this appearance. I must have missed it all these years.

Isn't the Symphony a pretty unreliable guide to Shore's original intentions since it is often very editorially spliced together, recreating many of the OST edits along the way.

Isn't the symphony written by Shore?

It's not so much a symphony as it is a bunch of highlights from the trilogy stitched together not unlike to the editing of the OSTs. I wish Shore had taken the time to actually take the thematic material and write it as a standard symphony in the classical sense. I would have loved to hear all the motifs in a newer presentation rather than straight from the film's scores, note for note. But I'm sure it must be a great experience to hear the symphony live.

I've only heard the music in the films and that was awhile ago. I didn't find it worth purchasing.