The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

32 minutes ago, ckappes said:

Same as Return to Monkey Island. I hope my PC copy of Return to Monkey Island Collector's Edition is a audio CD. It is not clearly stated but I thought PC Game + Original Soundtrack means either the game plus audio in only one CD or 2CD's (1CD game and the other CD is the soundtrack). Or LRG doesn't want to list two jewel cases at the same time and then they stated "Includes... Original Soundtrack".

In the picture you clearly see the jewel case says "Original Soundtrack", but the description stated "Orignial soundtrack + PC game". Or maybe an error because they designed that picture for the console games first and forget to change the cover of the jewel case.

Exactly. In this case it didn't stop me, because it's ReMI (GF is GF, but in that case there was the additional feeling of "it's only a replica, not the original" - this time it's the original boxed release), and there wasn't (at the time) any version of the soundtrack at all anyway, so a file-only version would still have been much better than nothing. But yes, I do hope we're getting an actual CD.

• 5 months later...
On 20/01/2023 at 10:04 AM, Jay said:

Just ordered the physical PC edition from Limited Run Games

And it just arrived today

14 hours ago, Jay said:
On 20/01/2023 at 4:04 PM, Jay said:

Just ordered the physical PC edition from Limited Run Games

And it just arrived today

The regular edition or the Collector's Edition? I'm still waiting for any news for the latter.

Oh, so they're finally coming! I've never received any info from them about the production schedule (except for the initial prognosis, which clearly didn't work out).

44 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The regular edition or the Collector's Edition? I'm still waiting for any news for the latter.

Collector's

I haven't even opened the box the thing came in yet!

I got home from work late and saw it had arrived, spent time with my wife and went to bed, and now I'm back at the office.

I'll open it up tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

That's the second biggest Monkey Island Collector's Edition I've ever seen!

PS: The soundtrack is a proper CD! Included in the 2 CD jewel case that also holds the Windows version of the game (Mac and Linux version come on separate discs in paper sleeves). The jewel case design serves nicely as a soundtrack case, so I'll put that in the CD shelf and the box with my other games.

Cool!  I didn't want to open mine until I had opportunity to play it.  Which will hopefully be soon!

Collector's boxes are nice. It's not my favourite point & click series (I like it, but not as much as the Lucas/Doublefine games), but I couldn't skip this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolution-software/broken-sword-reforged-collectors-edition?ref=section-homepage-featured-project#

I'm so conflicted about Broken Sword Reforged.

They keep boasting about the graphical update but, from what I can tell, Charles Cecil confirmed that they did not go back to original tapes for SPEECH (I presume they are lost? Because if they were just lazy... EHHHHH) and just edited&enhanced old in-game audio files. You could really hear that in trailers but I was hoping it maybe was not final... Alas. It sucks for a game like BS.

And the FMVs? Wiggly smudgey upscales next to crisp 4k in-game backgrounds. EH.

I don't think I realized how lucky I/we got with Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle Double Fine remasters. And yes, I know a lot of people don't like those or their updated soundtracks.

12 hours ago, filip said:

They keep boasting about the graphical update but, from what I can tell, Charles Cecil confirmed that they did not go back to original tapes for SPEECH (I presume they are lost? Because if they were just lazy... EHHHHH) and just edited&enhanced old in-game audio files. You could really hear that in trailers but I was hoping it maybe was not final... Alas. It sucks for a game like BS.

I suppose the original raw assets might well be lost, or maybe they never were stored in high quality to begin with. I haven't followed reports about the remaster though. Perhaps he'll talk a bit about at at Reboot Develop next month.

Huh? You mean the cinematic sequences? They look good to me in the trailer - not like mere upscales?

I don't think I realized how lucky I/we got with Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle Double Fine remasters. And yes, I know a lot of people don't like those or their updated soundtracks.

Don't forget Grim Fandango! And yes, those surely were special. On the other hand, Revolution are also making a *new* BS game simultaneously (I think?). That's the one I'm mostly looking forward to anyway.

13 hours ago, filip said:

While there were some shots in the video, where the animation cells where upscaled, they did get some crisp paint overs where detail was crucial (the eyes, for example). But then again there were other clips, like the opening panorama shot of Paris, where the background was a fully reworked high-res version of the painting, with stunning detail. So I guess wherever possible they rebuilt the cutscenes from scratch, while animation cells were too much work to re-paint completely. It doesn't look like simply upscaling the original compressed cutscenes was ever the plan (unless some material is missing completely).

That being said, the Kickstarter is still active, with the collected money ALSO utilized to further improve the remaster (and not just pay for the merch).

Outside of the shot of Paris everything in the intro looks upscaled to me in the footage they showed so far. They did draw some character details over the upscale for sure but it's still all wiggly and smudgey and the backgrounds are absolutely mere upscales.

The ending cutscene parts that they show in the KS video has new backgrounds ('cause they're mostly stills), unfortunate results on explosions in the background, but man you cannot tell me the character art, even if they updated some parts (Nico is obviously a different design), doesn't look trash - the way George's hair fluctuates and disgustingly morphs presumably interpolating frames that weren't there... Yuck.

Of course, as you say, they may yet address some of this - Cecil stated in one FAQ video that they are doing stuff manually over AI upscales.

Again, I am conflicted. I want to believe they are doing the best they can, working with the best sources they can... but I still don't know if I'm on board.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Don't forget Grim Fandango!

You're right. How dared I.