Do you still think Williams involvement improved LLL's Hook release?

Luke Skywalker

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still think Williams involvement improved LLL's Hook release?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

So since people is already listening to the set, i would like to ask what is the general consensus about williams tinkering.

When it was announced and people feared the worst others told not to panic. Now you have heard the results. what do you think?

IMO, i think williams should not have been involved enough as to change chronological order, retain ost edits and ban cues.

PD: i dont think the faults can be applied to LLL, the set errors are from sony to losing the masters and WIlliams 'humility...'

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, of course it didn't. If he hadn't wanted to retain his album edits, restructure the flow of the (more or less almost) complete score and likely prevent pivotal inserts from being included, we'd have ended up with a more complete and satisfying release. Something like 1941. I don't really get why Williams wanted to place all these additional tracks around his (mostly) original album presentation. That album may have worked back in the day (AKA a week ago), but I feel like factors certainly change when you're dealing with 2 discs and nearly 2 1/2 hours of music. It probably works better in chronological order, and complete. I'd have rather it been the complete recordings as opposed to an expanded album.

So since people is already listening to the set, i would like to ask what is the general consensus about williams tinkering.

When it was announced and people feared the worst others told not to panic. Now you have heard the results. what do you think?

IMO, i think williams should not have been involved enough as to change chronological order, retain ost edits and ban cues.

PD: i dont think the faults can be applied to LLL, the set errors are from sony to losing the masters and WIlliams 'humility...'

Okay, this is a moronic poll/statement!

We don't know for certain to what extent JW was involved! He approved it, yes. But that's basically all we know.

You seem to blame JW for everything that you personally dislike about this release. Well stop bitching already, and enjoy the music that we did get! :rolleyes:

Well, those who are unhappy with this release should just send their copies back and hope for a refund!

Who knows? Maybe in 20 years we'll get the ULTIMATE EDITION! :P

JWFAN's glass is always half empty, never half full! Geez!!

JWFAN'S glass is always three-quarters empty, more like it! At least with some members.

We don't know for certain to what extent JW was involved! He approved it, yes. But that's basically all we know.

there was an interview bit that said Williams revised the whole album and arranged the cues like he wanted

Frankly, we can work with what's on the LLL CDs except for The Never-Feast and The Ultimate War, which is pretty much of a travesty. So all in all, it's still a solid set of CDs. We do get much of the score, remember. Still, where it fails, it does unfortunately fail quite miserably. One of JW's greatest and most-requested parts of the score missing and a seriously dubious presentation of the end battle.

there was an interview bit that said Williams revised the whole album and arranged the cues like he wanted

Yes. But there was no mention of micro-edits, loops, volume issue, sound quality, etc.

One of JW's greatest and most-requested parts of the score missing

Sorry (and I am asking because I really don't know), but which part is that?

The insert in Never-Feast?

Okay, thanks!

And what happens in the movie when the "Never-Feast insert" plays? Just so I know which part I should pay special attention to...

Okay, thanks!

And what happens in the movie when the "Never-Feast insert" plays? Just so I know which part I should pay special attention to...

It plays when the food magically appears during the feast.

Okay, thanks!

It plays when the food magically appears during the feast.

Ah okay! Thanks.

I kinda suspected that... yeah, that bit is fantastic, although hardly the very best part of the entire score! :)

At least we got that extended version of Flight to Neverland. It's so much better than the OST version

Yes.

That's kinda like getting the extended version of "Indy's Very First Adventure" on the Concorde Release!

Also a flawed release, sure, but miles better than the OS album.

Yes. But there was no mention of micro-edits, loops, volume issue, sound quality, etc.

in my post i blame sony for that (losing the masters)

I'm talking about out of order cues, OST tracks mixes-edits and banned cues.

That's 100% williams involvement, or so we were told.

And dont call me a moron again, mr pollman.

I didn't call you a moron, but this poll is moronic!

We know that this release has some shortcomings. We are discussing this in 2 other threads...

But suit yourself.

Well, those who are unhappy with this release should just send their copies back and hope for a refund!

Who knows? Maybe in 20 years we'll get the ULTIMATE EDITION! :P

We got a HOOK UE sort off already... that is the point :P

Based on what I've heard, I would prefer if it if Williams was not involved in this release. But as the composer I can't criticize him for any of these decisions. He is uncomfortable putting out the complete score, and he has every right to be.

Based on what I've heard, the worst part of this release is the use of film stems in Ultimate War, which wasn't Williams' decision.

What is so cool in Rufio?

It's the skunk hair with too much mousse, the guyliner, the useless painted bamboo sticks on his armor just because it looks cool, that he has this badass private trackway in the Lost Boys' village and the fact that he's the leader. All the kids point to him and he has the sword.

What is so cool in Rufio?

It's the skunk hair with too much mousse, the guyliner, the useless painted bamboo sticks on his armor just because it looks cool, that he has this badass private trackway in the Lost Boys' village and the fact that he's the leader. All the kids point to him and he has the sword.

I knew I liked you

I think he was already satisfied with the old Epic release, but when asked to 'supervise' this new release (whatever that means, it doesn't seem to be a fullblown production credit), I guess he did his best under the circumstances. We won't know unless we ask him. I haven't bought this new HOOK, but I HAVE sampled the whole thing, and all I can say it's much better as a listening experience than those old boots that floated around for years. That's something, I guess. I still think the optimal HOOK experience would have been a presentation of approximately 50-60 minutes, weeding out some of those repetitive action 'mickey-mousings' towards the end of the Epic album.

Thor, you display your personal bias. Those mickey mouse cues may not be to your personal taste, but they are a very important part of the scores DNA. to ommit them would be an act of dishonestly.

Nah. Some of them are fine, but not too many. For me, the "DNA" in this score lies in the thematic wealth (esp. the glorious 'religious sound' of "Face of Pan") rather than the binding tissue between them.

Again, personal preference clouds your judgement. Many of the so called Mickey Mouse moments contains thematic material. Williams has always been brilliant in the way he shapes his themes into action material.

It's just that YOU don'r like tracks like The Ultimate was as much as you do The Face of Pan.

Again, personal preference clouds your judgement. Many of the so called Mickey Mouse moments contains thematic material. Williams has always been brilliant in the way he shapes his themes into action material.

It's just that YOU don'r like tracks like The Ultimate was as much as you do The Face of Pan.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference. No one ever claimed otherwise.

Album producers cannot cater to everyone's personal preferences.

No, thank God. They can only cater to their own. A painter or filmmaker can't cater to everyone's personal preferences either. They have to follow their highly subjective, artistic instincts. And then, whether we as consumers like their vision or not, is....well, up to us.

While watching this movie the other day, I found myself wondering why Amber Scott was cast! She is cute as button, sure, but she is acting throughout the whole movie as if it was a school play!

Surely, Spielberg could have found a better actress (and better singer too)!