• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Stefancos

True Detective

561 posts in this topic

Lee. I've read that in some was True Detective is similar to your beloved Twin Peaks.

It's like Twin Peaks as developed by auteur David Fincher.

Far from it, my friend.

Karol

I'm really glad you guys love it. But my search for brilliant television show continues.

Karol

I'm sorta worried. With Breaking Bad being over and out and Mad Men coming to an end, what is there left for me? AMC says Turn is da latest sh!t but the trailer doesn't look too promising, IMO. Dear crocs, when it comes to TV shows, we have been known to agree in the past. Would you recommend True Detectives to me? I've given up on Treme (HBO) and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with Boardwalk Empire (HBO). The best thing I've seen recently is Deadwood (HBO).

PS: Will continue with The Walking Dead (AMC), even though it's a 7/10 show

Alex

It's only 8 eps, whats to lose?

But you arent a fan of cop shows, right?

I'm really glad you guys love it. But my search for brilliant television show continues.

Karol

I'm sorta worried. With Breaking Bad being over and out and Mad Men coming to an end, what is there left for me? AMC says Turn is da latest sh!t but the trailer doesn't look too promising, IMO. Dear crocs, when it comes to TV shows, we have been known to agree in the past. Would you recommend True Detectives to me? I've given up on Treme (HBO) and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with Boardwalk Empire (HBO). The best thing I've seen recently is Deadwood (HBO).

PS: Will continue with The Walking Dead (AMC), even though it's a 7/10 show

Alex

Imagine Seven: The Series with some stronger occult-like elements. The execution is top notch, content not so much. Philosopher-cop tormented by past obsessed with corrupted socitety doesn't do much for me.

I've given up on Treme. The first 10 episodes feel like a whole to me. I might revisit it, though. Watched only half of first episode of Boardwalk Empire.

Karol

No, Alex. This is an anthology show. Every season something different.

Karol

The first 10 episodes (Treme) feel like a whole to me.

Agreed! It said it all. Second season only repeats what already has been said with the first season.

It's basically an 8 ep mini series

Hmm, sounds good.

vikings_tv_review_a_l_zps816efb07.jpg

BTW, has anyone seen Vikings?

Vikings is incoming for me because I keep getting hounded by mates to watch it. (the same mates who forced me to start Breaking Bad and The Sopranos).

I don't think True Detective is anything like Fincher's Seven. It's actually a much lighter shade of grim than that deeply cynical and oily movie. I'm not a huge fan of Seven.

The tone and style of True Detective is much closer to Silence of the Lambs. With a healthy dose of Twin Peaks.

Yes Steef, it was the instant Twin Peaks recollections while watching the first episode of TD that made me sit up and take notice. The two have much in common, but only one is a bit bonkers and surreal. TD was never surreal. But their worlds and crimes feel very alike.

Alexcremers would appreciate TD much more than Karol did. It's high end. Very high end. I can't even begin to fathom Croc's remark in regards to the content; I thought it was as satisfying and as consistent as BB in that regard.

If I ain't a fan of BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS and every single film directed by David Fincher but loved TWIN PEAKS, will I enjoy this? Guest 2, leave out the snarky comments (re: Enders).

I don't think True Detective is anything like Fincher's Seven. It's actually a much lighter shade of grim than that deeply cynical and oily movie. I'm not a huge fan of Seven.

The problem Se7en always had more me is that it feels like little more then an attempt to do a darker, version of Silence Of The Lambs, but It's too dark. So dark, gritty and realistic that is feels false and stagey. While Silence feels far more natural.

If I ain't a fan of BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS and every single film directed by David Fincher but loved TWIN PEAKS, will I enjoy this? Guest 2, leave out the snarky comments (re: Enders).

I can't even ask if you normally like cop thrillers (I don't). I honestly wouldn't know whether you would enjoy this thing, because you're sort of a flipside version of Koray Savas as far as I can tell. And trust me when I say I mean that in a good way. Watch the first episode and decide from there, because it really sets the tone for the entire thing.

The problem Se7en always had more me is that it feels like little more then an attempt to do a darker, version of Silence Of The Lambs, but It's too dark. So dark, gritty and realistic that is feels false and stagey. While Silence feels far more natural.

Yes, Seven is doused in a creeping gloom which gets more hopeless as it goes on, but I never once felt a sense of gloominess while watching TD. In fact there's actually some good humor sprinkled about here in and there.

Since so much in TD hinges on the Harrelson/McConaughey relationship it is rather futile to cite every serial killer movie that might have similar themes. The 'crime' story is only a cover here.

Just realised I failed to place the rather important word 'never' in my last post. Fixed.

Since so much in TD hinges on the Harrelson/McConaughey relationship it is rather futile to cite every serial killer movie that might have similar themes. The 'crime' story is only a cover here.

That's partly true, but the 'True Detective' title is more than just apt here. It's absolutely key to what the story is about, who Mcconaughey's character is. On the cop side of things he's like Hank in Breaking Bad. Relentless.

Stefan and Alex. It's "True Detective", not "True Detectives".

Thank you.

Be sure to know every character by their name and with the correct spelling, Steef!

I'm still somewhat in the clear because I haven't watched this show.

Alex

I don't think you'll like it. Would love to be wrong though.

Having given it some further thought I have come to the conclusion that a simple one question test will suffice in answering your query:

Do you love the movie Inception?

If the answer is yes, stay away from True Detective.

I like Inception, dislike MoS and love True Detective.

That's because you're a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Otherwise known as an awkward twat.

Ended up reading this interesting interpretation of it, which largely aligns with my own take: http://io9.com/why-true-detective-is-a-supernatural-show-after-all-1564370767

Fascinating read. I must ponder on this one. And perhaps re-watch the first season. I think the author stretches too far sometimes to fit his theory, but there is something about this that could ring true.

This could be the show where for 3 seasons it seems like three completely unrelated stories, then in season 4 they blow your mind by having it all tie together

Finished the season last night. Still not sure what to take away from all of it. Opposite to most, I actually liked the first 3 episodes a lot more than the latter ones. I think having seen the 6-minute take beforehand kinda disrupted the whole season for me. I didn't know anything about the plot or context of it, but knew it was coming during the whole episode that it occurred in, and that killed a lot of the suspense. Still a breathtaking sequence though.

I feel the show is a lot more similar to Zodiac than Seven, in that it's a slow burn but is never uninteresting. Some really great contemporary noir vibes going on. I immediately thought of The Third Man during the finale's climax.

While the supernatural take on the show is interesting and has some plausibility, I don't really buy into it. Didn't Marty ask Rust in the finale if he still saw things, and Rust replied, "They never really went away." ? On another side note, who was that man they showed at the end of the third episode when Rust was talking about a monster at the end of it all. Ledoux? It was a quick shot and all I recall was some horrendous looking tribal thing with a mask and machete. It was never referenced again.