• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Stefancos

True Detective

561 posts in this topic

But it was untapped potential. It was a nice chilling moment, but when the showdown happened at the meth house they just handcuffed him and blew his head off.

I actually loved that moment Hart shoots Lebouf, because it totally throws the whole show in a different direction.

Also, even though Cohl is the "obsessive cop on the edge" in this series, it's constantly Hart who is the one who loses it.

If I ain't a fan of BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS and every single film directed by David Fincher but loved TWIN PEAKS, will I enjoy this? Guest 2, leave out the snarky comments (re: Enders).

Having given it some further thought I have come to the conclusion that a simple one question test will suffice in answering your query:

Do you love the movie Inception?

I hate it.

Koray wanted to see Hollywood justice.

Courtroom drama? No thank you, I just wanted to see them encounter him in that guise.

You wanted your expectation fulfilled. Sometimes the reality of such scenarios isn't always accommodating to your built-in conventions.

You know, initially I was in the camp that saw an actual supernatural background to the whole story, but after this last viewing, I think I've totally shifted to the opposite view. Rust hallucinated the vortex; based on the symbols and whatnot, it was his idea of what might be lurking at the end of his journey. Errol was just a nut. We see him move through several different personas, including one inspired by James Mason while he watches North By Northwest. He wasn't the Yellow King, he was just part of an old and powerful family, and incorporated his own brand of nuttiness into how he went about the family business. He read about the Yellow King, and Carcosa, and it became part of his delusion - one of his personas. Ledoux and the rest were just more nuts recruited to the cause.

But... I don't think this at all debunks Rust's experience with "deeper" darkness and his father/daughter. That I believe was real.

Not sure about Vince Vaugn

I liked him in the 90s when he played different characters. Ever since Old School it seems like he's pretty much just been doing the same thing for the last decade. It'll be interesting to see that old Vince Vaughn again.

Maybe. But Matthew was already on the road to greatness. He'd been picking more interesting roles then the "love interest for Jennifer Aniston/Sarah Jessica Parker/any other TV actress" stuff he did in the naughties.

I'm serious. The comparisons are extensive, and Pizzolato acknowledges Thomas Ligotti -- but only when asked about him directly.

Meh. Only skimmed the article, but the philosophy of Cohl is hardly something uniquely original that can only trace back to one source. Plenty of people have felt the way Cohl does about existence

Maybe. But Matthew was already on the road to greatness. He'd been picking more interesting roles then the "love interest for Jennifer Aniston/Sarah Jessica Parker/any other TV actress" stuff he did in the naughties.

He was actually approached for True Detective before Mud and Dallas Buyer's Club.

I think there's enough material lifted from Ligotti to warrant a lawsuit (or petition to have a screen credit). I don't think the Slate article actually read the breakdown of the plagiarism claim thoroughly, just skimmed over it.

Is it just me, or are the people who usually cry plagiarism never the people actually being plagiarized?

Will we be suing Ligotti for his plagiarisms of Lovecraft?

Is it just me, or are the people who usually cry plagiarism never the people actually being plagiarized?

True, but sometimes that happens to get the attention of the person/entity being plagiarized, i.e. Elliot Goldenthal and the debacle over Tyler Bates' score for 300.

Just watched the whole season within the last few days. Its got some problems but overall its really bloody good. The darker stuff and themes actually remind me a cross of Silence of the Lambs (specifically buffalo bill scenes) and the Red Riding: in the Year of Our Lord movie trilogy. If you like this you may want to check that out.

Red Riding: in the Year of Our Lord

Huh, never heard of that one.

I did a Google search and it seems many actually made the connection to Red Riding. Some argue TD is better, some the opposite. While they obviously share similarities, they are quite different in the end. TD is double-faceted; one part is about the gruesome crime at hand, the other about the characters of Rust and Marty, and their relationship.

The Red Riding movies are more traditional in the sense that its crime noir wrapped in really morally murky waters. It's dark, gloomy stuff. And no, not really like Se7en. I love that film, but even I admit it has a deep cynicism for cynicism's sake. There's gloom and doom, but they exist within the frame of the film, rarely ever leaping off the screen into your surrounding atmosphere. No real problem in that, it's Se7en's style, and I love it for what it is. Red Riding on the other hand has palpably toxic atmosphere that just wraps around you. And each movie has its own director and by extension own style. The first is the most grimy and lo-fi one, Abd features an exceptional performance by Andrew Garfield whose young and brash and arrogant reporter carries real heft of screen presence that's usually reserved for older actors. The second and third films are 'cleaner' looking but morally and in tone they're pitch black. All three have a great sense of locale too, the kind that makes you never want to visit those places.

I'm surprised not many have heard of this trilogy. It's some top class work.

They still haven't figured out who they want as their leads

http://www.avclub.com/article/true-detective-adds-seven-more-actresses-its-flat--209302

Hope they choose Brit Marling. She's quite a good actress (she also a good writer) and it'll be nice to see her in something high profile. Though considering she's in contention with Jessica Biel of all people, makes me think they really want eye candy for this role.

I wonder if they are pulling a switcharoo - who they announce as the new leads get killed off in ep 1 or 2, and then other detectives followup their murder for the rest of the season

Well I just read that Colim Farrel could the lead for season 2. Now him I like, although it's hard to imagine him stacking up against McConaughey. Then again it all depends on the writing what it demands from the actors, so I see potential in this. Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch on the other hand, I'm not sold on.

Two days on from finishing season 1 and it's still all in my head. It may very well go down as a classic in my books. Certainly it's got me thinking about the characters more than I have for Walter White.