JWFan James Horner Listening Party

Jay

Wouldn't you say it's worth it? Ok, it's a lot for just under an hour of music, but what music it is.

The way I see it, no single CD album is worth that much. It just isn't.

Karol

I didn't make that purchasing decision lightly. It was the least expensive option among choices of the same album from different sellers asking for at least $100.

For me it's a valuable entry in my CD collection that I've been without for so long.

I got the vinyl years ago for about three bucks.

Yes, but these days everything gets expanded and re-released anyway. There might be a slight setback now, given sad circumstances, but Horner never really prevented any of those from being pressed. So I still see no point,.

I don't really have a fetish for particular "mint" copies or particular packaging. I just want the best possible presentation of music in best possible sound. Doesn't need to be super complete. I know these guys generally do stellar jobs with sources provided by studio.

Karol

An American Tail: Fievel goes West

Wow! I have never seen any of these films or heard any of these scores. My first listen here of Fievel Goes West was quite enjoyable! I liked the main theme and all the adventure music. Didn't like any of the songs, though. Oh, and a bunch of material towards the end of the CD was extremely familiar to me, I think from some movie trailers back in the day?

Wow! I have never seen any of these films or heard any of these scores. My first listen here of Fievel Goes West was quite enjoyable! I liked the main theme and all the adventure music. Didn't like any of the songs, though. Oh, and a bunch of material towards the end of the CD was extremely familiar to me, I think from some movie trailers back in the day?

I grew up on those films. Great stuff. And the familiarity probably comes from this ;)

You didn't like...DREAMS TO DREAM?

:angry:

I don't really like pop music.

Also don't forget I've never seen the film. Maybe if I had the songs would have more meaning to me.

You know what's funny, I thought only the three tracks marked with other artists were the only songs, so I got confused when there was singing in the middle of track two. Then I recognized it.... I sang that Somewhere Out There song in choir when I was in elementary school! Or middle school, I guess.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Intrada)

A fun one! A nice main theme, nice action, suspense, and emotional music. Interesting that some of the suspense music foreshadows what he'd do in Aliens.

No idea how complete the Intrada album is, but a re-issue of the C&C score would be most welcome.

Legends of the Fall

Delightful! Dunno how this one has passed me by all these years! Probably because I've never seen the film (or even had a slight interest in seeing the film). Great main theme, wonderful emotional music. "Samuel's Death" is one corker of a 8 1/2 minute action cue! Some nice trumpet material that reminded me of Barry's Dances with Wolves.

Will be revisiting this one again soon. Any idea how complete it is?

The Missing is overlong and repetitive, even when truncated to 45 minutes. :P

Jay: give the movie a chance, it's a great one, a classic in my book, with truly great performances and cinematography, and music (of course). The story is VERY romantic and tragic (for the mrs) and full of old-fashioned american family values.

Uncommon Valor

Heh. This would probably be regarded much higher than it is if there had been an OST at the time of the film's release, and he hadn't re-used so much of this in other scores. It's borderline absurd how much the theme here prefigures his military theme from ALIENS. At times you really feel like you're listening to someones Aliens remix :P Generally speaking, though, this is a solid militaristic action score, full of classic Horner action writing.

That song at the end though :folder:

The Missing is overlong and repetitive, even when truncated to 45 minutes. :P

Nonsense!!

And Jay, it's surprising to see how many Horner classics/hits you've missed! Better late than never though ;)

Wolfen

Man on man. Even more than Uncommon Valor, this is like a remix of Aliens' military theme. Almost every cue features it, it goes through so many variations. I actually really like this score a lot, and I can only imagine how much more I'd like it if he came up with a completely different military theme for Aliens. Since Aliens is one of my oldest and biggest Horner loves, I'll always associate the theme with that movie, so it makes it hard to fully invest in other scores that use it. But this is a very well done, very effective horror score. Love the moody atmosphere. Never seen the film - is it any good?

Casper

Can't believe I never listened to this! This is awesome! I love how it opens with a brilliant 7 1/2 minute track that completely sets you up for all the wackiness to come. This is like his version of a Danny Elfman score, kinda, but it totally has a Horner vibe throughout. Man, it was so much fun! Great trumpet fanfares, great moody stuff, great wacky stuff, even a swing piece! That Casper's Lullaby track was really nice too. The contrabassoon gets more workout here than I think any CD I've ever heard. I already want to listen to this OST again.

Should I see the movie?

I'll just copy & paste this here, along with a new smilie:

It's not surprising, it's embarrassing ! :bash:

Casper is great ! It has been for 20 years... how many more are there that you're just discovering now? Seriously when did you first discover Horner's music? 2007?

Sorry, I'm just messing with ya... :love:

I've been listening to Horner scores since 1994!

I have never seen films like Casper, Legends of the Fall, Cocoon... why would I seek out their scores? I was busy enjoying Star Trek 2 & 3, Krull, Aliens, Willow, Apollo 13, Rocketeer, Jumanji, Braveheart, Titanic, etc..

You could've enjoyed them all while the man was alive... Now he's dead and you can't thank him anymore for all the great music he has left us.

But I'm a little envious as well. Discovering all these great scores now during these times of so many generic duds sure must be fantastic.

Casper

Should I see the movie?

To answer this, I think it's utterly charming and fun, especially with that score in the background. Christina Ricci is adorable. Bill Pullman has a nice enough part as her dad. Some cool cameos! And a great sound mix!

I have it on blu-ray here lying right beside me (begging to be watched). :)

CASPER is a notch above Amblin's FLINTSTONES (meaning it's mostly terrible but watchable with kids), mostly due to Horner, but WOLFEN is really a great, great movie.

Wolfen finally came out on blu recently... maybe I'll watch it soon. The score is infectious.

I've always had Casper on a mental list of scores to finally check out some day, for sure. Usually for these things, I wait for a specialty label to tackle it before tracking down a copy of the original OST. Like I never bought Cocoon, Bobby Fischer, or the Jack Ryan Horner scores until their specialty expansions came out.

You chose not to listen to them? :eh:

What if the albums that were released would have been the only ones available? You'd have missed out on all of them because of out of print-ness or similar.

Imagine for a second no Intrada, Lalaland, or any other specialty label, due to some unforeseen cataclysmic disaster, or aliens invading the planet and destroying the very buildings the CD's were manufactured in before they got shipped out.

No man, I just made sure I had them already long before that eventuality could occur. :D

Meh. I have my collection, you have yours.

I own 1,200 CDs. I think I'm doing just fine.

I've always had Casper on a mental list of scores to finally check out some day, for sure. Usually for these things, I wait for a specialty label to tackle it before tracking down a copy of the original OST. Like I never bought Cocoon, Bobby Fischer, or the Jack Ryan Horner scores until their specialty expansions came out.

Horner's old albums are overlong as they are. Why wait 20 years to upgrade a 70-minute album??