• 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know (own) this score.

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thor, baby, it did continue, with THE LONG GOODBYE...but I know what you mean.

True. I obviously meant after that.

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Did you know that JW was scheduled to score QUINTET?

I did not. Where's this info?

There aren't any tapes for the music of "Images". It only exists on vinyl made for the Academy Awards members for inclusion in the "Best Music, Original Dramatic Score" category for the 1973 Oscars (and it was nominated). Meaning: it's a FYC album. :)

Another funny thing is that this FYC vinyl contains music not used in the film. I believe the Academy changed the rules about that (don't know when), and FYC albuns that feature music not heard in the film are not allowed anymore.

On 28.12.2017 at 11:22 PM, phbart said:

There aren't any tapes for the music of "Images". It only exists on vinyl made for the Academy Awards members for inclusion in the "Best Music, Original Dramatic Score" category for the 1973 Oscars (and it was nominated). Meaning: it's a FYC album. :)

Another funny thing is that this FYC vinyl contains music not used in the film. I believe the Academy changed the rules about that (don't know when), and FYC albuns that feature music not heard in the film are not allowed anymore.

It does make sense, but it doesn't at the same time. It's an award for best score and not for best music used in film. This way Alien and The Lost World have never had a chance to get nominated.

7 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Out of curiosity, how does the Images score compare to the most dissonant passages in Close Encounters, "Barry's Kidnapping" in particular?

Rather different. "Barry's Kidnapping" is more in the style of Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" (the choral, dissonant bit from 2001), while the dissonant bits of IMAGES are more experimental and avantgarde; the percussive and string sounds are more similar to Arne Nordheim or Karl-Heinz Stockhausen. Of course, IMAGES also has the tonal bits, the elegant, fairytale waltz ("Blood Moon" etc.). The two parts of IMAGES mirror the protagonist's schizophrenic mental state (the tonal bits are for Cathryn's self-constructed fairytale world, while the dissonant parts are reality and real-life memories "intruding" on her existence).

On December 31, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Thor said:

Rather different. "Barry's Kidnapping" is more in the style of Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" (the choral, dissonant bit from 2001), while the dissonant bits of IMAGES are more experimental and avantgarde; the percussive and string sounds are more similar to Arne Nordheim or Karl-Heinz Stockhausen. Of course, IMAGES also has the tonal bits, the elegant, fairytale waltz ("Blood Moon" etc.). The two parts of IMAGES mirror the protagonist's schizophrenic mental state (the tonal bits are for Cathryn's self-constructed fairytale world, while the dissonant parts are reality and real-life memories "intruding" on her existence).

Mm, more like chorus reminiscent of Ligeti, and strings reminiscent of Penderecki in "Barry's Kidnapping" :)

Anyway, I listened to some tracks from Images this morning, and there's some very cool work by Yamash'ta between the notes, but "Reflections" really knocked my socks off and put me in a trance (which is ironic, considering that it wasn't used by Altman). I don't think I have the stomach for listening to the whole score now, but I'm definitely going to check out the film. Don't know if I should rent the DVD now, or wait for the Blu-ray in March...