Jóhann Jóhannsson - ARRIVAL (2016)

antovolk

Johannsson's scores generally sounds awesome in a film. They fit and even enhance the movie's atmosphere so to say. But is it possible to daily-listen to them while, for example, driving a car? Not really... 

It is possible for at least me, my wife, and my children. How do you account for this?

KK, to answer your question from another thread, I think this score is excellent in every respect.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm listening to the score, as I type this.

Does anyone have a chronological running order, yet?

On 11/7/2016 at 5:25 PM, Skelly said:

You can listen to the entire score here (totally legally):

http://cuttingedge.sourceaudio.com/#!explorer?b=3633798

The tracks are all in alphabetical order, but according to the slates the chronological order is:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm calling it right here, right now.  This will be Johannsson's 3rd Oscar nomination in a row and this is the movie and year I think he will win. (I should also mention, I think this OST is incredible and the win would be richly deserved)

Of what's been released so far I'd certainly agree that this has been the best. 

Any other big big hitters yet to come?

and don't mention Djiatchino and Rogue One 

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Of what's been released so far I'd certainly agree that this has been the best. 

Any other big big hitters yet to come?

and don't mention Djiatchino and Rogue One 

La La Land, although for obvious reasons it's more likely to get one or more Best Original Song nominations.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I agree. He's the most probable winner (regardless of the quality of the score).

Jóhannsson will definitely be nominated. But La La Land will win.

Right now, ARRIVAL is not on my Top 10 list of the year, as much as I like it -- but I need to spend more time with the album first. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets nominated, though.

Since there isn't a thread specifically for this film, I'll post this here.

One of my favorite writers analyzing films is David Bordwell (he's more an academic than a critic) and he just posted a really good essay specifically about the way Arrival plays with time and the viewer's perception of it.  I highly recommend reading this to anyone who saw the movie!

ARRIVAL: When is Now?

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Since there isn't a thread specifically for this film, I'll post this here.

One of my favorite writers analyzing films is David Bordwell (he's more an academic than a critic) and he just posted a really good essay specifically about the way Arrival plays with time and the viewer's perception of it.  I highly recommend reading this to anyone who saw the movie!

ARRIVAL: When is Now?

Thanks for the tip! Bordwell is probably the biggest 'film critic/scholar superstar' in the world, and I've used him plenty of times over the years -- both as a student and lecturer. Especially his cornerstone books "Classical Hollywood Cinema" and "Film Art" (often in collaboration with his wife Kristin Thompson). I'd be curious to read anything he has to say, especially on more contemporary films.

• 1 month later...

Because people still think his opinions matters, or is relevant in any way.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/arrival.html

Bah! I think I may have officially lost my patience with Clemmenson.

Because he holds a different opinion about something as mundane as a film score?

I have respect for him, and enjoy some of the snarkier bits of his reviews. But this one just rubbed me the wrong way.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Because he holds a different opinion about something as mundane as a film score?

No, because he expresses an opinion, chooses not to justify it, and then dismisses all those who do not share that opinion as morons who can't "see the obvious". It's all just pointless snark without any attempt at a discussion at the merits or lack-of. I've known about his narrow perspective on film music for a while, but this one might take the cake. It's worse than JWFan's most conservative old coots.

I guess it wouldn't mind so much if he didn't have a readership of about a million who genuinely look to his reviews to guide them in their formative years of exploring film music. I know how impressionable many of them can be to CC's reviews, because I was one of them. And reviews like this are the ones that continue to breed ignorance with a field as diverse as this one.

As if there is only a single way to approach emotion, and a single way to score any film, and any score that fails to fit that mould is an automatic failure... :rolleyes:

The fanboys over the scoreboard aren't doing any favours either. Nor are those trying to "critique" him...

Sorry, long day. In a bit of a mood.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Aren't we all these days.

I agree with you about CC's reviewing style though. It's ultimately quite narrow-minded.

It's not being narrow-minded to think orchestral music is better than droning, sound design-like material, it's called "being right"!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

It's not being narrow-minded to think orchestral music is better than droning, sound design-like material, it's called "being right"!

I like you Alvar, so I'll let this one slide. But don't shit with me.

Besides, that's not the point. He didn't have the courtesy to try and justify that "stance". You know...review it? Instead, he just dismisses it as lazy, uninspired and so forth, when clearly this score is one with a lot of thought put into it. I mean he didn't just copy and paste a bunch of sounds together? And just because it's not your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's fact, and that everyone else is objectively wrong.

Just now, Stefancos said:

It depends...

Context is everything. CC's reviews often tend to forget that in a sense, and it's why they can be kinda shallow, or frustrating, like this one.

Just now, KK said:

I like you Alvar, so I'll let this one slide. But don't shit with me.

For A Canadian that's about as rude as it goes right? Did you feel an instinctive urge to immediately apologize to BB?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And you think Alvar doesnt have the text saved somewhere? Ready for him to use it at any opportunity?

Oh I'm sure of that. That sneaky little bastard will destroy me some day, I'm sure of it. He is my brother after all.

For A Canadian that's about as rude as it goes right? Did you feel an instinctive urge to immediately apologize to BB?

Yes...the hesitation was strong. My Kanadian guilt was instantaneous.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I bet they have a review of his FOTR live-to-screen experience!

Sooon....soooooooooon....

My least favorite thing about CC's reviews is the way he characterizes the opinions of those who disagree with him.  Sure is easy to knock down counter-arguments of shoddily constructed straw men!

So you are Alvar's brother? How is Alice?

I'm not allowed to see her. :(

Just now, Disco Stu said:

My least favorite thing about CC's reviews is the way he characterizes the opinions of those who disagree with him.  Sure is easy to knock down counter-arguments of shoddily constructed straw men!

Indeed. But heck I'm not even as bothered by that as I am by how he upholds his definition of "good film music" (where every score has to sound like Star Wars, with the thematic construction of LOTR... :rolleyes:) as the one and only valid way to approach music.

True. Though I find very little of worth in what I've heard of Arrival's score, or Johannsson's other work. Sounding more akin to the more eclectic stylings of Media Ventures/RCP than the work of a serious artist as he appears to be.

There's a lot more craft to it than that, in my opinion. And I think I've written enough essays on this thread and forum on why I think so. But hey I can respect that you don't dig it.

Although are you not the least bit intrigued by that final cue?

It's one of those scores that really needs the film to have any resonance for me. (Like how The Dark Knight is a fantastic and effective score when seen with the film, but very hollow when I listen to it on it's own, something I no longer do with that score, tbh...)

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Re-release Arrival in theatres with new footage! Is this a first?!

http://www.heyuguys.com/arrival-rerelease/

No, Close Encounters was rereleased in the cinemas with some new footage, in the early 80's I believe. Same for E.T. in 2002.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Same for E.T. in 2002.

I know, 10 years later, so that's not the curious part. Arrival is still new, I think it is still playing in cinemas here and already it's being re-released.