NEW Audio interview with Mike Matessino about The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

JurassicParkPodcast

There is usually no reason to remix a score from multitrack elements when the original stereo (or LCR or 5.1) mix survives. Especially a perfect one like Shawn Murphy's mix of Jurassic Park.

Remixing instead of using the original stereo mix is how you end up with an inferior product like Intrada's version of Cliffhanger. Neil Bulk wisely used the original stereo mix for the LLL version.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is absolutely no reason to remix a score from multitrack elements when the original stereo mix survives. Especially a perfect one like Shawn Murphy's stereo mix of Jurassic Park.

Remixing instead of using the original stereo mix is how you end up with an inferior product like Intrada's version of Cliffhanger. Neil Bulk wisely used the original stereo mix for the LLL version.

Maybe. But for "The Lost World", you heard MM saying that they had to use the multi track tapes because the stereo one was unusable (side note: a 1997 tape already in this condition is somewhat frightening to me). I can't imagine the stereo mix, in proper conditions, sounding any better than this.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Of course I do.

Of course. So I'll stay in course, then.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not what he said about The Lost World actually.

It's kind of ambiguous, actually. He says the multi track tapes they used had a 5.1 mix and a stereo mix as well. Now, by saying "I ended up using THAT as source", I interpreted the "that" as "the former" (5.1 mix), and not "the latter" (stereo mix), otherwise he could've said "this" instead of "that".

Go to 1:01:21 from the youtube video.

55 minutes ago, phbart said:

(side note: a 1997 tape already in this condition is somewhat frightening to me)

The key to archiving this stuff is also maintaining it. These days, it's all digital. 20 years ago, master tapes are discarded in a warehouse somewhere and deteriorate because it's background music for a movie. We may run into problems at some point down the line when they can actually release this music to a niche audience clamoring for it, but they seem to figure out how to repair the damage.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

It's kind of ambiguous, actually. He says the multi track tapes they used had a 5.1 mix and a stereo mix as well. Now, by saying "I ended up using THAT as source", I interpreted the "that" as "the former" (5.1 mix), and not "the latter" (stereo mix), otherwise he could've said "this" instead of "that".

Go to 1:01:21 from the youtube video.

You're overthinking this. He used the stereo mix from the 1" tape because the stereo mix on the 1/2" tape was deteriorating .

28 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Just do a re-recording. Problem solved.

Or don't let the composer decide what gets released and what gets locked in a facility to deteriorate. No one should have that kind of power. Just release it all.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You're overthinking this. He used the stereo mix from the 1" tape because the stereo mix on the 1/2" tape was deteriorating .

Nah. I smoked marijuana yesterday. I think I'm still a little high... and still a little philosophical too.

3 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Or don't let the composer decide what gets released and what gets locked in a facility to deteriorate. No one should have that kind of power. Just release it all.

Guess who'd give this comment a thumb down, if it was possible...