Contact with John Williams

Mr. Brown

Isnt Kevin Kaska his brother in law?

Umm . . . no. That would make the Maestro a relative of mine. Believe me, I'd know. He's just another great Boston symphony conductor.

Isnt Kevin Kaska his brother in law?

Umm . . . no. That would make the Maestro a relative of mine. Believe me, I'd know. He's just another great Boston symphony conductor.

I think you may be confusing Kevin Kaska with Jay Gruska, Stefan. Gruska is the ex-husband of Williams' daughter Jennifer. So that would make Jay his ex-son-in-law. Gruska, of course, is a composer in his own right, perhaps most famous still for his work on the LOIS & CLARK tv show (funny Superman connection there!) as well as SUPERNATURAL.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering will the agent send them back if I mail a few CD covers to ask for his signature?

No, they will burn them while they laugh hysterically! :devil:

Seriously, it's worth taking a chance, but it may take a long while. Also, Williams seems to have toned down his autographs in recent years, at most sending out a signed stock photo if the pen-and-paper letter is considered good by Williams' "people".

Speaking of contact with Williams, I had a long chat with Nancy Knutsen in Krakow (Williams' former assistant). I told her about my desire to interview him, but she stressed the point that he was an old man now, and the likelihood of that happening was slim. Even back when she was his assistant. Of course, these days he has another assistant (which I know some of you are aware of), so she doesn't really have any say in it. But my impression is that this new assistant is even more protective.

The JW circle is very protective. An assistant would be wise to not breach this trust since it would be career limiting to get on his bad side. Go through the management. They'll queue these things up but the odds of a one off at this stage is not likely. Also remember he's about to go on full on writing mode so this is not a quick turn around request from just one person that will just take a moment of his time. Be realistic.

He has tapes recorded of everything he does. Apparently there are 18 minutes missing from those tapes he made public.

They're not missing, he's just waiting to put them in order for a better listening experience!