Photo

Freaking brilliant moments on the "Hook" album worth special mentions!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

The last part of "Farewell" takes a page right out of Home Alone, but that's not necessarily bad. In fact, I love Home Alone, and I love the last part of "Farewell."

Something very exuberant, Christmassy, and delightful about it!

#42 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20468 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I hope we get a lot of outtakes of the When You're Alone song, or maybe just a CD of fifteen composers providing their spin on the theme.

What?

#43 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm definitely a fan of the tuba solo in "The Banquet."

#44 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17572 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

The last part of "Farewell" takes a page right out of Home Alone, but that's not necessarily bad. In fact, I love Home Alone, and I love the last part of "Farewell."

The similarity you hear is because the same intervals are used-- the first two notes of "Somewhere in My Memory" are the same as the first two notes of the Neverland Theme, from which the end of "Farewell Neverland" is derived.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#45 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

I remember at least one poster here (I think it was Prometheus) disliking this score, I wonder what they thought was wrong about it.

#46 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

The similarity you hear is because the same intervals are used-- the first two notes of "Somewhere in My Memory" are the same as the first two notes of the Neverland Theme, from which the end of "Farewell Neverland" is derived.

Well, yes, but not only that.

There is one section, an accompaniment played by strings, that's exactly the same as heard in "Mom Returns..." I don't have the time stamp now, but listen to it again, and you can't miss it!

#47 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14318 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

This score reminds me of Temple of Doom in terms of how dense and bombastic it is, although Hook has a bit more heart to it. I think it's a strong album presentation, showcasing its broad scope, for example "Banning Back Home" is so American and domestic that it contrasts the film's aesthetic difference between reality and the fantasy of Neverland. "The Banquet" and "The Never-Feast" always spring to mind when I'm being overfed in these work related junkets I attend. "Remembering Childhood" and "You Are the Pan" are beautifully melancholy. "When You're Alone" is pretty, but I'd rather hear a more experienced vocalist have a crack at it. "Presenting the Hook" is amazingly fun and does a lot in about two and half minutes. The "Prologue" almost rivals Star Wars in the way you open an album with a bang.

#48 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hook reminds me of ToD, Last Crusade, Home Alone, Empire of the Sun, Harry Potter PS and CoS, and Tintin.

What a gem of a score! I've never quite appreciated it up to now, but I am definitely starting to!

"When You're Alone" is pretty, but I'd rather hear a more experienced vocalist have a crack at it.

Has this never been re-recorded?

Not with the BPO, not with any other artist(s)? :blink:

#49 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

In the context of the film, I do appreciate the raw quality of it, though. She's not squawking or anything, she's just singing like a child. I prefer that to something like the kids singing in the back of the train on The Polar Express.

#50 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

I really wonder, though, whether there'll be an alternate version of the song included on the Expanded Hook...

And there's one other song that JW wrote for the movie, isn't there? Besides the 2 that are on the OS album, I mean! :)

#51 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15692 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

And there's one other song that JW wrote for the movie, isn't there? Besides the 2 that are on the OS album, I mean! :)

Oh, there are more than just one! You can learn more about it here.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#52 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3803 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yes, the song is called "Pick 'em Up". It will surely be on the new release.

#53 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28091 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

This score reminds me of Temple of Doom in terms of how dense and bombastic it is, although Hook has a bit more heart to it. I think it's a strong album presentation, showcasing its broad scope, for example "Banning Back Home" is so American and domestic that it contrasts the film's aesthetic difference between reality and the fantasy of Neverland. "The Banquet" and "The Never-Feast" always spring to mind when I'm being overfed in these work related junkets I attend. "Remembering Childhood" and "You Are the Pan" are beautifully melancholy. "When You're Alone" is pretty, but I'd rather hear a more experienced vocalist have a crack at it. "Presenting the Hook" is amazingly fun and does a lot in about two and half minutes. The "Prologue" almost rivals Star Wars in the way you open an album with a bang.

Drax, this is why you should post more than just your usual couple of words ;)
Posted Image

#54 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33908 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the link to that page, I had never seen that before!

#55 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20146 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm definitely a fan of the tuba solo in "The Banquet."

This.

#56 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28091 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

But the question on everybody's lips is: is it better than the rhino's tuba solo in Indy's First Adventure?
Posted Image

#57 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17572 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Wow, I never new sheet music for this existed. Parts of the lyrics seem like they would fit well with the "Lost Boys Chase," even though the corresponding rhythms don't always work. Do we know what part of the film this was from? Probably when Robin Williams is "training" to become Peter Pan?
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#58 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7740 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hook reminds me of ToD, Last Crusade, Home Alone, Empire of the Sun, Harry Potter PS and CoS, and Tintin.

What a gem of a score! I've never quite appreciated it up to now, but I am definitely starting to!

This score pretty much summed up most of Williams' musical ideas at the time. It hinted at old ideas he used in scores like The Last Crusade and Home Alone (the Neverland in theme in particular) but the score was also the chance Williams took to test new ideas he had formulating in his head. And so, the score served as a foundation and one of the inspirations of what we would eventually hear in scores like Far and Away, The Phantom Menace and Harry Potter. Its great to hear where some Williams sounds were rooted in.

This score is bloody brilliant for the multitude of themes and the spirit of adventure that Williams so successfully infuses. I need to listen to this again to be reminded of how awesome it is...and so I shall be doing that this evening :D

nb6gs9.jpg

#59 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17082 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

Williams also doffed his cap to the wonderful seafaring and swashbuckling music of old in Hook and does it with breathtaking finesse. Even though the final sword fight between Hook and Peter is not on the OST it has to be one of my top Williams cues ever. I have to count some time how many times the cymbal player has to make those hits during the Ultimate War sequence to signal sword hitting a sword or just to add to all the general razzmatazz going on. :P

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#60 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

This score pretty much summed up most of Williams' musical ideas at the time. It hinted at old ideas he used in scores like The Last Crusade and Home Alone (the Neverland in theme in particular)

I think it's too simplistic to believe that the "Neverland Theme" was based on or is a rip-off of the "Main Theme from Home Alone." They both express positive feelings, but they are quite different, in my opinion. If we just go by melody (the up and down, and repeat), we might as well include "Theme from Schindler's List"! ;)

I meant the orchestration overall, and especially the latter part of the "Farewell."

This score is bloody brilliant for the multitude of themes and the spirit of adventure that Williams so successfully infuses. I need to listen to this again to be reminded of how awesome it is...and so I shall be doing that this evening :D

I couldn't agree with you more.

And I am listening to it now, in between WH and Tintin! :music:

#61 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14318 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

This score made me grow up.

#62 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17082 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

This score made me grow up.

Good to know. Now that you are all mature and serious you should post more often. ;)

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#63 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33908 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Wow, I never new sheet music for this existed. Parts of the lyrics seem like they would fit well with the "Lost Boys Chase," even though the corresponding rhythms don't always work. Do we know what part of the film this was from? Probably when Robin Williams is "training" to become Peter Pan?

Um, Indy4, this song is IN the film. It just wasn't on the OST.

#64 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ah yes, thanks!

I actually like this song. It grows on you!

#65 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17572 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Um, Indy4, this song is IN the film. It just wasn't on the OST.

Ah, that would explain why the lyrics were vaguely familiar.

#66 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67145 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hahahahaha!

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#67 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

There are some great unreleased songs written by JW still...

This is one. A song from PoA (though barely heard in the movie) is another.

Anything else?

#68 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15692 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

There is I Wanna Be A Jedi, that was supposed to be sung by Anakin in AOTC

I Wanna Be A Jedi
Slay sand people and kiss Amidala
But Obi is mean with me
He doesn't want me to be happy!

The rest of the lyrics has not leaked yet.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#69 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17082 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

There is I Wanna Be A Jedi, that was supposed to be sung by Anakin in AOTC

I Wanna Be A Jedi
Slay sand people and kiss Amidala
But Obi is mean with me
He doesn't want me to be happy!

The rest of the lyrics has not leaked yet.

Also there is the song performed at the opera in RotS that was replaced by the weird deep throat singing on the soundtrack. Williams had Palpatine watching a Chrimassy play where the choir would chant "Kill Obi Wan" as subliminal message to Anakin to the tune of Carol of Bells. Shame that it was scrapped.

#70 Richard

Richard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5225 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

"Banning Back Home", is stil my favourite cue.

This is good, but compared to the other tracks... urghhhh!

Also, I can't really listen to the second track and that song sung by the little girl. Well, I can, but these are not my favorites, is what I am saying.

"Banning Back Home" is the best thing that Dave Grusin never wrote! :P

"When You're Alone" should come with a Government Health Warning, to be sure, but if you listen to the lyrics, you realise that it is being sung by the strongest character in the film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users