Wow, Film About 9/11 Gets Monster Score.

A24

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but it appears the public prefers Robin Williams in a recycled vacation film.

Although there are some on this board who would believe box office receipts to amount to jack squat.

the film's box office has spiked and will decline from this point. those who really wanted to see it already have.

I'm anxiously waiting for the inevitable, obligatory, pre-packaged comment reminding all of us to trust only our own opinion of films and that we shouldn't listen to critics.

Ted

Never listen to critics you should know what you like and what to watch........

See! I knew it was coming!

Ted

you should listen to the critics as a guideline,

I think critics in the internet age can kind of jump on a PC "bandwagon" about certain films and give mass critical praise to a film that doesn't really deserve it.

K.M.

The thread title made me think that United 93 was tracked with Godzilla music.

LOL

BTW, from time to time, critics can be wrong*, but when given the choice, I rather listen to the critics than Mark Olivarez. :)

Alex

*about Crash (2004), for instance

Has anyone seen the film yet?

Morlock- who assumed this thread was going to be about Craig Armstrong's score to Oliver Stone's film

When I read the title I thought he was either praising John Powell' score for United 93 or something exciting had happened with the score for Stone's 9/11 film.

BTW, from time to time, critics can be wrong*, but when given the choice, I rather listen to the critics than Mark Olivarez.  :)  

Alex

*about Crash (2004), for instance

Not all critics loved that movie the way the Academy does.

Ted, who saw United 93 last night and thought that John Powell's score was perfect

It is an amazing film, certainly one of the toughest movies I've ever watched. Greengrass definitely did his homework, and he provided a visceral experience like no other. As many of the reviews indicate, this movie has no political agenda and is instead a memorial to the lives lost on that day. It is poignant, disturbing, tense, and incredibly moving.

Ted

When I read the title I thought he was either praising John Powell' score for United 93 or something exciting had happened with the score for Stone's 9/11 film.

oliver stone= jfk, bot4j and nixon=john williams. maybe 9/11 = john williams? *crossing fingers*

oliver stone= jfk, bot4j and nixon=john williams. maybe 9/11 = john williams? *crossing fingers*

at one point it was rumoured to be an effort made by both James Horner and John Williams, but unfortanetly that's Imdb, and it turns out the composer is Craig Armstrong

I saw the movie yesterday. Utterly fantastic piece of film making. This thing gripped me so emotionally that it was hard to sit still. There is so much confusion, but for good reason...because the characters themselves are confused. It's so interesting to watch and it sucks you right in with the chaos. It goes back and forth for a while between the events on United 93 and the rest of the professional world dealing with the situation they see unfolding, first in New York, then at the Pentagon, though the eyes of Air Traffic Control and the Military. Then it all culminates to a gut-wrenching sequence of inevitability. I guarantee that the last 20 minutes get you near the breaking point. I went with a friend, and neither of us talked for about 30 minutes afterwards. I didn't feel like saying anything or even hearing anyone else's voice during those moments. It was a depressing experience that makes me wish movies like this didn't need to be made, but at the same time, so very glad that they are when they're needed.

Tim

Indeed the movie was great. I agree with Tim 100%.

I didn't know the score was by Powell, but it was subtle and appropriate. After the end, with that last intense chord, it seemed like no one in the theater knew exactly what to do (btw, the end of the film was tremendous).

~Sturgis