Lucas to digitally remove from Star Wars, Sir...

JoeinAR

Alec Guinness. According to a report in the London Evening Standard newspaper. 8O I would provide a link but it is by subscription only. :angry:

According to the article, Lucas will digitally replace the original Obi-Wan Kenobi with current Obi-Wan Ewen McGregor. Lucasfilm spokesman and producer Rick McCallum is quoted as saying " This is an unfortunate event, but because of residual negotiations with the Guinness estate have collapsed, George has no choice but to remove Guinness, since he no longer has permission to use Guinness' likeness in the original Star Wars Trilogy." :(

When contacted the Guinness estate denied these allegations, and said that this all came about because Ewan McGregor and George Lucas felt that for continuity reasons, that McGregor should be the one and only Obi-Wan. :angry:

This comes about only days after Lucasfilms annouced that deceased legendary British actor Peter Cushing would also be digitally removed from his original role as Grand Moff Tarkin. According to reports Lucasfilm is in negotiations with Ben Kingsley, and F. Murray Abraham to replace Cushing. :eek: A decision will be made shortly. Again residual rights were the reason according to Lucasfilm spokesman Rick McCallum. McCallum says that director Lucas will shoot these replacement scenes in the late fall, early winter. Lucas wants these scenes completed before he begins shooting Star Wars Ep. III next summer.

All this is just horrible news to original Star Wars purists like myself. Lucas continues to tinker with his Star Wars saga too a point that it will soon be unrecognisable. banghead

Lucas should be :fouetaa: Leave the trilogy alone George :nono:

All this news makes me want to :sigh:

Joe, who just wants to bawling

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm,

Sounds like we should take the original prints away from Lucas so he can't ruin them. A "Save Films from their own Directors Club".

"All we have to do is break into George Lucas' house and steal those prints. What's the pressure in that?" - Cartman

"Aaah" - Tweek

:angry::sigh::fouetaa::angry:

Those are really bad news... This continuity story is so stupid (to say the least)... Have this guys ever heard of the James Bond movies... How many actors have played the role of Secret Agent 007 already?

Are the rumours true? or is it ANOTHER post to kick Lucas?

Personally, it seems fake

Well see it from the good side, they can reshoot totally the Vader duel in ANH...

Luke, believing Lucas will never remove Guiness.

i don't believe it either. i think this hatred of Lucas is being taken a little too far. some people on this board think he is bastardizing the old trilogy in every way, but when it comes down to it, they are only minor adjustments. he's not changing them completely, just tinkereing with them. all my life, i watched the originals, and have loved every minute of all of them. and believe it or not, i kinda like the special editions also. the only changes made to star wars are the added scene with jabba and han and a more extended look at mos eisley. other than that and a few small tinkerings, it's the same movie. why does it drive people insane that he is doing this?

and about all this star wars controversy, i'm with strilo. i love star wars, all of them. i think that the problems and flaws that people so ruthlessly point out in these recent ones were flaws of ALL of the films, even the old ones. people who keep scrutinizing in that way are missing the point. they don't enjoy the new films because they don't want to. their mind is made up about them. because of the old trilogy, everyone thinks they know the territory. why cant people just sit back and enjoy them. i think they are well told stories that are all visually amazing. i've gone into all of them open-minded and enjoyed each one of them to the fullest.

If it weren't for the Vader-Luke duel,the bike chase,and the spectacurlely shot space battle,ROTJ would be a terinble movie.The sail barge assault,The Ewoks,The Rancor,Luke's visit to Yoda and that casual chat with Obi Wan's ghoest all,All whatever is happening on Endor,The finale,all that sucks.Even C3P0 sucks in Jedi(did they REALLY need him on endor in his great golden Camouflage)

I"m betting that he will even re-do the CGI shots made in 1997 that don't look too good(Jabba,the Storm troopre getting off a dew back

K.M.Who has problem with the EDIT function,parts of my messages disappear

Well, in the first place, tpigeon, I would hardly consider any such adjustments to be "minor," and that you would reveals what an astounding fanboy you really are. Lucas deserves most of the shit he gets. HOWEVER, be that as it may, this is the biggest crock of cockamamy crap I have heard since Orson Welles unleashed the Martians on Grover's Mill, New Jersey. LOL As if the Guinness estate would have any leverage at all to negotiate! The film is the film. Sir Alec has played his part. His family would receive royalties, perhaps, but such things would have been negotiated long ago when the original contracts were signed or would be in accordance with whatever guidelines were hammered out by the unions. If Lucas decided so replace Guinness, it would be for other reasons than any unreasonable demands being made by his heirs. :sigh:

Some people are so gullible.

all my life, i watched the originals, and have loved every minute of all of them. and believe it or not, i kinda like the special editions also.

Loving and "kinda liking" are obviously 2 very different emotional responses.

I love Star Wars. The first film. None of this "Episode IV" "A New Hope" Special Edition nonsense. Just give me plain, regular, 1970's cutting edge technology. I don't want a re-thought version of a completeed film that changed the way movies are made. What Lucas re-issued in 1997 was weaker than what we already had. What's the point? So that the quality between that film and it's sequels was less? No thank you. I have higher standards than that. I'll continue to live in the past, loving the original Star Wars and hating what it has become.

Neil

Another thing to add:  since there are so many disenchanted fans, Lucas should also replace THEM with CGI fans.

:sigh:

I have become... obsolete.

Great idea, AHerrera! Synthetic fans for synthetic entertainment. :fouetaa:

For Empire and Jedi,the effects are perfect(except the old Cloud City matte painting,and the Super Star destroyer crashing on Death Star 2).

But to be honest I was wondering if Lucas was going to replace some effects in Star Wars ANH a long time before Lucas made the S.E.'s(some shots of the Death Star surface are horrible,some Star Destroyer views,as well as a few of the T.I.E fighter shots in the final battlle,Vader's T.I.E. is way too small compared to the other T.I.E.'s,bent wings or not,it's true since I saw the actual models.)

Personally,I'm not sentimental about these thongs,the X-Wing squadron approaching the death Star in the S.E. is an awsome shot(and it's not pure cg,since the original models were scanned).

K.M.

K.M.

well i wish i had the boldness of some of you. i sometimes wonder whether some people are even capable of sharing their views without sounding like their objectified. i say one thing and people go crazy telling me what an idiot i am.

i wasn't talking about Alec Guiness, Figo. if this story of his replacement is true, then i'm on your side. but i think it's a load of crap. i was talking about Lucas and Star Wars in general.

I completely agree with you tpigeon. But I feel sorry for those who have sticks so far up their asses they have to degrade everything for those who enjoy it. And the only "fanboys" around here are the ones who bitch all the time about the names of the episodes and the tinkering with the old trilogy. Who cares? I'd rather accept things as they come and realize there are more important things to get worked up about than Star Wars.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm sorry, but the lucas bashing is gettimg really ridiculous in this thread.

Do you honesttly believe those news are true?

And it's beyond my mind what is there to hate about the special edition. I still wonder in amazement why people considerer Greedo shooting first such a scandal. It's really beyond me. Lucas only added small things that made some of the locations more visually apealing and added some scenes that are, IMHO, welcomed.

Well, I guess some can never be pleased.

George Lucas has given so much to so many of you on this board..I just don't get where all this hate is coming from. If he did movies you didn't like, fine, just bear in mind he did movies you did like. It's like hating spielberg for A.I and forget about E.T, Jaws and Close Encounters.

Just to add some persepective: For those of you who love the originals, they will always still be around. It's not like they are going to vanish from existence.

I completely agree with you tpigeon.  But I feel sorry for those who have sticks so far up their asses they have to degrade everything for those who enjoy it.  And the only "fanboys" around here are the ones who bitch all the time about the names of the episodes and the tinkering with the old trilogy.  Who cares?  I'd rather accept things as they come and realize there are more important things to get worked up about than Star Wars.

Ray Barnsbury

:sigh:

LOL

Like swatting a nest of hornets...

Just to add some persepective: For those of you who love the originals, they will always still be around. It's not like they are going to vanish from existence.

What are you talking about? They're already gone. :cry:

Figo, who learned the term "fanboy" from shit-Star Wars advocate Strilo.

What the h*** is this?

Should they replace not one but TWO great actors from the original film.

One thing I`m now sure about - I will stay to the original trilogy until the end of our planet!

As of right now, Lucas has said many many many times that the original versions have been totally replaced by the "Special Editions". Fortunately, I have several laserdiscs of the original un-basterdized version of Star Wars, but what should I do if my LD player breaks?

Neil

I dunno Neil, maybe you get lucky and find one on ebay. I'm still hanging on to my Laserdisc player as well and I have the originals as well. But my player is starting to act a little funny and I'm waiting for it to go anyday. :cry:

But seriously guys/gals, Joe is feeding you good one. :sigh:

I still have the Original Trilogy on VHS, and intend to keep it. But I like the Special Edition more  :sigh:  

I do too,lots of of the locales look better and lots of matt lines were removed.The battle of Hoth looks a lot cleaner,and the few effects added to the battle of Yavin helped.They also restored the colors of the prints,the lights from ship reactors look better...ect..

K.M.Who couldn't care less if they made Greedo shoot first or have Luke scream when he fell in cloud city.

-Chris

I was one of the ones who fell into Joe's trap. It didn't seem too far-fetched. I nfact, people were discussing that very thing back when Ewan McGregor was cast in Ep. 1...they wanted continuity.

Now that I see this with fresh eyes, I'd like to replace my bawling with LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.

:mrgreen: Poor Hector's still not in on the joke.

Doesn't change the fact that Lucas is a poodoo head , though. LOL

Actually, I remember at the time the prequels were being discussed (sometime over the last two decades :roll:), one of the possibilities that Lucas had mentioned -- although I think hardly anyone took him seriously at the time -- was sampling Guinness from some of his earlier films and digitally inserting a "younger" him into the prequels.

It sounded like science fiction at the time. Now Yoda is floating around in a bedpan. :dontgetit:

You can't tell me that some of you actually BELIEVE this?

Oh my God...

Okay, at this point, I just have to say, "Step away from the computer."

I don't mind Lucas fixing older shoddy effects,adding scenery scenes,only if it doesn't alter the story,that's what I mean.

K.M.

I personally do not believe this either.

However, if there is a person loathsome enough to do such a thing Lucas is your man.

There is no bottom to this man's barrel. :mrgreen:

Look, there is only one guilty party here and that is me.

George Lucas hasn't done this, isn't planning to do this, and possibly couldn't legally do this.

I just had some fun LOL :)

the only thing Lucas is guilty of is he has a facination with movies technoligical advancements, and there use at the expense of storytelling.

He's not Jeffery Dahmer, Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussain, Hitler, Stalin, or even Ed Wood.

Joe, who figures that everyone would assume it was a :ola:

I don't mind Lucas fixing older shoddy effects,adding scenery scenes,only if it doesn't alter the story,that's what I mean.

K.M.

Me neither, except when he alters scenes, he ruins the music, whch is a crime punishable only by death. Especially when it abrupts the flow of the final 30 minutes of "The Empire Strikes Back."

YES! Agreed, Trumpeteer! Subsequent tinkering has also damaged Williams' scores for Superman and E.T..

Figo, who thinks the last thirty minutes of Empire are bloody brilliant.

Then you are no better then Strilo or Luke.

Stefancos- more of an SW fan them KM, apperently.

That seem sto be tthe same argument "old school" metal people bring on when they say you aren't a "real" Metallica fan if you like their new stuff.

-> :roll:

-Chris