Boom Tzzzzzzzzz

Hector J. Guzman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm not 100% sure what the 'booooom tzzzzzz' is, but I can only imagine it is a bassdrum followed by a cymbal crash, as heard e.g. in the ending of the Hook ouverture?

what do you mean exactly? How to create the sound or how to use the boom tzzzz in your music. For the latter, I suggest you just listen to the last three seconds of Summon the Heroes. IMO Williams makes PERFECT use of the cymbals (a deux) by let them play solo, just before the last four notes. A friend of mine, also percussionst, had the opportunity to talk with the guy who plays the cymbals at the boston pops. The talked about the recording of Hook and Far and Away and how brilliant 'boom tzzzz'was used in those scores. As a percussionist I know how difficult it is to make a perfect clash with two cymblas. With our band we recorded several CD's and I play cymblas often, but they are never as good as the f.e. Williams on williams recordings.

As you see, I can talk for hours on this subject. Booom tzzzzzz, I love it!

BOOOM Tzzzzzzzzz! jump1

You know what's not used enough?  The Piccolo Trumpet!  I heard it in Hamlet by Patrick Doyle, and it was good, but that's it for new music.

~Conor

I dunno how it even sounds.

Sounds like a Trumpet, just an octave higher, much similar to the Piccolo Flute

Magnus - who knows the orchestra in and out

I dunno how it even sounds.

Sounds like a Trumpet, just an octave higher, much similar to the Piccolo Flute

No, it doesn't sound 'just' like a Trumpet an octave higher at all. It has it's own very distinctive timbre. It sounds like- a Piccolo Trumpet.

Magnus - who knows the orchestra in and out

:roll: I beg to differ.

It's more like  

BOOM Tsshhh!!!

Justin - 8O

Actually I was thinkin' about:

KABOOGGHH ................ ssshHPLAASshhhzzzzzz! LOL

That last one is rather a Tam Tam :)

BTW, one little percussion moment (out of the many in Williams's music) I really enjoy (and have participated in playing some time ago) is in the Star Wars Main Title, after the 4 bars of wild string crescendo (following the quiet piccolo part), Where the Tamtam splashes together with the basses, the timpani has a cool "fill" to play, and then the cymbal clashes together with the rebel fanfare (before the "mars" part :D)

That's such a great moment...

dadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadlda

dadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadldadadlda

SPLASHHHHHH!!!....... badadadadam... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TSHHHHHHHH

:D

-Chris