Spielberg receives Kennedy Center Honors

QMM

Nice little article over at Spielbergfilms.com with some pictures as well

Reports from all over the media today paint a picture of celebration of one of America's premiere popular artist as Steven Spielberg was honored at last night's Kennedy Center celebration in Washington, D.C.

Spielberg collaborators Tom Hanks and Liam Neeson were both present to pay respects to their director, along with decorated WWII veterans and a Holocaust survivor. Spielberg's longtime composer and friend John Williams was also in town to pay tribute to the filmmaker, as was Spielberg's wife Kate Capshaw and mother Leah Adler.

Tom Hanks talked about Spielberg's early days in Hollywood, even before he was a welcome participant in the industry.

"A few decades ago a young man showed up at the gates of the fabled Universal Studios, dressed in a cheap suit and carrying an empty prop of a suitcase, hoping to sneak into one of Hollywood's great temples of magic-making," Hanks said. "He had driven from Long Beach fueled by chutzpah, moxie and his mom's kosher breakfasts.

"He boldly strolled through the front gate of Universal doing his best to look like an employee, granting Scottie the guard a confident wave and then miraculously succeeding in the masquerade. Steve Spielberg, the actor, trespassed onto the lot and had all of Universal Studios as his personal fiefdom. He found a vacant office and pretended it was his. One day he snuck onto the stage where Hitchcock -- Alfred Hitchcock -- was directing 'Torn Curtain,' to see the master of suspense do what he wanted to do himself. It was Hitchcock and Spielberg -- together for the first and only time -- right up until the moment he was thrown off the set."†

Liam Neeson also spoke about his experiences as an actor on the film "Schindler's List." As has been well documented, the film was extremely difficult to make emotionally. Neeson also found working with Spielberg to be particularly exacting.

"[steven Spielberg] was literally telling me how to breathe!" Neeson told the event's attendees. "I thought: Wait a minute, I knew how to breathe. And as a ex-smoker I certainly knew how to smoke. Where was I in all of this? I was being manipulated, used! . . . I shared this concern with a fellow actor after work and my colleague said, 'Well, I reckon a good conductor needs a good soloist.'"

According to various reports, Spielberg was quite affected by the tribute, especially at the words of the WWII veterans, Ms. Firestone, and an a capella performance of "I'll Be Seeing You" by the U.S. Army Chorus.

Spielberg was also proud to be amongst the fellow honorees inducted this year.

“To be included among these people — Smokey [Robinson], Dolly [Parton], Zubin Mehta, Andrew Lloyd Webber — it’s really an honor,” Spielberg told the New York Times. “It’s the closest thing to an American knighthood. We’re all feeling a gentle sword touching our shoulders tonight.”

A recording of the 2006 Kennedy Center Honors will be broadcast on CBS this December 26 at 9 p.m. EST.

It'd be nice if somebody recorded this :D

And this little bit was very funny

Technically (and pardon the geekiness here) Spielberg and Hitchcock met up again, to similar results. After the success of "Jaws," Steven Spielberg, fully ensconced at the studio after years in television and two features, walked onto the production of Hitchcock's final film "Family Plot." Again, as in 1966, Hitchcock had Spielberg ejected from his shoot.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that on TV?
A recording of the 2006 Kennedy Center Honors will be broadcast on CBS this December 26 at 9 p.m. EST.

I even bolded it in the orignal post.

I'd like ask everyone here.

Does anyone have a copy of the John Williams Kennedy Center Tribute?

I'm willing to pay you for a copy.

I'd like ask everyone here.  

Does anyone have a copy of the John Williams Kennedy Center Tribute?  

I'm willing to pay you for a copy.  

I have it, and you don't even have to pay me a thing -- though a trade might be fun to arrange ;)

PM me if you still need this.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else watch this? Unfortunately, I was not at home so I couldn't record it, but I watched and it was very nice. JW spoke eloquently and seemed very pleased to be there. They closed the evening with JW conducting the finale from Candide, "Make our garden grow." Did anyone record it?

Although I should have guessed,since I caught a glimpse of JW in the promo commercial before.

K.M.Confused as to where the post reply button is

I really have to keep an eye out for this, as I seem to be continually forgetful about this program. I know I should watch it, but I don't really think about it until I see this thread. Luckily I have DVR on my cable box and I can just set it to record the next broadcast ^_^ .

Tim

I did record it and it's still on my DVR. :P I need to transfer it to DVD.

I just got a new computer and I think it would be easy to copy DVDs now...if you give me a while I could find around here JW's own Kennedy Center Honors if anyone still needs that and put them on one DVD.

If anybody's interested, we could work out a trade or something.

Let me know by PM.

-Greta

I watched the whole show waiting to see Speilberg's piece because I knew there was no way JW would miss this, as he is Spielberg's longest collaborator.

Seeing him walk out onto the stage was great. Wonderful speaker, as usual, and a treat to see him conduct the orchestra (and steal the thunder from the choral director at the end).

I was fortunate to record it to my DVR. Not sure if it's something I need to keep forever, though.

well,life does not get more boring than the last 2 hours

Are you saying the final two hours of life are the least interesting?

Ray Barnsbury - wondering how KM knows :lol:

Your a cat. You can't attest for anything. In fact, you can't even speak.

So there! :P

Don't you realize what KC is? He is a living reincarnation of some Egyptian Pharoah, who has been studying KM for I don't know how long. We must treat him with the upmost of respect.

:music:

Don't you realize what KC is? He is a living reincarnation of some Egyptian Pharoah, who has been studying KM for I don't know how long. We must treat him with the upmost of respect.
So King Mark is the sole representation of modern-day humanity to this ancient figure from one of the most advanced civilizations in history?

Great.

Ray Barnsbury

That may only be partly true. Every one of Spielberg's films (no matter how dark they are) have a very basic sense of right and wrong, with the only exception (to my knowledge) being Munich.

Rabbit--who is very a much a child