John Debney scores Lair

QMM

Damn, I wish there was someway I could get this score........

You might be surprised by how easy it can be to get video games soundtracks on the internet . . .

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is!Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's a wonderful Christmas score, particularly the enchanting main title tracks
Oh my god, you're kidding! I had no clue, I thought I'd already searched it on Amazon....Thanks Ray Barnsbury!!!!!!!!!! :huh:
From the 30 second sample on iTunes, "Civilization Theme" sounds like "Theme from Schindler's List," sort of.
What?What?What?I'm listening to it right now and it sounds nothing like Schindler's List, although Horner's danger motif slips in at the end.
Then make sure you're listening to the right track.

Damn, I wish there was someway I could get this score........

You might be surprised by how easy it can be to get video games soundtracks on the internet . . .

Indeed. Easier than film scores.

There is!Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's a wonderful Christmas score, particularly the enchanting main title tracks
Oh my god, you're kidding! I had no clue, I thought I'd already searched it on Amazon....Thanks Ray Barnsbury!!!!!!!!!! :)
From the 30 second sample on iTunes, "Civilization Theme" sounds like "Theme from Schindler's List," sort of.
What?What?What?I'm listening to it right now and it sounds nothing like Schindler's List, although Horner's danger motif slips in at the end.

"Civilization Theme" is similar to "Theme from Schindler's List" in that it features a solo violin. There's really nothing in the music suggestive of Schindler's, though.

Oh my god, you're kidding! I had no clue, I thought I'd already searched it on Amazon....Thanks Ray Barnsbury!!!!!!!!!! :)
"Civilization Theme" is similar to "Theme from Schindler's List" in that it features a solo violin. There's really nothing in the music suggestive of Schindler's, though.
It's the mood of the piece, too. I've only heard the 30 second sample, but the mood is just like SL.
One part of the score that I really liked, I was wondering if it was on the soundtrack--it's a male choir, singing the word "bum" or something. I think it's right after Buddy finds out he's a human, and he runs out into the snow.

It's the mood of the piece, too. I've only heard the 30 second sample, but the mood is just like SL.

The mood and tone are NOTHING like Schindler's List. This is whimsical by comparison.

Interesting: John Debney talks about scoring Lair: http://blog.us.playstation.com/?author=4025

thats where i read the score was enough to score 3 movies (6-8 hours)

But i think there was another source.

Yes, here:

click

There is!

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's a wonderful Christmas score, particularly the enchanting main title tracks

One part of the score that I really liked, I was wondering if it was on the soundtrack--it's a male choir, singing the word "bum" or something. I think it's right after Buddy finds out he's a human, and he runs out into the snow.

Hmm, I'm not sure. That would be towards the beginning, right? I don't remember enough about the film, but it could be the track "A Stroll With Buddy." That has male vocals that seem to fit your description.

Ray Barnsbury

There is!

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's a wonderful Christmas score, particularly the enchanting main title tracks

Hmm, I'm not sure. That would be towards the beginning, right? I don't remember enough about the film, but it could be the track "A Stroll With Buddy." That has male vocals that seem to fit your description.

Ray Barnsbury

Okay, thanks!

The track titles described in the promo sound similar to those of the iTunes release.

Speaking of the iTunes release, I carelessly deleted artist information from my downloaded music. Is there any way to restore this information, like by downloading the music again? Obviously, I mean without buying the album again.

Does the promo have any music not on the official Itunes release? I'd really like to know.

i read that there is a promo with 24 tracks, different track names and 30 seconds shorter than the itunes release. But i dont know anymore about it.

According to IMDB this score was recorded and mixed by Simon Rhodes, who also recorded Cutthroat Island. It has that same huge-ness about it, that was completely missing from Debney's other epic score, the Shawn Murphy recorded The Scorpion King.

"Guess what?! I've got a fever! And the only prescription...is more anvil!"

Seriously, though, anvil is cool. At least, when Williams uses it (like, say, in "Bug Tunnel and Death Trap").

OK listened to this complete release for the first time today.

I first heard a suite of this performed in Spain a few months ago, and I thought it sounded pretty damn good....I want to hear more of this....

As usual, I was not wrong.

One of the more annoying things about a lot of film music in the last few years is that the big, brash up-front and center themes seem to have gone out of fashion. Yes there are still thenes, but everything has to be more subtle, or simple or subdued, or hidden in layers of percussion.

Even X-Men 3, lauded by many of it's great use of it's thematic material held back a bit for most of it's running time.

Lair has several, big, even massive and sumptuous themes, the kind you pick up on the first time you hear them and the kind you whistle when leaving the cinema. (even though this is a game score, and no one goes to the cinema anymore...)

Another good thing about Lair is the scale. It's written and recorded as a massive work. Huge bursts of low brass, augmented with lashings of sweeping string work.

I can't remember the last time I heard a newly composed score that was this epic, must have been The Mummy Returns.

The only other Debney score I know that is bigger is Cutthroath Island. Lair matches it, though the orchestrations and particulary the percussion isn not as relentless (Which should please King Mark)

Debney skillfully blend good-oldfashioned hollywood epic music, with more contemporary, rhythmically driven pieces and some more excotic music. After Munich, I thought I was sick to death of the solo-etnic wailing-women-voice, but here it actually sounds good because even when combined with the Ehru, the presence of that huge orchestra prevents it into turning into "world music".

Originality....

I have only a few Debney scores so I cannot properly judge the man's musical voice. Some say he has none and that he's just emulating temp tracks.

Even on my one and a half listen I could fairly easily pick out some material that was either a homage, the result of a temp track or just a rip-off..

Civilisation Theme has no similarity to anything in Schindlers List, save that both contain a solo violin. However the theme did edge towards Horner's lovetheme from Zorro a few times. It's very subtle and I could just be imagining it. It ends however with a few statements from Jamie's Danger motif, which had me laughing out loud. :P

Divener Battle has a rather strong Williams flavor, the trumpet fanfares particulary reminded me of his Prequel work.

Deadman's Basin starts with a nice homage to The Anvil Of Crom. :P He should have called it Deadman's Basil....

Or maybe not...

Firestrorm, from 1:33 onwards the brass & percussion rhytm is classic Hans Zimmer/Media Ventures/Bruckheimer testosterone action stuff, but it's performed by a big orchestra without synth and has the impressive Rohn's Theme playing over it, so it's really fantastic.

Bridge Attack is clearly modeled on Total Recal's action music.

Now all of these facts, and the ones that I obviously have not discovered yet should make me think less of this score, but I don't.

There are 2 kinds of re-use/rip offs. The ones that make you squirm and the ones that make you smile.

John Debney is making me smile with glee!

I just wish I could buy it as a proper cd!

After Munich, I thought I was sick to death of the solo-etnic wailing-women-voice, but here it actually sounds good because even when combined with the Ehru, the presence of that huge orchestra prevents it into turning into "world music"

Munich wailing also has instruments backing it. And its just two treack on a 2-3 hour movie.... there are far worse scores that are based arround wailing to put es example of exasperation...

As i said Diviner battle commences with 'material' from Giacchino's 'Kronos Unveiled from The Incredibles :thumbup:

Elf just arrived...what a great score! It didn't have the music I bought it for, but it had incredibly beautiful music (particularly Buddy and Santa's Flight). Can't wait for Cutthroat Island to arrive, so I can get another taste of Debney.

If anyone cares:

bmps link

LairOSTFront.jpg

LairOSTBack.jpg

There are three back covers with different tracklists:

a) the itunes order

b) Bridge battle and Attack in its correct place

c) Same as B but with Main menu put as End titles

Enjoy :D

I've been listening to this score non-stop, and it has become one of my all-time favorites. And by the way, supposedly you can get the entire score (54 tracks) as a bonus feature after you complete the game. I don't have the game or a PS3, but I was able to download a rip from someone. This still needs a label release though.

There are three back covers with different tracklists:

b) Bridge battle and Attack in its correct place

Could you tell me where the correct place would be for these tracks? It really bothers me that they are after the "Battle for Asylia" track, because that should be the last action track. I want to move them around and put them where they belong. Unfortunately it seems that the cover download link does not work for me at the moment.

I don't see what the big deal with this score is...there are only a few WOW tracks, and the rest of it is just good fantasy music that we've all heard over and over and over.

You make a valid point. However, like Cutthroat Island, Debney has composed some absolutely beautiful music and thrilling action music that is catchy and utilizes the full power of the orchestra. Debney is a master of "sweeping" and "grand," and LAIR is no exception. It's just plain old orchestral grandeur done right. :D

And of course as far as videogame scores go, this one is a masterpiece.

However, like Cutthroat Island

This holds no candle to Cutthroat Island I'm afraid. :D

"Kameo - The Elements of Power" still remains my favorite entry into the orchestral video game fantasy genre.

However, like Cutthroat Island

This holds no candle to Cutthroat Island I'm afraid. :D

I was only comparing it to Cutthroat Island because it was a loud, orchestral Debney score. Once you've written something that great, it's hard (and usually impossible) to top it. Stylistically, Lair is a much more diverse score.

"Kameo - The Elements of Power" still remains my favorite entry into the orchestral video game fantasy genre.

You know, I'm not familiar with that. Who's it by?

:music: - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves