New Star Wars DVDs Cancelled?

robthehand

Is there an official thread on these DVDs already? If so, point me in that direction. ;)

From The Digital Bits...

Well... we've got some new info that may crash your Astro droid's OS. And no, we aren't out punking Padawans with this.

You know that mega-bombad 9-disc Ultimate Star Wars Saga box set that's been in the works for a few years now? The one that was expected to be released later this year to celebrate the 30th Anniversary? Yeah... maybe not so much anymore. We've been hearing from multiple sources now that the folks up at Lucasburg were surprised enough at the lackluster sales of last year's Star Wars Trilogy DVD re-run ("Now with Han shoots first!") that they're afraid they might have gone to the Sarlacc Pit one too many times, so to speak. There's talk apparently that the box set could get delayed a year or two to amp up demand for the films on disc again. Don't know how serious this all is, but that's the word that's blowing in the wind.

I just don't get Team Lucas anymore. They release the same DVDs we all already own last year and try to pull the "Hey, we're doing you all a favor by giving you the special non-anamorphic, zero-effort original versions as a bonus item!" and then they're actually flummoxed when they don't sell. What the REST of us know, is that they didn't sell because they were crap, and because everyone is waiting for the damn box set.

Ugh. I hate being the guy who has to bring you frustrating Star Wars DVD news, but it seems like it happens EVERY damn year. Please don't Force choke the messenger. I'm feeling a bit like Captain Needa these days...

Of course you know, many Bothans died to bring you this information.

I'm not personally bothered by this, and it probably isn't true. :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get Team Lucas anymore. They release the same DVDs we all already own last year and try to pull the "Hey, we're doing you all a favor by giving you the special non-anamorphic, zero-effort original versions as a bonus item!" and then they're actually flummoxed when they don't sell. What the REST of us know, is that they didn't sell because they were crap, and because everyone is waiting for the damn box set.

Exactly my thoughts.

They are really amazing at this news thing. They were the first people to announce that this boxset was coming out, and ALSO they were the first to announce that the announcement was baseless.

So now a rumored release is rumored to be canceled?

Neil

Something like that.

They are really amazing at this news thing. They were the first people to announce that this boxset was coming out, and ALSO they were the first to announce that the announcementwas baseless.

Well, that's The Bits for you... :P

Hehe I can't wait to tell everyone that the Dolby Digital & DTS, Digitally Remastered blah blah blah Original Trilogy (Han shoots first) is the first ever Star Wars dvd I've ever bought.

But later that year my glory will be scuppered by the HD version, then the TRU-HD version, followed by the TRU-HD3D version, then the ImaxTru-HD version. And so on...

So, OK let me get this straight?

The DVD set that was unofficially announced, has now been unofficially announced not to be released on the market...officially...

And because of this Lotman is now called fommes? But is that unofficial or confirmed?