Did the Lion King musical have a soundtrack released afterwards?

m0hawk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, thanks for that.

What's this board's opinion on The Lion King and/or the musical? I'm quite emotionally attached to that movie. Does anyone else feel the same?

I really did like the movie. I saw this when I was in high school.

And I saw the musical just recently in a foreign country.

They used a lot of puppets and dolls to model the animals and stuff.

The intonation of the words was somewhat odd for the musical.

I wondered if it was the same in the English version?

Did they pronouce words differently?

About the movie:

If I'm not mistaken,

JW's son is the singing voice of the adult Simba.

And I really liked his voice and the kid who did little Simba's voice.

I just really liked the vibrato in there.

What's this board's opinion on The Lion King and/or the musical? I'm quite emotionally attached to that movie. Does anyone else feel the same?

I love both.

The additional songs are very good: "The Morning Report" is cool and better than in the corresponding scene added to the movie; "Chow Down" is a fun, rocking song; "The Madness of King Scar" is a very good addition as well; there are also a few songs that were featured on Lebo M's Rhythm of the Pride Lands ("Shadowland", "He Lives in You").

Mancina also did a great job arranging the songs & score; I especially love the instrumental part he developed in the middle of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?".

I would love to see the musical, but there's no way I'will go see it in French (the French version opens next month in Paris); I want the one and only true, English version or nothing.

Incidentally, I did get to see the Beauty and the Beast (with the original cast-- the last night the one of the leads performed, actually-- I don't remember if it was Best or Belle), and it was great.

oblnkng001.gif

"The Madness of King Scar" is a very good addition as well

Not only is it a very funny and incredibly introspective song about Scar's weak psychology - it also features about a dozen references to Shakespeare that don't stick out like a sore thumb ("in ev'ry inch, a king", "there's the rub").

Great movie! We watched it in an American Cinema class I had last year, and though it was a bit disenchanting to discuss some of the deeper interpretations/representations (the hyenas are Nazis, Scar is the gay uncle, etc), most of the class was entertained by it. It was cool to see it again as an adult. I'd love to see the Broadway version too.

Ray Barnsbury

The Broadway show is fantastic. The movie is a masterpiece.

"Circle of Life," the movie version, is one of the best songs written for film. EVER. Especially when paired with the visuals.

Great movie! We watched it in an American Cinema class I had last year, and though it was a bit disenchanting to discuss some of the deeper interpretations/representations (the hyenas are Nazis, Scar is the gay uncle, etc), most of the class was entertained by it.

The gay uncle? My professor had a different point of view, but yours is very interesting. Sadly, my thread garnered barely any response.

Interesting! I can certainly see that, though I take all this interpretation tongue firmly in cheek, as looking for/finding certain meanings or representations in things where there are none is a bit of a pet peeve. But it's definitely fun to think about.

As far as Scar goes, our professor commented that he was sort of "swishy" in the film; the way he moves does border on feminine at times. That connotation, when taken into account with such exchanges as:

Simba: You're weird.

Scar: You have NO idea *smirks*

and Zazu's line "There's one in every family" regarding Scar, can prove to be rather amusing.

Ray Barnsbury

About the musical:

The actor who performed as Scar played him somewhat effeminately.

But then Scar asks Nala to be his mate.

So, I guess not.

By the way, I gave them a standing ovation.

And I was the only one in my group. Dumb fucking group.

I was kinda embarassed to be standing by myself.

But hey, I did what I felt like.

In the movie, I didn't think Scar had effeminate qualities, except for his voice

You could blame Jeremy Irons for that.

I saw the Beauty and the Beast musical too. That was also excellent.

I saw the Beauty and the Beast musical too. That was also excellent

Yes, I saw that locally several years ago. Very good!

In related news, I've been hearing very mixed reviews about Disney's Broadway version of The Little Mermaid. Evidently, the Tarzan musical did poorly, and the current Mary Poppins production isn't doing so well either. So after Lion King and Beauty, Disney seems to be slipping in terms of their Broadway successes. Also, did someone mention a while ago something about Menken adapting Newsies for a musical? I think it might've been magical_me.

Ray Barnsbury

In simba's pride (lion king 2) The teenager son of the bad lioness is Scar's son. -> not gay...

No.

According to english wikipedia, that kid wasn't Scar's biological son even he looked like him.

That kid gets together with Simba's daughter later.

So if he was Scar's son, they would have had an incestous relationship.

That is a no-no for Disney storytelling... :blink:

Also, did someone mention a while ago something about Menken adapting Newsies for a musical? I think it might've been magical_me.

No, it was me, I got it from the mother-of-all-places Menken. Seems like the project has been put on hold, though.

In simba's pride (lion king 2) The teenager son of the bad lioness is Scar's son. -> not gay...

No.

According to english wikipedia, that kid wasn't Scar's biological son even he looked like him.

That kid gets together with Simba's daughter later.

So if he was Scar's son, they would have had an incestous relationship.

That is a no-no for Disney storytelling... :blink:

Not the protagonist, Kovu which has unknow father (changed when they noticed there would be incest)but the other son of Zira, the skinny wicked teenager (when kobu is a cub). Nuka he is called, i think:

Tlkiisp-nuka.png

Ahh, thanks for that.

I'm definitely attached to this Disney movie more than all the others. I loved its music and the Broadway version is excellent too.

The film score is very nice...for a Zimmer product.
It's his absolute best for me.

Same....and what do you mean "for a Zimmer product," Luke? It is a great score, period.

Interesting! I can certainly see that, though I take all this interpretation tongue firmly in cheek, as looking for/finding certain meanings or representations in things where there are none is a bit of a pet peeve. But it's definitely fun to think about.As far as Scar goes, our professor commented that he was sort of "swishy" in the film; the way he moves does border on feminine at times. That connotation, when taken into account with such exchanges as:Simba: You're weird.Scar: You have NO idea *smirks*and Zazu's line "There's one in every family" regarding Scar, can prove to be rather amusing.
:D

Don't forget this controversy:

lion%20king%20sex.jpg

Notice anything written in the cloud of dust? The makers of Lion King say it was meant to say "SFX," but it looks a bit different to me...and notice this is the part where Simba and that lioness are sleeping together....

The film score is very nice...for a Zimmer product.
It's his absolute best for me.

Same....and what do you mean "for a Zimmer product," Luke? It is a great score, period.

It has a lot of synth.

Even more since unused music was more orchestral. Fault of the director i suppose.

The only thing that holds Lion King back as a score is the synths. It could have been something really extraordinary with acoustic music.

Don't forget this controversy:

lion%20king%20sex.jpg

Notice anything written in the cloud of dust? The makers of Lion King say it was meant to say "SFX," but it looks a bit different to me...and notice this is the part where Simba and that lioness are sleeping together....

They're not sleeping together, he's there on the cliff alone. Or did you mean they're sleeping together in general? And yeah, I heard it was SFX too.

Ray Barnsbury

Ahh, thanks for that.

I'll put my 2 cents in. It's "Akuna Macrappa"

I've also heard there was some idea that in Aladin the tiger says "take off your clothes" or something. Anybody know the real rumor?

The Rabbit is right, you can read about it and hear audio samples here.

Ray Barnsbury