10,000 BC

Josh500

Will this be a hit?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. 10,000 BC

• Yes, it sure looks great. Possibly another Independence Day.
    • Nope. Anything Roland Emmerich directs is doomed to fail. This will be no exception.

What do you make of Roland Emmerich's new movie (will open March 2008)??? Click here.

I'm not a Roland Emmerich fan--at all--but I'm excited about this movie because I know the actress who plays the leading role Camilla Belle (at least a little). She had a hit a couple of years ago with When a Stranger Calls, but she's still quite unknown. I hope this will be her big break . . .

Actually, she DID have a huge hit ten years ago when she played the little girl in The Lost World, but she got attacked by the compies like in the first two minutes or so. Hahahah.

I think the trailer of 10,000 BC looks quite impressive (I voted for the first option). What do you think?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Stargate and ID4, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt til proven otherwise. Should be interesting to hear the score though, since the project is clearly one of importance to Harold Kloser, and not just another paycheck score like Alien vs. Predator.

I enjoyed Stargate and ID4, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt til proven otherwise. Should be interesting to hear the score though, since the project is clearly one of importance to Harold Kloser, and not just another paycheck score like Alien vs. Predator.

Isn't Alien vs. Predator one of his most successful scores? It won BFI, didn't it?

I am generally receptive to new composers, but Kloser is one that I am quite uninterested in. I thought his last score for Emmerich was quite bad.

Actually, what I am more interested in is your first impression of the trailer! I thought it looks pretty good. . . . Don't you agree?

(If you knew the director was Peter Jackson and not Roland Emmerich, and saw the trailer, I think you'd be bowled over!)

That's what Josh said.

Trailer says pretty much nothing of what the film's going to be about. I'm going to treat this with a big "meh" for now. Emmerich hasn't really done anything good since Independence Day (which is only enjoyable because of its massive cheese level and David Arnold's score).

Trailer says pretty much nothing of what the film's going to be about. I'm going to treat this with a big "meh" for now. Emmerich hasn't really done anything good since Independence Day (which is only enjoyable because of its massive cheese level and David Arnold's score).

As a member of a primitive tribe during the dawn of man, 21-year-old mammoth hunter D'Leh (Steven Strait) travels through unknown lands on a quest to rescue his people from extinction. D'Leh, leading an army, uncovers a lost civilization in pursuit of a warlord who kidnapped his love, Evolet (Camilla Belle). D'Leh and his army encounters saber-toothed cats, mammoths and other prehistoric creatures in the journey to save his tribe.

This is pretty much all that's known about the plot. . . .

I am generally receptive to new composers, but Kloser is one that I am quite uninterested in. I thought his last score for Emmerich was quite bad.
Overall it wasn't a very interesting score, but the 'flooding' scene was actually cleverly scored, with only those deep drums hits. Maybe Kloser couldn't think of something more sophisticated, maybe simplistic, but effective nonetheless. IMO.

It could be good movie if it is realistic (no anachronisms, authentic production design), has a good story and if it is not heavily built on the SFX. If it going to be an action movie set in the stone age, it could well be one of those movies that could only be saved by a superb score (like TLW was saved by JW's score).

The trailer looks great and I am sure the visuals will be spectacular, as always with this director. On the other hans, I don't expect the script to be good, nor Kloser to be better screen writer than composer. Emmerich seems to have lost the sense of balance beetween cheese and true emotins which made his first two blockbusters so entertaining. I watched ID4 some days ago and - despite the horrendous plot holes of a mothership size - it still makes you care about the characters. His recent movies had great visuals, but the only thing I cared about in them was the score ("Patriot") and f/x ("Day After Tomorrow")

The man is a hack, albeit one with a massive budget for each film. I've been underwhelmed with every film he's made. I'm not in any way excited about his future projects.

Now the next film by Terry Gilliam looks like it's going to be spectacular!

The only movie I saw by him is Independence Day, and I hated it. I actually never got through the whole thing, although I tried to three times.

And putting aside that this is by that director, the movie looks pretty dumb just from the trailer. So I think it will suck.

The only movie I saw by him is Independence Day, and I hated it. I actually never got through the whole thing, although I tried to three times.

And putting aside that this is by that director, the movie looks pretty dumb just from the trailer. So I think it will suck.

You never saw The Patriot??? Shame on you!

If the worst comes to the worst, at least the film will look cool. Now if we're lucky, we might get a somewhat decent story as well. Perhaps even the score would be good. You never know. It seems like the kind of movie that *could* be enjoyable. In theory. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

If the worst comes to the worst, at least the film will look cool. Now if we're lucky, we might get a somewhat decent story as well. Perhaps even the score would be good. You never know. It seems like the kind of movie that *could* be enjoyable. In theory. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

That's an admirable attitude! :D

10,000 BC is an even more retarded version of Apocalypto. A guy running through the woods for 2 hours running into a bunch of animals along the way. Only thing is that Apocalypto was realistic in some way and had some style to it, making it watchable, this steaming pile has mammoths and sabor-tooth tigers, may as well call it a live action version of Ice Age.

Oh, and since when can composers become writers? Especially horrible composers.

I don't know. I think you guys (with a few exceptions) are being too harsh with a movie that's not even finished making. True, Roland Emmerich's past work mostly suck, but that doesn't necessarily mean his next will be in the same vein.

I think we should be a little more open-minded and give a movie the benefit of the doubt . . . at least, until we sit in the movie theater and watch the first half hour or so.

10,000 BC is an even more retarded version of Apocalypto. A guy running through the woods for 2 hours running into a bunch of animals along the way. Only thing is that Apocalypto was realistic in some way and had some style to it, making it watchable, this steaming pile has mammoths and sabor-tooth tigers, may as well call it a live action version of Ice Age.

First of all, both the Saber-tooth cat (not tiger, which is a commonly made mistake) and the Mammoth were still present on Earth in 10.000 BC. Therefore if they are present in this film it would not be unrealistic.

Secondly, you are talking like you've already seen this film.

I never said they didn't exist. I'm talking about realism, the special effects look terrible. And having a bad composer write an epic-scale film with a director like Roland Emmerich, I think I can pretty much say the movie will be bad.

I never said they didn't exist. I'm talking about realism, the special effects look terrible. And having a bad composer write an epic-scale film with a director like Roland Emmerich, I think I can pretty much say the movie will be bad.

You're so much prejudiced against this movie, you sound like it pains you to even talk about it.

P.S. In the trailer, the visuals don't look terrible. In fact, Roland Emmerich's movies contain some pretty outstanding special effects. It's the plot itself that mostly sucks. And his German accent, of course.

I won't see the film, and I'm not bitching, I'm sharing my opinion, which you enormously don't agree with, which is fine with me.

I do not like Roland Emmerich, the only movie of his which I did like was The Patriot. His scripts are terrible, the acting is usually bad, music, special effects are not that great.

I think this movie will be a box-office success. The critics and audience will probably say later that it was God-awful, but people will go and see it.

Just like The Day After Tomorrow, which grossed an impressive $540 mill. worldwide, despite terrible reviews.

It's the same way with most big budget Summer action movies.

Yeah, except when the director is called Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Peter Jackson (although his movies always open in the winter).

I think this movie will be a box-office success. The critics and audience will probably say later that it was God-awful, but people will go and see it.

Just like The Day After Tomorrow, which grossed an impressive $540 mill. worldwide, despite terrible reviews.

The Day After Tomorrow performed much, much better internationally than it did domestically for some odd reason.

The Day After Tomorrow performed much, much better internationally than it did domestically for some odd reason.

Part of the reason is that people outside the US were much more aware and concerned about global warming issues. At least then.

Maybe other countries liked seeing the U.S. be destroyed.

Then Independence Day should have made a trillion dollars.

Nope, when Independence Day was released Bush wasn't president yet. Maybe if the movie was released now, it would.

Hope this comment won't be erased . . . I made a political statement! :D

Part of the reason is that people outside the US were much more aware and concerned about global warming issues. At least then.

Yeah, we should blow up the sun for starting all this global warming mumbo-jumbo.

Nope, when Independence Day was released Bush wasn't president yet. Maybe if the movie was released now, it would.

Hope this comment won't be erased . . . I made a political statement! :D

Blah, the US has been disliked since Vietnam.

Yeah, we should blow up the sun for starting all this global warming mumbo-jumbo.

Anyway, how did we get from saber-toothed tigers to global warming?