When DVD covers give away major spoilers

pixie_twinkle

I absolutely LOVE the new three-disk DVD os Close Encounters. I just watched the original theatrical version for the first time since 1977! It is the best version by FAR. None of the jarring music edits, no scenes that seemed like they were obviously inserted.

HOWEVER! The DVD cover depicts the mother ship rising up from behind Devil's Tower. It's the most jaw-dropping moment of the film, and it's been completely ruined by being shown on the bloody cover! The Blu Ray cover is far superior in that it just has the original poster image of the road with light at the end. Why on earth didn't they use that cover for the DVD edition too???

Other stupid DVD covers I've noticed are the Planet of the Apes (original) which had the ruins of the Statue of Liberty on the cover!

Also the VHS version of Hitchcock's "Frenzy" which showed the necktie killer holding the tie! This ruins the twist in the film, because for the first 4/5ths of the film you are led to believe it's someone else!

Does anyone know of any other stupif DVD covers that give away major spoilers?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This edition is for collectors. Speaking as one, I think 30 years is enough time to lose spoiler warning. The spaceship is awe inspiring on it's own, not as a surprise. It's a great image, a great cover.

That Planet of the Apes one is seriously stupid.

The French Connection's poster shows Popeye shooting the hit man, which kind of spoiled the impact of the big chase scene the first time I saw it, knowing exactly what was going to happen at the end of it.

Not quite the same, but the DVD of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy revealed who the spy is in the chapter insert. :rolleyes:

Other stupid DVD covers I've noticed are the Planet of the Apes (original) which had the ruins of the Statue of Liberty on the cover!

That's easily the worst. And it's not like they did it only once - every bloody release of that movie has the same spoiler on the cover!

Not quite the same, but the DVD of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy revealed who the spy is in the chapter insert. :rolleyes:

I stopped checking out chapter listings after reading

"16. Appollonia's Murder"

when I was only an hour into watching The Godfather.

Why on earth would you want to read the chapter names before seeing a movie? Either way, they're gonna spoil some thing. Except for David Lynch chapters, of course.

It's not a DVD, but I was really upset when I bought and listened to TPM soundtrack before seeing the film. I turned the case over to read the track titles and saw "Track 15. Qui-Gon's Noble End." !!!!!!!!! So then I quit buying soundtracks before I could see the film. I suppose some spoilers are to be expected in track titles, but I was thinking more along the lines of "The Podrace" or "The Duel" or something more generic.

This isn't really for DVD, but I've come to learn that movie trailers contain the ending of the film more often than you would think. And a lot of times I can kinda pick it out. Knowing that Wes Anderson likes to have slow-mo conclusions, I felt like The Darjeeling Limited was ruined for me because of the trailer. Although I was pleasantly surprised that that was not the case.

Also, I stopped watching special features on a DVD, of a movie I haven't seen, before watching the movie. In a making of, or a featurette, a lot of the movie is spoiled if you haven't seen it.

Why on earth would you want to read the chapter names before seeing a movie? Either way, they're gonna spoil some thing. Except for David Lynch chapters, of course.

How on Earth can you spoil a David Lynch movie? If anything, you explain it.

This was back when I was still endlessly fascinated with the product DVD and the existence of chapter indexes!

I learned the hard way.

Also, I stopped watching special features on a DVD, of a movie I haven't seen, before watching the movie. In a making of, or a featurette, a lot of the movie is spoiled if you haven't seen it.

That should be obvious. If they should be watched first, they would have all been on disc 1 at the top of the menu. :rolleyes:

Also, don't ever watch an episode commentary on a TV show if you haven't seen the full season yet.

This edition is for collectors. Speaking as one, I think 30 years is enough time to lose spoiler warning. The spaceship is awe inspiring on it's own, not as a surprise. It's a great image,.

It is a great image. I guess I just feel that it lessens the impact of that scene when the image is made too familiar. That scene has always given me real goodebumps. Now it's slapped rather thoughtlessly on the front of the package. A far better image for the cover would have been the night road, heading towards the light.

So, since I haven't seen Close Encounters, should I get someone else to take out the DVD for me? I'm already kinda ticked off at myself and at Sony now that I watched the trailer for the new set that was on the Spider-Man 3 DVD. I was expecting to see a little less of what I'm sure is the last portion of the movie than I would have liked.

I would if I were you. If you've honestly never seen this film before you owe it to yourself to see it fresh and new without having seen the cover image. I have no idea how you're going to avoid seeing the cover image though...

This was back when I was still endlessly fascinated with the product DVD and the existence of chapter indexes!

I learned the hard way.

Yep. Same here. :)

And the one I'm talking about wasn't exactly an insert - it was printed on the inside cover, exactly behind where you took the disc out (it was a transparent case). Dead easy to glance at by accident.

This edition is for collectors. Speaking as one, I think 30 years is enough time to lose spoiler warning. The spaceship is awe inspiring on it's own, not as a surprise. It's a great image, a great cover.

So anyone who wasn't old enough to see a movie wihin this timespan ought to be spoiled the pleasure of discovery, and have the huge surprise ruined?

<_<

The same kind of thing happens with critics who, rather than discuss intelligently the movie, tell the whole plot and give away the whole story and every single surprise, supposedly to tell people why they should (not) see the movie, when the only reason is really that they like to brag-- "hey, I've seen the whole movie at a premiere one month before everyone else, because I'm a critic / reporter, I'm a big shot, and I'll prove you small fry by telling you the whole thing".

I hate when they do that, and always change channels or radio stations or just leave the room when they start speaking of movies.

So anyone who wasn't old enough to see a movie wihin this timespan ought to be spoiled the pleasure of discovery, and have the huge surprise ruined?

It's not a huge surprise. Most people who want to see the movie will know what it's about. And, at a certain point (and 30 years is fine for that), a film can be marketed for collectors. No problem whatsoever with that.

I absolutely LOVE the new three-disk DVD os Close Encounters. I just watched the original theatrical version for the first time since 1977! It is the best version by FAR. None of the jarring music edits, no scenes that seemed like they were obviously inserted.

HOWEVER! The DVD cover depicts the mother ship rising up from behind Devil's Tower. It's the most jaw-dropping moment of the film, and it's been completely ruined by being shown on the bloody cover! The Blu Ray cover is far superior in that it just has the original poster image of the road with light at the end. Why on earth didn't they use that cover for the DVD edition too???

I really didnt understood you post, since i thought these were the covers:

ce3kbdopen.jpg

Now i looked in to the actual one, and yes it sucks both spoiler-wise and art-wise.

It's not a DVD, but I was really upset when I bought and listened to TPM soundtrack before seeing the film. I turned the case over to read the track titles and saw "Track 15. Qui-Gon's Noble End." !!!!!!!!! So then I quit buying soundtracks before I could see the film.

Another perfect argument for doing so.