The Ghost and the Darkness

tpigeon

It seems sometimes that many of Jerry Goldsmith's scores from 90's action films have drifted into relative obscurity. His heyday is typically considered to have been sometime between the 1970 and 1990, which is probably true. But he did some great work in the 90's, and much of it is comfortably labeled as standard Goldsmithian action material. But there are some real treasures buried in his 90's oveure, one of which is The Ghost and the Darkness. I love how he melds tribal melodies with strong brass chords, and most especially, I love the subtle electronic passages. On the whole, I'd say this score is every bit as atmospheric as his finest work, hitting on his best points without ever embodying those tired musical cliches that are so often spoken of when it comes to his 90's work, yet seldom found by me. Thoughts?

Ted

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's much better than Congo, which had a similar movie theme (Africa).

The main title is catchy, however I don't like the processed native chants whenever the main theme is played. In the film they sound much more natural. I also wish they would have dumped all those traditional chants at the end and added more score, like the opening credits.

The hilight of the album is "Lions Attack".

Overall it's a worthy score to have in one's library.

It would have been interesting to see him score this film in the early 80's or 70's.

I love this one...

And Congo is way underrated. Yes the album packaging is crap, but let's face it, Congo got repackaged into "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" and suddenly became a great score.

Ah, yes. "Congo" is a good adventure score. It's a wee bit short, and somewhat repetitive, but the main theme is great stuff. I think it's one of Goldsmith's most underappreciated works, to be honest. At least "The Ghost and the Darkness" gets some love. "Congo," like the needlessly maligned movie, doesn't ever catch a break.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still immensely pissed that the cue from near the beginning of the movie when Patterson gets off the train and it cuts to a great helicopter shot of the camp, is not on the soundtrack.

I love the Ghost and The Darkness (that horn passage in the main theme is outstanding), but the score is almost imposible to find at reasonable prices these days.

I don't remember the score, I just remember it as my first real experience with the over reliance on bad CGI,

others used to talk about this score alot more on this site. It was extremely popular ONCE

I don't remember the score, I just remember it as my first real experience with the over reliance on bad CGI,

Are you sure you're thinking of the same movie? I don't remember that much CGI at all and the ones that were in there were far outweighed by the real and animatronic lions.

Are you sure you're thinking of the same movie? I don't remember that much CGI at all and the ones that were in there were far outweighed by the real and animatronic lions.

Indeed, I think Joe is confusing cgi with composite, which wasn't all that bad as far as I'm concerned.

I love this score!

It stands quite apart from the others, whether of this period or any other, in that it has a very unique voice in its suspenseful cues.

Indeed, I think Joe is confusing cgi with composite, which wasn't all that bad as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, there was plently of CGI used for the lions and it looked particularly bad.

I'd agree with that. But the movie is nonetheless a kind of fun B-movie romp, similar to Congo, except not as good.

Ted

Actually the life size lion animatronic puppets were the ones that looked the fakest to me.

With Congo I felt like the scenes with Tim Curry should have been cut/ not filmed yet more story line needed to be added for the rest.

it was the jumping CGI ones that didn't do it for me

I liked JG's scores for both ok, but not enough to want them