New FSM! Heavy Metal, the Score!

Ollie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of this score talked about on the boards before

That's not suprising but it is a "Holy Grail" for many and it's by one of the great composers (Elmer Bernstein).

Judging by the reputation of this film and the sample clips at FSM, this score deserves a much better, much classier film than it was composed for.

It's a cartoon based on the Heavy Metal magazine, what did ya expect?

Actually the film is quite amusing, it won't go down as the greatest cartoon but it's still worth a view every now and then.

Unless you are offended by sexual and adult jokes.

I'm just saying the score sounds too noble for the subject matter. Of course, Bernstein was probably trying to elevate the film (like how he made the score for The Magnificent Seven a faster, upbeat score to temper the length and pacing of the film).

I guess you could say I'm offended by that stuff, in a sense, although it's more like a "Dude, are you kidding me?" offense, as opposed to, "*gasp* Well, I never!" ;) I find it unnecessary, and irksome when a score is really good, but then has the connotation with a film like that.

Well there is a whole history of great scores for crappy films. In fact I would say most scores, when listened to away from the film, convey a sense of something better.

Very true. I find good music idealistic in that way, at least partly resulting in that irritation.

As it is, the score is not something I had known of, and I'm trying to watch my score output, especially with college coming up this fall (although a full-tuition scholarship does help!). So all things considered, I'm gonna be passing on this one, at least for now. I do recognize that this was a long hoped-for release, though. Does the fact that there was cooperation with Sony Pictures indicate any opening of relations with them? It would be great to see a complete Hook release by FSM, if that is indeed the case. I think they'd do a great job with it.

Actually the film is quite amusing, it won't go down as the greatest cartoon but it's still worth a view every now and then.

In retrospect, I was introduced to it way earlier than I should have been. ;)

Incidentally, I had just been playing Heavy Metal FAKK2...a rather underrated game IMO, this past weekend, so it sorta comes as a weird coincidence. ;)

In retrospect, I was introduced to it way earlier than I should have been. ;)

Incidentally, I had just been playing Heavy Metal FAKK2...a rather underrated game IMO, this past weekend, so it sorta comes as a weird coincidence. :)

Thanks to my dad's silly notion that hiding magazines in the bathroom linen closet would keep them out of my eyesight, I was introduced to the magazine "Heavy Metal" at a young age.

Not to mention several other subscriptions... :)

:)

That emoticon just made your post extremely hilarious, Mark.

As for Heavy Metal, I don't know anything about it, have never seen the film, nor have ever heard the score. But it's by Bernstein, so it must be decent.

It's good but I personally wouldn't go that far.

The Magnificent 7 might be a better score to compare to Star Wars.

Funny you say that. I was reading comments on IMDB (risky, I know) and someone was comparing Calvera's theme to The Imperial March.

Can't say as I really hear the similarity there, but then it is the IMDB.

I feel like i should be excited for this. However i've never heard a Bernstein score. Maybe i should start with this.

Although I do not yet own any Bernstein, I know the first albums I will purchase will be To Kill a Mockingbird and The Magnificent Seven, both terrific scores.

You can't have enough Elmer in your system at times. Personally I found him rather tough and chewy.

You can't go wrong with either of those two fantastic scores.

Two fo the greatest scores ever. Unfortunately, the sound quality on the Varese CD of The Magnificent Seven is too off-putting for me.

It's in mono, I have the Ryko version that was released before Varese got the rights and it sounds fine to me.

I also managed to grab the RCA re-recording of the score done by Bernstein in 1999 before it was pulled due to legal issues from what I understand. There was also a re-recording of The Great Escape original album done at the same time that was also pulled.

I'm generally fine with mono, but in the cases of that score, I just feel like I'm missing so much of it because of the quality.