Which upcoming film will make the most money?

diskobolus

Which upcoming film will make the most money?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    • The Matrix Reloaded

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Harry Potter." It's a film kids can see; those films always make the most (adults and kids buy tickets). Examples: the "Star Wars" films, the Disney animated films. They always top the box office at year's end.

Harry won the first round; it'll win the second and third.

I think that HP is sort of a universal thing with a bigger following than LoTR. Probably just that those people who like HP are very outspoken about it.

LoTR probably would rather be left alone.

really Matrix has no place in this poll since both Chamber of Secrets and Two Towers are to be release in the next 2 months, Matrix Reloaded comes out next summer.

Summer films always have the advantage.

So I will choose between the two winter films. I want to see COS, but I don't care to see TT. I am sure when it hits the $theatre I will, but not until then.

Still I would say given the critical response last year I would say TT will have the financial edge in the end.

I think that HP is sort of a universal thing with a bigger following than LoTR.

Whoa. LOTR has been around for some 50 years, I seriously doubt Potter is as big as that yet. It's newer though, and not finished yet, so it has a bonus. And smaller kids can watch those movies as well.

The first Potter movie made more money than FOTR. It seems to me that a bit more people were disappointed in HP than in FOTR, but I do expect enough people to have enjoyed it to make Chamber of Secrets beat TTT at the box office.

Marian - who will watch both, and probably love both, though very likely TTT more. :sigh:

I think that HP is sort of a universal thing with a bigger following than LoTR.

Whoa. LOTR has been around for some 50 years, I seriously doubt Potter is as big as that yet. It's newer though, and not finished yet, so it has a bonus. And smaller kids can watch those movies as well.

The first Potter movie made more money than FOTR. It seems to me that a bit more people were disappointed in HP than in FOTR, but I do expect enough people to have enjoyed it to make Chamber of Secrets beat TTT at the box office.

Marian - who will watch both, and probably love both, though very likely TTT more. :ola:

I'm not saying that LoTR doesn't have a big following.

To tell you the truth, I was more excited about LoTR when I heard it was being made than about HP. But then I read HP and it was all over.

I think HP is bigger than most people think.

I mean could you really say Frodo Baggins and have millions of people know who that is? Maybe so,

But I bet more would know about HP.

Just a thought. :sigh:

I think that HP is sort of a universal thing

:sigh:

I think it will be first Harry Potter, but TTT will follow it very closely.

I agree with you about the fact that when kids go to see HP, they go with their parents => more money.

But I've read that children pay only the half of the ticket price. Is it true?

scissorhands - who will see TTT and Matrix Reloaded + Revolutions

I think HP is bigger than most people think.

I actually just read that already more Potter books have been sold than LOTR books over the last 50 years. :sigh:

I mean could you really say Frodo Baggins and have millions of people know who that is?  Maybe so,

Perhaps not. But Frodo is no title character, while Harry is. I'm 100% sure that more people can tell you who Gandalf is than Dumbledore. :ola:

Marian - who is also looking forward to the Matrix sequels.

well, at least i'm not TOO far off my rocker on the case of HP books/LoTR books

And I definitely have to agree about the Gandalf/Dumbledore thing

BUT if you took a census for HP and Gandalf, I bet HP would win. :sigh:

really Matrix has no place in this poll since both Chamber of Secrets and Two Towers are to be release in the next 2 months, Matrix Reloaded comes out next summer.

it comes out in may, actually... do you really have to be so criticizing? i put it up there because all three are highly anticipated sequels.

The poll question is a bit vague..

As far as how much money each film will make overall, including all the merchandising, it will be COS, followed closely by TTT.

Harry Potter is for ding-dongs, Lord of the Rings is for the smarter.

As far as box office, The Matrix 2 will be a huge grosser, and an incredibly cool film, but it won't surpass the other two for earnings.

i think the Two Towers will. Harry Potter was already an amazingly popular book series and a movie was made out of it in its prime in terms of popularity. Tolkien wrote the LOTR books a long time and though they are very famous, i didn't compare to Potter at the time of release.

that being said, Lord of the Rings STILL almost outgrossed HP at the box office. HP had that record breaking weekend, and like most films do, it began to fade. LOTR came from a much smaller recognition level, hence the good but not great opening weekend, and its box office numbers actually increased. when the numbers increase like that, which is very rare, (like My Big Fat Greek Wedding) it has solely to do with word of mouth and that a lot of people liked it and told their friends to see it and so on and so forth.

to me, this says a lot of things. now both of these are huge in the world of books and literature. but it is my belief that last year, LOTR was nowhere near as big as HP was. HP books sold like crazy! it's like the Beatles or something, which i have no problem with.

in the end, LOTR and HP were close when it came to total gross. and since LOTR had less going for it in terms of name recognition and the size of the fanbase; and i think that says something about LOTR.

it says to me that Lord of the Rings is here to stay, and that the Two Towers is gonna soar at the box office. don't get me wrong, Harry Potter will do amazingly as well. but i think that LOTR's numbers are gonna skyrocket.

Ted, who thinks that the Matrix sequel is going to be huge as well... much bigger than a lot of people here have been saying.

LOTR because I think it will be the most diserving to make a lot of money. :)

But argh, it won't. :) Too many people know easier to read :roll: Potter.

I bet the box office takes for the Harry Potter flicks are going to decrease BIG TIME. People are just gonna start losing interest.

I'm sure The Two Towers will be the box office king.

It's going to be close, and last year people were more wowed by FOTR but I think in the end Harry Potter will still edge it out. I loved both films so I just hope they do equally well.

On another note.... I never realized how many people on this board don't like each other......... I think I'm Switzerland here :)

Harry potter will probably outgross TTT.

HP has sold more books in 8 years than LOTR in 50.

FOTR did not beat HP even though it had enormous critical praise and was an adaptation of a book that had waited a very long time to reach Hollywood.

As to the Gandalf/Dumbledore paralels, it is just ridiculous. Tolkien did not create bearded wizards. Just think about merlin. It's not like Tolkien created wizards, elves or orks.

Harry potter will probably outgross TTT.  

HP has sold more books in 8 years than LOTR in 50.

I wonder how they count it though. LOTR is one book, of the Potters we have 6 so far (counting the two Comic Relief mini books).

As to the Gandalf/Dumbledore paralels, it is just ridiculous. Tolkien did not create bearded wizards. Just think about merlin. It's not like Tolkien created wizards, elves or orks.

I didn't mean to say that Tolkien created bearded wizards. He did make the word "orc" well-known though, which he discovered in some ancient English writings. And he did invent Elves - before Tolkien, were small fairies.

it comes out in may, actually... do you really have to be so criticizing? i put it up there because all three are highly anticipated sequels.

sorry if you feel its too critical for you, but it still doesn't belong with the 1st two, and May is next summer as far as movie business goes. It is the primo time period. Its an unfair advantage for Matrix. I am not trying to be critical of you, just point out that HP and TT are Apples, and that the Matrix is an Orange.

But the real truth here is how each film is initially received. If any one of these three films has too many harsh reviews it will affect the boxoffice.

Oh and Marian, elf dates back over 900 years from Middle English, rooted in danish. Tolkien, didn't create it, though he may have popularized it.

in the end i guess i really don't care who wins because I will definitely see both.

and I DO NOT consider myself a "ding dong" because I like HP.

Harry Potter.

LOTR: TTT will not make nearly as much as the original I feel. I believe it will do 200 million.

However, I feel the new HP movie could make practically as much as the first. Pushing its way to 300 million. I feel this series will have more longevity in the minds of movie-goers.

in the end i guess i really don't care who wins because I will definitely see both.

and I DO NOT consider myself a "ding dong" because I like HP.

Who care what you think Ren, as long as

A.I. thinks your a ding dong, and me, and Ray, and Harry, ...

I don't think anyone should be considered a "ding dong" for liking something. Unless it completely sucks.

Hell, I don't even know what a ding dong is. It could be a good thing. :P

Yeah ok anyway let me bring this back on track .....

I doubt the next Matrix film has a shot since the original made like 178 million which is far less than HP and LOTR made.

Admittedly The Matrix was released a few years before those when ticket prices were a little lower and the fandom surrounding the movie has grown but I still think this film is a long shot.

joe,

did i read your message right? :?  

RL:

a ding dong is a cream filled chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting on it!

No Ren, I wasn't calling you a ding dong, I was say A.I did, and he called the rest of us HP fans ding dongs too. Ding Dongs and I have a few things in common, we're both gooey on the inside, and we both are full of calories.

Oh and Marian, elf dates back over 900 years from Middle English, rooted in danish.  Tolkien, didn't create it, though he may have popularized it.

I didn't mean the word, of course that was well-known long before Tolkien. But weren't elves usually considered to be fairy-like, very different from how Tolkien imagined them? At least that was how people generally thought of them at his time (and he hated it). By the way, he didn't invent the name Gandalf either, he stumbled upon it in some old writings (and several of his other names, too). He did more or less invent the plural "Dwarves" though - the correct plural is "dwarfs". I'm not sure why he used a wrong plural, I seem to imagine reading that Tolkien simply made a mistake but ended up thinking it was a nice way to separate his dwarves from the Disney-type dwarfs (which he loathed), but I can't find that info anywhere in my books now.

Marian - who has never eaten a Ding Dong but would like to.

I doubt the next Matrix film has a shot since the original made like 178 million which is far less than HP and LOTR made.

i think you underestimate its chances. as you should know, how much the original pulled in at the box office means nothing. the Matrix exploded when it came out on video. the box office gross doesn't mean much, in terms of how many people have seen it and liked it. The Matrix has become a phenomenon, it's just a late-bloomer. in my humble opinion, it's going to do amazing numbers.

and i'm still advocating my first thoughts on the subject after much thinking. Lord of the Rings has a MUCH broader audience, and due to the amazing success of FOTR coming from so little recognition compared to Potter, it will gross more than Harry Potter.

as i said earlier, i think COS will do fantastically and will undoubtedly rake in the cash at the box office. but i think LOTR has converted far more fans than Potter has based on the movie, and now is on equal playing ground as Potter. last year, it was way below Potter in terms of popularity and (thanks in part to very good marketing) it still came very close to outgrossing it. now that the two are on the same level, LOTR will easily make more money than HP. just my opinion, but this stuff is what i do.

Ted, who is being as unbiased as possible and trying to leave out my opinions of the actual movies

Well, I think that Potter has more general appeal, but LOTR impressed people more than Potter. So it will be interesting. :P

No Ren, I wasn't calling you a ding dong, I was say A.I did, and he called the rest of us HP fans ding dongs too.

Did I? I think perhaps you are putting words in my mouth. If you identify yourself as a ding-dong for liking Harry Potter, it's more to do with a complex within yourself, than anything that I may project as an opinion.

The poll question is a bit vague..  

Harry Potter is for ding-dongs, Lord of the Rings is for the smarter.  

Yes A.I. you did. I have no complex, I love Harry Potter as everyone here know, I don't care much for Lord of the Rings. I seriously doubt it has much to do with my intelligence. I do believe it has more to do with which one touched my heart.

But you're smarter than me, I admit it because I cannot stand A.I. the movie, so that proves I am not smart. :)

I'm a big fat chocolate confectionary delight full of cream. At least I have someone at home who will eat me all up. Unfortunately I am not a twin pack.

Hmmmm what other major summer blockbusters are coming out in 2003 besides The Matrix films???

X-Men 2, or X2 as it's being offically called, will be released on May 2, two weeks before The Matrix Reloaded, and will be it's closest scheduled competition, and perhaps it's toughest as well. Then you have The Fast and the Furious 2 (June 6) The Hulk (Jun 20) and Terminator 3 (July 2) following closely behind. Each of these films will try to appeal to the same demographic, and not all can succeed. Once you throw in blockbuster hopefuls The Far Side of the World and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, both opening June 6, it could get really ugly, financially speaking.

i think you underestimate its chances. as you should know, how much the original pulled in at the box office means nothing.

It's not exactly a good idea to overestimate The Matrix's chances either. It will have to contend with some serious competition and people are not all that impressed by "bullit-time" and "wire-fu" these days. It's been done to death at this point, so the film better have some great tricks up it's provebial sleeve if it wants to survive.

people are not all that impressed by "bullit-time" and "wire-fu" these days. It's been done to death at this point

But few films did it well. Matrix used these effects, but it used them with style, and most importantly to tell the story. Most other uses of "bullet-time" I've seen were just for the effect's sake, and even poorly done. Of course, many people probably only care about the effects and not about how/why they are used, so my rambling might not have anything to do with the actual discussion about box office results.

:sigh: Nino Rota film music compilation

Yes, A.I., I am overweight, 5-10 260lbs, or 175cm tall, and 18.5 stones.

I'm 42 years old, admittedly the oldest person here,and set in my ways.

I like my Star Wars left alone, and Spielberg is my favorite director, but I have an intense dislike for his 2001 film disaster. Loved his 2002 semi-masterpiece. I think Harry Potter far superior to LOTR.

Joe, who loves many things.

Yes, A.I., I am overweight, 5-10 260lbs, or 175cm tall, and 18.5 stones.

I'm 42 years old, admittedly the oldest person here,and set in my ways.

I like my Star Wars left alone, and Spielberg is my favorite director, but I have an intense dislike for his 2001 film disaster.  Loved his 2002 semi-masterpiece.  I think Harry Potter far superior to LOTR.

Joe, who loves many things.

You're pretty immature for a forty-two year old. And ignorant, since you hate AI.

this coming from someone who created a completely illogical poll.

thank diskobulus,

However, your calling me ignorant is completely ignorant on your part.

I am entitled to my opinion on A.I., especially since I saw the film 3 times and gave it every chance in the world. Since I gave it every chance and it failed to engage me doesn't make me ignorant, it makes me wasteful of money.

Joe, who doesn't give a rats ass what diskobulus(what does that mean?) thinks about him. But if you insult me again, I will sic Stefan on your ass, and you don't want that. :P

You guys are so immature. Why must everyone agree with you for you to consider them to be smart? Joe has stated his opinions and backed them up more intellegently than any of you. Yet you still bash his opinions and call him ignorant.

Opinions are opinions and likes are likes. You have yours, he has his. Do NOT consider anyone more superior because they like a specific frickin' film. Geez,

Grow up.

You guys are so immature.  Why must everyone agree with you for you to consider them to be smart?  Joe has stated his opinions and backed them up more intellegently than any of you.  Yet you still bash his opinions and call him ignorant.

Opinions are opinions and likes are likes.  You have yours, he has his.  Do NOT consider anyone more superior because they like a specific frickin' film.  Geez,

Grow up.

:):P;)bowdownbowdownbowdown

:P

Ted, who couldn't agree more with Ren