The Hunt - Why was it not used for the movie?

Josh500

Rate "The Hunt"!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. From The Lost World: Jurassic Park

• A Excellent
    • B Quite good
    • C Mediocre
    • D Below standard
    • E Crap

I absolutely love "The Hunt" and can't understand why it wasn't used in the movie. I guess Spielberg didn't want this brilliant piece of music to divert too much attention from the wild-roaming dinos, but that's only a guess. I wonder whether the Jungle Chase will sound similiar to this ... if so, it can only be for the good.

"The Hunt" has so much going on, it's mind-blowing. The heavy percussion, the wild strings, the brass section...

I love the last 40 seconds or so, when the strings seemingly go frantic and make their statement...

:rolleyes:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was completely unused?

I never try to compare the OST with the film, i dont want to suffer... :P

Surely the music went unused because Spielberg re-edited the scene or made it longer.

That, and the fact the he is a HACK! :P

Spielberg raped my Childhood :rolleyes:

It's beyond excellent.

Back in the day it was the most fresh JW action cue in a long time.

Now that it's provided the basis for everything following it, it may have diminished in the eyes of those who heard the other scores first, or missed it the first time it came around.

It was completely unused?

I never try to compare the OST with the film, i dont want to suffer... :P

Surely the music went unused because Spielberg re-edited the scene or made it longer.

That, and the fact the he is a HACK! :P

Spielberg raped my Childhood :rolleyes:

Spielberg is the greatest director ever... forget your childhood!

There is the very cool choppy effect (be it the editing or the actual writing, I don't know the history of the track) to the cue, where it *seems* as though the music is sort of rewinding itself before lashing back out between the different parts that make it up.

It's very refreshing to hear stop-go action written so well. Not since Undiscovered Country. :rolleyes:

Like much of the material in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, it has the initial appeal of relatively untrodden musical territory; yet, it's an exceedingly repetitive piece and not a track to which I return often these days.

Like much of the material in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, it has the initial appeal of relatively untrodden musical territory; yet, it's an exceedingly repetitive piece and not a track to which I return often these days.

So? What's your point?

Many of JW's pieces are "exceedingly repetitive" as you call it, but that doesn't make them boring. The variation in orchestration is where JW excells.

So? What's your point?

Many of JW's pieces are "exceedingly repetitive" as you call it, but that doesn't make them boring. The variation in orchestration is where JW excells.

I think my point should be pretty clear from my statement, which, by the way, doesn't call Williams's accomplishments as an orchestrator into question.

Hlao-roo, I enjoy reading your posts imagining the person in your avatar speaking the words. It gives each post a distinguished, scholarly air.

Hlao-roo, I enjoy reading your posts imagining the person in your avatar speaking the words. It gives each post a distinguished, scholarly air.

Heh, well, the character in my avatar would no doubt take that as an immense compliment.

That's the beauty of his avatar.

Yes, as the embodiment of pretentiousness, it augments my ability to project intellectuality without necessarily attaining it. ;)

So EVERYBODY here likes The Hunt! :thumbup:

I find myself hoping that "The Jungle Chase" is in the same caliber as "The Hunt," only more Indy-like and maybe humorous...

I like "Rescuing Sarah," "The Lost World," "Malcolm's Journey," and "The Raptors Appear" more than "The Hunt," though it's still a great piece.

Yes, the (full) "Rescuing Sarah" cue is amazing, especially the parts the OST skipped over.

Ted

I hope the Jungle Chase is more like The Desert Chase, only more jungle-y.

Ted

Hmmm... yeah, what an exciting thought! :thumbup:

I hope the Jungle Chase music accompanies the scene from the trailer when Indy and Marion are driving along the cliff in the jungle and something (a giant wheel?) comes flying at them!

I like "Rescuing Sarah," "The Lost World," "Malcolm's Journey," and "The Raptors Appear" more than "The Hunt," though it's still a great piece.

But my favourite is still Visitor in San Diego, which is the most testosterone-filled and adrenaline-inducing track JW has ever written.

Except for "The Football Game."

It's testosterone-filled, indeed, but as a cue it has several weak points - I mean the moody opening and uninspiring fade-out at the end. I would have liked that track much more, if it was constructed more like a concert piece. So as for the 'playing game' cues, Williams' "The Football Game" doesn't stand up to Dudley's "Playing to Win" (from "American History X"), at least in my book.

My post was referring to the LW cue, not the Football Game. I like the Football game, but the incorporation of electronics is somewhat disjointed.

Ted

Jerry's THE HUNT from POTA was probably temped to that scene and Stevie felt the music fitted better than any music Johnny could ever write for it.

I heard that the male wet t-shirt wrestling contest of 1982 was the best ever. Some pretty big tits were on display.

The Lost World is a musical disaster as far as editing goes.

I don't know if it was a case of Spielberg not liking some of Williams' music, post production was rushed on the film or he fell in love with TLW theme and decided to paste it all over the film.

Whatever the case it's a shame that Williams' score is hacked up in the film because it's one of his better efforts.

In the case of The Hunt, I do remember coming to the conclusion that the scene was re-edited because I think I tried to sync up the original cue and couldn't get it to work. One of the better tracks, IMO, and a good example of how, in this score, he tried incorporating Latin-type of rhythms into his more traditional action writing sound.

- Adam

Sux he didn't use it, it is a great track and I listen to it on my Ipod almost daily (1gb ipod so it's not hard to come across songs more often :lol:) But same question is why keeping up with the joneses wasn't used. That airplane scene from LC could have been so much better with music!

In the case of The Hunt, I do remember coming to the conclusion that the scene was re-edited because I think I tried to sync up the original cue and couldn't get it to work. One of the better tracks, IMO, and a good example of how, in this score, he tried incorporating Latin-type of rhythms into his more traditional action writing sound.

- Adam

Yeah it doesn't really fit the film. I believe I tried it as well.

The Hunt is absolutely great. The whole TLW score is really good. The Hunt should've been used in the movie. I cannot see how it could not have worked extremely well.