Do you admire Steven Spielberg?

Josh500

Do you admire Steven Spielberg?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Director of E.T., Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan...

• Does a bear **** in the woods? Of course I do.
    • Nope. One of the most overrated directors of all time. He's had some major hits, granted, but that's more due to JW's brilliant scores than his skills as a director. I do NOT admire him. There, I've said it!

This, obviously, is not for everyone. Frankly, it's not even for me very often. After all, paying attention as closely as possible takes a lot of time, and a lot of time is something I rarely seem to have.

Yes, time, but above all, openness. I refuse to believe that "openness" is a luxury granted by "time". Interest will create time.

Alex

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course i admire him. He is my favourite director, and whitout a doubt one of the most important directors in cinema story.

1983: The Twiligth Movie: ** His segment it´s the worst of the movie and it is said a lot... Without a doubt one of his worst works.

sorry but the worst is John Landis' segment, by a long shot. Spielberg's was 2nd worst or 3rd best, but it featured outstanding music by JG that somewhat saved it.

Spielberg's worst work, AI, absolutely his biggest failure.

Features the worst acting performace ever in a Spielberg film. I heard he came close to firing her, (frances O'conner) she was pathetic.

Landis' segment was entertaining, but it could have been great. He was too ambitious for his own good.

I rather like Spielberg's segment, it's whimsical, it's funny, and has a ballet-like quality, which Goldsmith reflects in the music so wonderfully. Granted, I think it has more of the feel of an Amazing Stories episode rather than TZ.

But it is a Twilight Zone, Drax, its a remake of the original Twilight Zone episode, and another reason his part isn't the worst is it has Selma Diamond in it. Anything with character actress Selma Diamond can't be all bad.

I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me!!!

1983: The Twiligth Movie: ** His segment it´s the worst of the movie and it is said a lot... Without a doubt one of his worst works.

Worst?? Clearly you didn't understand it.

Of course i admire him. He is my favourite director, and whitout a doubt one of the most important directors in cinema story.

sorry but the worst is John Landis' segment, by a long shot. Spielberg's was 2nd worst or 3rd best, but it featured outstanding music by JG that somewhat saved it.

Spielberg's worst work, AI, absolutely his biggest failure.

Features the worst acting performace ever in a Spielberg film. I heard he came close to firing her, (frances O'conner) she was pathetic.

The film is bad proyect. The only segment that I like is the last one (Miller´s). The Dante´s one has its moments, but it is not particulary good, so the two worst ones for me are the Landis´ one and Spielberg´s. Landis is an average director and he has a lot of problems with his segment (the dead of the leading actor and two little boys...) and Spielberg is a genius, that´s whay I said that his segment is the worst one. And Goldmsith music is good but it doesn´t save the show and make it good...

I don´t agree with your opinion on A.I. I think it is his second most underrated movie behind Empire of the Sun. It has very good moments. I tell more when I´ll watch it again in the next days.

you don't have to, Im glad for anyone who likes AI, but its still a horrible film.

A.I. is a challenging movie. Therefore, its bound to have some haters. But why must we divide into groups of proponents and opponents? What's wrong with admiring interesting movies?

Ted

its not interesting either, I've given in multiple viewings, Spielberg has yet to fully redeem himself for that travesty.

its not interesting either, I've given in multiple viewings, Spielberg has yet to fully redeem himself for that travesty.

With AI spielberg redeemed himself from the ultra crap that is 1941. :mrgreen:

And this is as fact as yours.

The only thing I like about A.I. is the soundtrack. The movie itself has so many 'wrong' elements that it becomes impossible for me to even watch it. The first act is okay though.

Alex

With AI spielberg redeemed himself from the ultra crap that is 1941. ;)

Luke Spielberg redeemed himself from 1941 with a movie called Raiders of the Lost Ark, please if you're going to play try to keep up.

Spielberg has yet to redeem himself from A.I., he made Catch Me if You can, fun film but too light to fully redeem himself, Minority Report is also lacking something, Terminal, well it was DOA, WotW needed some script revisions, and Munich is his "modern day SL, so it can't be criticized, yet it was a problematic film too"

Luke Spielberg redeemed himself from 1941 with a movie called Raiders of the Lost Ark, please if you're going to play try to keep up.

Spielberg has yet to redeem himself from A.I., he made Catch Me if You can, fun film but too light to fully redeem himself, Minority Report is also lacking something, Terminal, well it was DOA, WotW needed some script revisions, and Munich is his "modern day SL, so it can't be criticized, yet it was a problematic film too"

it was so bad (1941) that he had to make movies untill AI to be redeemed :P

I think his new movies impress on the first time but crack on the second. I know I feel this way so millions of others must feel this way too.

Alex

it was so bad (1941) that he had to make movies untill AI to be redeemed :P

1941 is a better more entertaining film than A.I., though both were ambitious failures, at least 1941 has Swing Swing Swing, whats A.I. got the uber terrible Francis O'Connor, I did like Teddy though

I voted yes. Of course I admire the guy, he's done some of the best movies ever made, and he's continuously keeping up the good work. Long may he reign! ;)

It has to be wrong since Morlock thinks it's the best sci-fi film ever made. I don't need more proof than that!

You must have confused me with someone else. It is probably my favorite sci-fi film ever. I am hardly well-versed in the genre, and would not presume to talk about bests. And, frankly, it strikes me as rather unsophisticated to A. condemn a movie because I like it (we have agreed, occaisionaly), and B. not even care to see that I don't offer flat statements that I love, but I have actually attempted to explain why it effects me so.

I think his new movies impress on the first time but crack on the second. I know I feel this way so millions of others must feel this way too.

Alex

Sure they crack. They all have serious problems. But there is so much more good in them than you give them credit for.

1941 is a better more entertaining film than A.I., though both were ambitious failures, at least 1941 has Swing Swing Swing, whats A.I. got the uber terrible Francis O'Connor, I did like Teddy though

Swing, Swing, Swing is fun, but it's still a watered down Sing, Sing, Sing.

Sure they crack. They all have serious problems. But there is so much more good in them than you give them credit for.

The good lies in some of the talent Spielberg works with: director of photography, the music composer, ... eh ... that's it for me.

It has to be wrong since Morlock thinks it's the best sci-fi film ever made. I don't need more proof than that!

You must have confused me with someone else. It is probably my favorite sci-fi film ever. I am hardly well-versed in the genre, and would not presume to talk about bests. And, frankly, it strikes me as rather unsophisticated to A. condemn a movie because I like it (we have agreed, occaisionaly), and B. not even care to see that I don't offer flat statements that I love, but I have actually attempted to explain why it effects me so.

Alex

with that attitude you'll never get past your credibility issues

sorry but you don't need to argue with me, just change your line of thinking. Its bad, its the worst acting in any dramatic SS film.

Alex

with that attitude you'll never get past your credibility issues

Swing, Swing, Swing is, in concept and execution, a Sing, Sing, Sing homage. And, to my ears, it's use of it's melody is not as punchy or as fun.

I much prefer Swing Swing Swing, to Sing Sing Sing, there is much more energy in John's work.

Yes Williams and Spielberg have mentioned mnay times it was intentional.

back into negative credibility Morlock, Swing Swing Swing stands wonderfully on its own, its a vibratant living piece of music. It also gives the listener happy feet. :mrgreen:

With AI spielberg redeemed himself from the ultra crap that is 1941. :mrgreen:

it was so bad (1941) that he had to make movies untill AI to be redeemed :lol:

A.i. does not feature a butched score.

Look, in the future, AI will be regarded as a sci-fi masterpiece.

1941 will never be a masterpiece of anything, least of all, comedy, with only two or three true comical gags.

AI won't be regarded as a masterpiece Luke, we've heard that lie before.

WOW.

Steven Spielberg has a 92% approval rating. As opposed to George Lucas, who has only 56%!!!

Go figure...

From where?

Let me see... the man is behind one of my favourite films of all time, what do you think?

The question really should be... Do I like any of his films post 9/11? No, not really.

Minority Report is so far the only film Spielberg has made this century that I consider to be a very good one.

Lets hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull delivers. Regardless, I confidently doubt it will be the horrible waste of time the Star Wars prequels were.

The question really should be... Do I like any of his films post 9/11? No, not really.

Minority Report is so far the only film Spielberg has made this century that I consider to be a very good one.

Lets hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull delivers. Regardless, I confidently doubt it will be the horrible waste of time the Star Wars prequels were.

Loved A.I., MR, and Munich.

WotW and The Terminal I could have done without.

Of course KotCS will deliver. This will be Steven Spielberg's "comeback," so to speak.

Perhaps brilliant is a bit over the top, but I thought it was pretty good. I thought the story was quite interesting, the movie quite fun and even quite touching at points, the score pretty good and Tom Hanks' performance REALLY good. I don't know what's not to like. Apart of the ending; that was slightly sad-like.

I really don't get why so many people don't seem to like The Terminal. Did I see a different film? I though it's brilliant.

Not brilliant, but funny and really entertaining. Unlike WotW it doesn't claim to be something serious. Spielberg has made worse movies this century.

Perhaps brilliant is a bit over the top, but I thought it was pretty good. I thought the story was quite interesting, the movie quite fun and even quite touching at points, the score pretty good and Tom Hanks' performance REALLY good. I don't know what's not to like. Apart of the ending; that was slightly sad-like.

I like the ending since it was refreshing to see a bittersweet finale of a rom-com.

BTW, the score is terrific, has very uplifiting theme and I remember whistling it when I left the cinema.

I'm not calling it a bad movie (I'm sure Spielberg can't make one), but The Terminal is mediocre at best.

But that's just my opinion, of course!

I'm not calling it a bad movie (I'm sure Spielberg can't make one), but The Terminal is mediocre at best.

But that's just my opinion, of course!

I liked it more than WotW, MR and CMIYC, both film- and score-wise.

Nope. Instead, he should do another Indy! :lol:

Although it WOULD be interesting to hear a James Bond score by John Williams!

I liked Catch Me If You Can a lot as well. For me The Terminal and CMIYC are pretty much on par. I also pretty much like War of the Worlds. I don't remember liking Minority Report much.