• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Legend by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You don't need to base your opinion on just the OST. :cool:

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice score by Goldsmith, much better than the replacement score. I'll give it 4 stars.

I actually enjoy the electronics in the score. It has a nice dreamy quality to it and I enjoy listening to it when I'm relaxing. I

I wish I could be more in depth with my reviews but I've just got too many scores to remember them in full.

One of Jerry's finest, most atmospheric works. The opening track is one of my very favorite pieces of film music.

Ted

I never managed to listen through the whole thing. Most of it sounds weird, sometimes even silly (mostly the electronics and songs) and tracks like "Darkness Falls" just didn't sound very interesting to me, because I have, so far, been unable to establish any theme usage in there. However, I know many people consider it a masterpiece, so it should give it another chance at some point. Right now I'd probably give it a 3, but since I'm hardly familiar with it, I'll go with the "I'm not familiar with this score" option this time.

I've seen the cut of the movie with the Goldsmith score, but I don't remember it well enough to have an opinion.

When I watched it, it was with somebody who was a big fan of the movie from her childhood, and she was highly annoyed that the Tangerine Dream music was gone.

I saw the film with Jerry Goldsmith's music as well and I thought it worked fine enough. Never saw the Tangerine Dream version and I don't think I want to either. :)

I've only ever seen the Tangerine Dream version of the film and it worked about as well as any score should be expected to in a mediocre movie like this one.

Very good kitsch. In its own way a standout among Goldsmith's works. Weird synths give it a very unique atmosphere, and the highlights (like some of the songs - Bumps and Hollows in particular) are just wonderful. The problem is, it's so atmospheric that I lose track somewhere after the first third, and barely consciously register the later tracks. Still, 4.5 stars from me.

I literally just listened to this score a couple hours ago. Weird. Definitely a big fan of this one, although I can see how it might not be very accessible for a lot of listeners as there isn't any central theme to latch onto. It's mostly just really lush and beautiful underscore augmented by some very good songs. My favorite is definitely "Bumps and Hollows."

4.5 for me.

I've only ever seen the Tangerine Dream version of the film and it worked about as well as any score should be expected to in a mediocre movie like this one.

I actually enjoy the Tangerine Dream score as well. It's not as sophisticated as Goldsmith's, but as you point out, it doesn't need to be. I've always had a soft spot for the movie, absurd as it is. I'll always remember seeing the "Forgive me" scene with the Tangerine Dream score for the first time, and loving it.

Ted

A great score, worthy of a five. One of my favorite Goldsmith works, although I don't have much to compare to.

4 stars.Last of the great Goldsmith scores

One of the few Goldsmith scores (along with Baby and Gremlins) not ruined by extensive synth

I've always had a soft spot for the movie, absurd as it is. I'll always remember seeing the "Forgive me" scene with the Tangerine Dream score for the first time, and loving it.

Ted

Even though I think it's a mediocre movie, I still find enjoyment in it. Tim Curry is great fun and its lovely to look at.