The 'Essential Discography'

Jim Ware

How many 'Essential Discography' titles do you own?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1-10
    • 10-20
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40-48

It has nothing that you can't get on Greatest Hits or the OST's.

Then the proper sentence should be "they don't have anything of value for me because I already have the Greatest Hits 2CD", which would still be very debatable, but at least it wouldn't be a complete stupidity as your first statement was.

Everyone can have the Greatest Hits 2CD. The statement 'should' have been no one needs those cd's or should get them if they have or can get Greatest Hits 2CD. Which is really the same as no one needs it. At least, that's what I was advise others. :mrgreen:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:?

How about,I have all the music that the Greatest Hits 2 c.d. set has on other previously released c.d.'s therefore I don't need that compilation.

K.M.

P.S.My only reason for getting it would be to lend it to people interested in sampling Williams music.

The statement 'should' have been no one needs those cd's or should get them if they have or can get Greatest Hits 2CD. Which is really the same as no one needs it. At least, that's what I was advise others.

Your initial statement was "there's nothing of value in those CDs", which has nothing to do with your above "clarification".

You know, that's one of the reasons why you are the ONLY member of this board that I don't respect at all. And you know very well what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with disagreements. You keep posting your nonsense, blah blah shit, no matter what, whether you're right or wrong. And this also affects many other members. There's plenty of examples everywhere.

LOL Of course it does, you don't think there are no reasons why it has no value, no value can mean redundant which is exactly what they are if you have greatest hits! I do not see how you can say they are not related, you will have to tell me.

Er, your discussion raised questions.

The greatest hits-compilation CDs have unreleased music-concert arrangements?

If not they should not be in the essential list. People who has all the other discs have all the music, so as enjoyable the discs can be, they cannot be treated as essentials IMO.

Luke, still waiting fo the TPM OST being put on that list :)

LOL Of course it does, you don't think there are no reasons why it has no value, no value can mean redundant which is exactly what they are if you have greatest hits! I do not see how you can say they are not related, you will have to tell me.

You just proved my above statement.

And of course, I'm not going to spend my valuable time explaining the ABC to some stupid kid with no life.

So this is the last time I reply to your posts. Bye, dumby.

The greatest hits-compilation CDs have unreleased music-concert arrangements?

No.

If not they should not be in the essential list. People who has all the other discs have all the music, so as enjoyable the discs can be, they cannot be treated as essentials IMO.

The Greatest Hits compilation is essential for beginners.

Luke, still waiting  fo the TPM OST being put on that list  :)

Always and Stanley & Iris are not on the list and they are much more essential than the TPM OST. 95% of that release can be found on the extremely flawed, but much more complete, so-called 'Ultimate Edition'.

1- No.

2- The Greatest Hits compilation is essential for beginners.

3- Always and Stanley & Iris are not on the list and they are much more essential than the TPM OST. 95% of that release can be found on the extremely flawed, but much more complete, so-called 'Ultimate Edition'.

1- Them my point has some truth

2- But the essential list definately it is not. It is not essential anyway, it is only if you want to hear William's styles and see if you like him/his scores. Not essential for many of us, IMO

3- What are you waiting to put them then? You will please many people here.

Them my point has some truth

What was your point?

But the essential list definately it is not. It is not essential anyway, it is only if you want to hear William's styles and see if you like him/his scores. Not essential for many of us, IMO

I don't have the Greatest Hits compilation. But I think it's an essential release for beginners. I don't want to exclude them.

What are you waiting to put them then? You will please many people here.

I don't think they are as essential as the rest of the CDs on the list.

My point was that if all the scores on the list are essential, the compilations are not a must have (regarding people is going to have alll the other discs)

Look, put an essentials list for begginers with 10 titles or so.

And then put a essentials list for veterans. (same as the one existing).

Beautifully democratic (or moderate if you prefer) :)

I also implied that The Greatest Hits would be usefull to me to lend someone interested in Williams music to sample a wide range of his compositions.

To Morn.the Greatest Hits doesn't contain mostof what that those 2 other "useless" compilations contain.

K.M.

I feel I must answer now.

My point was that if all the scores on the list are essential, the compilations are not a must have (regarding people is going to have alll the other discs)

But beginners won't know there is a compilaiton CD to begin with, if it isn't in the list. Only by judging the work in the compilation album can they decide to grow their collection.

Look, put an essentials list for begginers with 10 titles or so.

And then put a essentials list for veterans. (same as the one existing).

I don't think rating fans by category is a good idea.

Beautifully democratic (or moderate if you prefer) 8O

I didn't get the moderate thing. Wait I think I just did. And I also think I'm one of the very few who will.

And as for the democratic thing, let's put it this way. Ricard is one. You are one. Why is it considered democratic to do what you say instead of what Ricard says, when you are even?

-ROSS

I've never viewed this board as a democracy.  It's Ricard's.  He can do or say whatever he wants.

I've never thought of this site or this board as 'mine'. When I post an opinion, that's my opinion (as a member). But when I act as a webmaster and moderator, I try to do whatever I feel is better for the site, its visitors and members.

Not to dissagree with most of you but anytime you have an essential list, people almost always include best-of's. Not everyone wants to collect all of Williams's works and for them, they might get what they want from certain scores by the compilations.

EG: They might want all the Star Wars CD's but they might not want Saving Private Ryan, but only Hymn to the Fallen from it, and only The Days Between from Stepmom. That makes that album extremely essential to some people. And most people like to have something that they can stick in their player that just highlights his career either in the car or I have used it at dinner parties. Most people out there that love John Williams want to just listen to the well known pieces of his, ONLY US, a small minority of the people, want to collect all of his works. That actually makes it a very essential CD.