Star Trek the Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith's Best?

SF1_freeze

I recently listened to the Star Trek THE MOTION PICTURE Soundtrack and it holds everything promised by a lot of sources. It is easily the best of the Goldsmith Star Trek scores (I don't know the others not by Goldsmith).

I would consider myself a Star Wars fan and so Star Trek is like enemy territory but this soundtrack is worth forgetting about that one time :)

I'm sure most of you know that soundtrack but for those who didn't get the pleasure i have some recommendations.

The two absolutly outstanding tracks are "The Enterprise" and "Illia's Theme"

"The Enterprise" offers you the most amazing variations and arrangements of the widly known Star Trek Theme. Goldsmith didn't want or was not able to go back to that in the later Star Trek films scored by him. Best moment by far is 3:15-3:50. Here the Theme is played in the most powerful and complete way ever. This truly gives goosebumbs especially if listened with good sound equipment.

"Illia's Theme" is a wonderful and lush secondary theme in the film and has the spirit of a love theme. The outstanding thing here isn't just it's beauty, it's the wonderful incorporation of the main theme into Illia's theme.

I'm no Jerry Goldsmith expert, but i'm asking you if Goldsmith ever surpassed the skill and the success of the "Star Trek Motion Picture" and which scores by him play in the same league or is this the best film score he ever composed?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of these few JG's cds I own, however, as much as I like it (it's an outstanding score hands down), it's not my favourite Goldsmith. Perhaps I would change my mind if I had expanded release of it, on the other hand I seem to prefer his other - say, less epic - works more (e.g.: Chinatown, The Russia House, Papillon, Basic Instinct...). Do not forget Alien or First Blood - they are also terrific. More Goldsmith-educated people (than me) would as well recommend his Rudyand Wind and the Lion.

I used to dislike it, since so much of it was just the Enterprise theme over and over again. Then it grew on me, and it truly is a beautiful and ethereal score. I wouldn't say it's my most listened to Star Trek score, but it's definitely the gold standard that all other Trek scores must be compared to. And one of Goldsmith's best.

Don't worry, you can be a Star Trek and Star Wars fan at the same time. I'm more or less an equal fan (or really harsh critic) of both, as well as Lord of the Rings.

Although I'm still waiting for the definitive game where someone can have Star Trek and Star Wars duke it out on the battlefield. There was a modpack for Star Trek Armada released years ago that tried this, but I thought on account of ship scale and the inability to zoom out fully (and really malicious AI) it was too hard.

Not only is it the best of Jerry Goldsmith its among the best film scores ever.

It's a great score. Usually his scores have a couple of good tracks and then some really boring ones, but this one is 90% awesome. Not to mention when it's good, it's REALLY good.

It's definately one of Goldsmith's top 5 film scores and it is one of the best film scores of all time.

None of his other Trek scores comes close to this one in terms of quality.

The score is up there with Williams' SW, for me at least. That said, the composed many other great works that are as good. The Omen, Patton, Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, Legend, Caprciorn One and Alien and some others. I wouldn't dare to put them in any particular order on JG's TOP 10 (or whatever) list.

Karol

I think the score positively brilliant on CD, but is so good that it does not always work in the film. Ilia in the film is so flat, it depresses me every time I see bits of the film that one of the most gorgeous love theme ever was written for a situation that couldn't live up to a tenth of the emotion in that theme. The movie is a constant reminder of how Goldsmith so rarely got great films to score, that he used the best of his skill on a film that was ambtious, but without the corresponding successful execution.

What he said. (Only top 5 Mark? What's better? :) )

As you listen to it more the V'Ger music will get better and better. The blaster beam is simply the coolest thing ever.

Will I be stoned to death for saying I prefer Poltergeist?

As someone who isn't much of a Star Trek fan, the main theme of movie has been spoiled for me by it's use in the Next Gen tv show.

Speaking as someone who only saw the movie or heard the score long after seeing TNG on tv, I have far less connection with the theme than others here. When I first heard 'The Enterprise', it sounded like a fantastic arrangement of a good tune I was familiar with, not the religious experience that many here describe.

Well, I'm not nearly versed enough in Goldsmith to say what his best score is. But I think Star Trek: TMP is definitely up there with Alien and The Omen. Amazing score.

That about sums it up for me, too. I had seen many episodes of TNG before ever hearing a new age keyboard CD of sci-fi movie themes, and among them was "Star Trek." I really liked it, but I thought it was just a re-orchestration of TNG's theme song, since I had never seen The Motion Picture or any other Goldsmith-scored movie.

Then I got the soundtracks to The Final Frontier and First Contact long before the score to The Motion Picture, and only then did it dawn on me that it had been the theme for the movies years before being brought back for TNG.

Beautiful theme, though, any way you listen to it.

I am in awe of how Goldsmith took elements of the movie that could have easily seemed long-winded and meandering, and turned them into something beautiful and operatic. That is Jerry truely scoring the ideal version of a film.

What he said. (Only top 5 Mark? What's better? :o )

As you listen to it more the V'Ger music will get better and better. The blaster beam is simply the coolest thing ever.

I think you could pick from A Patch Of Blue, Poltergeist, Hoosiers, Patton, Planet Of The Apes, Papillon, Alien, The Omen, The Final Conflict, The Sand Pebbles, Night Crossing, The Blue Max, Islands In The Stream, Chinatown, Total Recall and Rambo II as contenders for his top 5 along with Star Trek.

I do remember the first time I played ST:TMP with my wife present. She said "oh you're playing TNG theme". She was in band and they had played it as TNG theme.

Of course I quickly corrected her.

What he said. (Only top 5 Mark? What's better? :o )

I think you could pick from A Patch Of Blue, Poltergeist, Hoosiers, Patton, Planet Of The Apes, Papillon, Alien, The Omen, The Final Conflict, The Sand Pebbles, Night Crossing, The Blue Max, Islands In The Stream, Chinatown, Total Recall and Rambo II as contenders for his top 5 along with Star Trek.

Oh, is that all? ;)

What about The Wind and the Lion? That was going to be the next Goldsmith I got based on all the great things said about it.

Really? I was just throwing it out there. The little I've heard was not terribly impressive.

Well, what else is? (terribly impressive, i mean)

And another thing: since i have the 70 minutes of 'The Shadow', i almost found a new Jerry-score! There's some marvellous cartoony action/adventure writing in stuff like 'Fight like a Man' which even has some V'jour shades...most of the bad reputation those mid-90s-scores have is partly a result of those shoddy 30-minute CD's, where the old geezer always left off key pieces, be it 'Shadow', 'Chain Reaction' or 'First Knight', maybe just to annoy the geeks.

I'm not familiar with the complete scores to those movies, but I do know that Air Force One, for example, is quite lacking in it's album presentation (although the best cue being left off is due to the cost of that cue, not an esthetic choice).

Hey, Mr. Baseball got a good laugh out of me! Admittedly, I've played it about twice only so far, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's quite good in its own, super-goofy way.

TMP one of the best Goldsmith scores and thus, by definition, among the best film scores ever.

I'm not familiar with the complete scores to those movies, but I do know that Air Force One, for example, is quite lacking in it's album presentation (although the best cue being left off is due to the cost of that cue, not an esthetic choice).

Dear God, Morlock, do yourself a favor and at least go for 'First Knght' and 'The Shadow'.

The Shadow's album does not particularly interest me. First Knight however...at some point I'll venture out and find the expanded version. However, over the years, I've become more and more anal about having original albums, and esthetically, I'm not a fan of expanded scores (even though I realize this preference causes me to miss some damn fine music). Although I do have a few.

Hey, Mr. Baseball got a good laugh out of me! Admittedly, I've played it about twice only so far, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's quite good in its own, super-goofy way.

Well, when talking about the composers of the pantheon, presumably you'd have no score that is entirely lacking interest or quality. Even my least favorite Williams score I like on a conceptual level, and I've yet to listen to a complete Goldsmith score I've completely been left cold by.

And let's not forget Mr. Baseball and Chain Reaction.

You know I was being serious and actually mentioning scores I felt could go head to head as his top scores.

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint a composer's best score.

And let's not forget Mr. Baseball and Chain Reaction.

You know I was being serious and actually mentioning scores I felt could go head to head as his top scores.

I know you were being serious. It was a poor attempt at humor on my part.

Wouldn't some be able to argue that about any movie, ever?

It's still worth watching.
I know you were being serious. It was a poor attempt at humor on my part.

Yes.

:o

Ah, the well spaced rebuttal- pracitcally a lost art. You are a god among us mere mortals.

Wouldn't some be able to argue that about any movie, ever?

Not really, since the general consensus is that the first ST movie was a bad one, always has been. The fans (of ST) will obviously find enjoyment in it though, and theres no harm in that.

There isn't some ongoing debate about Alien being a film for the fans only of that franchise, is there? No there isn't. As you know, the reason for that is Alien is clearly a very good film. Few will debate that.

I don't even want to think how mind-numbingly tedious things like the cloud fly-through would be without his music.

The movie would not be much without its' score.

The Director's Cut of TMP is a fine film, but still...different. It's a good story, slowly told but with some wonderful visuals, but the interaction between the main characters is not nearly at the level of the films that came after.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the only Star Trek movie that doesn't try to also be an action movie.

Technically, Khan wasn't an action movie, SFS had about one fist fight in it as far as I recall, VH had Checkov's Run and Hospital Chase, which might be the first true action sequences in the series.

I see what you really mean though, TMP is "different". And while that only allowed for an ok movie (many aspects about it could have been better than they were, but making it a great film would have been very hard at least), I believe it's also what gave Goldsmith the chance to write such great music. There aren't many films you could write a The Enterprise for, let alone something like Vejur Flyover.

I see what you really mean though, TMP is "different". And while that only allowed for an ok movie (many aspects about it could have been better than they were, but making it a great film would have been very hard at least), I believe it's also what gave Goldsmith the chance to write such great music. There aren't many films you could write a The Enterprise for, let alone something like Vejur Flyover.

Absolutely. Wonderful "composer's moments", letting him take center stage.

TMP one of the best Goldsmith scores and thus, by definition, among the best film scores ever.

no no, its is THE BEST JERRY GOLDSMITH SCORE and its among the best film scores ever,

There are few John Williams score this good.

But there are a few though.

I'm very hardpressed to name them.

From the 21st century none

from the 90's, none

from the 60's, none

from the 70's, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters and Superman

from the 80's, E.T., ESB, Raiders.