Team of Rivals errr Composers

DU Lou

Does anyone have the picture of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith sitting and surrounded but the other film composers. I want to say it was published by vanity fair??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great photo...I've seen it before, but it just looked like a very clever photoshop job. Now that I see it bigger, it looks real. Did they actually get all the composers to sit together like that?

In previous discussion about this picture, someone said that the two halves were put together for the spread. Which makes sense, since if John and Jerry are ever in the same room for too long, the universe will implode.

In the 10 years since the photo was published, we've lost 3 fine composers: Bernstein, Goldsmith, Kamen.

...and many other are either on retirement or they score occasionally.

In return, the bussiness has been flooded with hacks and people with little or no talent whatsoever.

If someone were taking such a pic today, I can imagine half of the room would be occupied by RPC and fromer MV composers... While I wouldn't mind Powell, nor Gregson-Williams, seeing guys like Djawadi or Jablonsky would be a real letdown...

Who else might/should appear in such a picture thesedays? Giacchino, Arnold, Goldsmith Jr.? Santaolalla?

In previous discussion about this picture, someone said that the two halves were put together for the spread. Which makes sense, since if John and Jerry are ever in the same room for too long, the universe will implode.

It would also explain why John Barry seems to be utterly bored by Quincy Jones' story.

Who else might/should appear in such a picture thesedays? Giacchino, Arnold, Goldsmith Jr.? Santaolalla?

- Giacchino - Yes

- Arnold - Yes

- Goldsmith Jr. - Yes

- Santaolalla - No

;)

I believe that if they were making such a picture today, they would actually take Santa (two-time Oscar winner afterall ) and Giacchino, but they would left both Arnold (away from Holywood for a long time) and Goldsmith (he doesn't really count in The Business yet)