Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Is that cheap? I got the Goonies for 9 bucks, but it was a triple pack with Gremlins and Gremlins 2.

It's only a movie.

that's a horrible thing to say. The film, despite what we think about it, created jobs and employment, it put money in peoples pockets and food on the table. For many movies are peoples livelyhood and are not something as casuel or trivial as when people say it's only a movie. Between world wide boxoffice and home media sales it's come close to earning a billion dollars. 1,000,000,000.00. if not more.

Aww, so considerate of you Joey. The crew of Man of Steel and The Hobbit are equally grateful for their livelihoods too and are grateful of your sensitivity and understanding ;)

Lee - who could have bought a couple of cheap movies on Amazon today but didn't because he doesn't even like them.

My comment was a response to Alex' post "A trip without merit."

Not a commentary on the social or economical importance of blockbuster films.

The new generation uses Inception and TDK as a standard to measure all other movies.

Alex

So? the one before that held Jurassic Park and ID4 in high esteem. The generation before that loved Top Gun and Flashdance.

Prometheus is more harmless. Fans (if it has any) don't use it as a standard to measure all new films by. More insulting, yes, but far less dangerous. It's not gonna change anything.

IMO, both are without merit.

One of the things about Inception that puzzles me is that it's completely without imagination, which is weird for a movie about dreaming.

The foam at the mouths of a zillion Nolan apostles (crocs is only one of them) warrants some kind of merit, IMO. It's not too much to ask, I think. Granted, some fans don't treat it as the second coming but many do.

But I don't buy films because of the merits other people describe to them.

I bought Inception because when I rented it I enjoyed it, and 7 Euro's seems just right for it.

I also bought Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows part 2 for that price btw, though I havent broken the seal so i can return it.

Prometheus is far far worse. Nothing in Inception felt like it's makers were personally insulting me.

What about the part where DiCaprio turned to the camera and told your mum to eff off?

I bought Inception because when I rented it I enjoyed it, and 7 Euro's seems just right for it.

I also bought Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows part 2 for that price btw, though I havent broken the seal so i can return it.

The last Harry Potter is superior in many ways to Inception.

I hope Interstellar will be more about visuals and atmosphere again (the opposite of Inception). It's odd to me that Nolan is such a Kubrick fan.

strangly Alex and I see eye to eye on Inception and Prometheus in that both films disappoint.

However Prometheus disappointed me more because of it's heritage. I felt invested in it's potential success.

both films are very good looking, and both decently acted. However both do not tell good stories, nor are those stories told well.

Just face it Steef: you've made a huge mistake. Your brazen purchasing of THAT movie will be your undoing. It's all over for you now.

I'll send one via PM, round trip tickets to Amersterdam are pricy and Memphis is a scary town to fly out of.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mad Max films are overrated films, the first is pretty bad, the last is horrible. The 2nd one is just okay.

Wrong Morlock!

Another notch on the slide to "zero credibility"

1 and 3 are good films, 2 is a genuine genre classic!

sorry Morlock you're wrong. the first is schlock. the 2nd is okay, and the 3rd was unnecessary.

The Terminator Anthology and the Mad Max Trilogy sets are the Gold Box Deal of the Day on Amazon. $24.99 and $27.99 respectively. I want both but should probably only get one. The one I want less is the better deal.

it's a good deal for 5 Terminator films, but I'm only interested in 1 & 2.

I still haven't bought Terminator 2, which is among my 10 favourite films, in case a new remastered bluray comes up.

The previous one wasn't perfect, and the -now expensive- Japanese release was much better.

and those films are still the same crappy transfers anyway.

What do you mean? Terminator has been remastered with supposedly excellent picture! (although no inclusion of the original audio track with the original audio effects).

Unless you mean that that box-set includes the old Bluray of the first film.

still waiting for a good bargain of the Hitchcock collection. Maybe under $100.