Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

There is now a 3D version of The Wizard of Oz? ... Why?

So that consumers with a 3D TV can justify their purchase.

Not yet. The 3D version of The Wizard of Oz is in IMAX so that the recent generations of people who weren't around in 1939 to see it the first time around on the big screen (or whenever it was last in theaters) can see it in huge cinematic glory. I will see this on the big screen because I think it's a great idea.

So, there are people that will see this film for the first time as it was not supposed to be seen, right?

I don't respect your opinion one bit. When the movie was first debuted, were movie screens as big as they are now? Were speakers as clear? Did home media exist that permitted consumers to watch at home?

I don't respect your opinion one bit. When the movie was first debuted, were movie screens as big as they are now? Were speakers as clear? Did home media exist that permitted consumers to watch at home?

So, you're saying that the director wanted to shot the film in 3D but he couldn't because there was no 3D?

well, 3D exists now. Why don't ALL directors shot in 3D?

and since now there is CGI, that means we must see Jaws with a CGI shark, because back then they couldn't use them?

Express your displeasure at the existence of a 3D converted Oz by simply not going, so they don't get your money. They'll get mine. 3D is an unfortunate gimmick that studios use to make more money because they can charge more, and because it is a very popular technology that has been used in a few historical periods. It personally gives me a headache, but I personally don't care what the director's original vision was. That was seen decades ago. He's long dead and the studio knows best now. I just want to see it on the big screen.

In 70 years, when they rerelease Jaws in theaters after Spielberg has died, if they want to use a CGI shark, that's fine with me. I won't care. I have the original version, but I respect the studio's need to milk their cash cows to make revenue. I only wish I worked for them and it was my idea, so that I could tap that cow too.

He's long dead and the studio knows best now.

[...]

In 70 years, when they rerelease Jaws in theaters after Spielberg has died, if they want to use a CGI shark, that's fine with me. I won't care. I have the original version, but I respect the studio's need to milk their cash cows to make revenue. I only wish I worked for them and it was my idea, so that I could tap that cow too.

I'm a bit sad reading your first sentence.

Just because someone owns a piece of art (that he didn't create), doesn't mean that he has the right to change it as and when he pleases!

Thank God the studios don't own a Beethoven symphony or a Tchaikovsky ballet, otherwise we wouldn't know how they sounded like!

Films are products of their time.They should be seen as they were, without alterations, conversions to 3d and so on.

Such movements by the studios, make movie-illiterate people!

A film is like a history book.

Imagine a history book being changed all the time, by the one who owns it!

There is now a 3D version of The Wizard of Oz? ... Why?

So that consumers with a 3D TV can justify their purchase.

Not yet. The 3D version of The Wizard of Oz is in IMAX so that the recent generations of people who weren't around in 1939 to see it the first time around on the big screen (or whenever it was last in theaters) can see it in huge cinematic glory. I will see this on the big screen because I think it's a great idea.

So, there are people that will see this film for the first time as it was not supposed to be seen, right?

(Y)

It is not universally agreed upon that 4k is the same quality as 35 mm film

That would be 6K, so with 8K they should have it covered.

One of my favourite foreign films is coming to Blu-ray, restored in 4k!

One of the most astounding looking films ever with an excellent depiction of that era!

Nominated for 12 César (won 5), also won Jury Prize at Cannes (and Best actress).

Reine_margot1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnX6pEj5EE

LA REINE MARGOT by Patrice Chéreau (1994, 2h39) presented by Pathé.

Twenty years have passed since Patrice Chéreau, produced by Claude Berri, shot La Reine Margot, which he presented at Cannes the following year. Now twenty years on, ten years after serving as Chairman of the Jury, Patrice Chéreau returns to the Croisette, in the company of some actors from the film, including Daniel Auteuil, member of the Cannes 2013 Jury.

Ahead of the 20th anniversary of the film’s release, Pathé restored the film in 4K in 2013 and entrusted the work, under the direction of Patrice Chéreau, to Eclair Group for the image and L.E Diapason for the sound.

Looking back at Pathe French Blu-ray releases, I see they don't have English subtitles.

If you want this as much as I do, please contact them and express your interest in the inclusion of English subtitles.

http://www.pathefilms.com/contact

Also, some other favourite films of mine are coming to BLuray in Italy!

84993_large.jpg

Murder on the Orient Express / Death on the Nile / The Mirror Crack'd / Evil Under the Sun

I especially love Death on the Nile!

I hope they are restored. They deserve it since they feature magnificent sceneries.

The Long Goodbye is coming to Bluray.

80397_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Long-Goodbye-Blu-ray/80397/

I watched the film recently. I'm not sure that I was thrilled about it (I'm not generally the Altman type, as I have figured), and I didn't understand the reason for the score to be based only in different renditions of one song!

I think you had said here, that it serves a purpose, but I didn't see any purpose.

That reminds me, I should read the liner notes of the cd, that i hadn't done so far.

They've been advertising it for the past 7 weeks during the final episodes

It's drastically cheaper to buy the individual seasons, you can find them on sale for $10-$15 each around the holidays

One of my favourite foreign films is coming to Blu-ray, restored in 4k!

One of the most astounding looking films ever with an excellent depiction of that era!

Nominated for 12 César (won 5), also won Jury Prize at Cannes (and Best actress).

Reine_margot1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnX6pEj5EE

LA REINE MARGOT by Patrice Chéreau (1994, 2h39) presented by Pathé.

Twenty years have passed since Patrice Chéreau, produced by Claude Berri, shot La Reine Margot, which he presented at Cannes the following year. Now twenty years on, ten years after serving as Chairman of the Jury, Patrice Chéreau returns to the Croisette, in the company of some actors from the film, including Daniel Auteuil, member of the Cannes 2013 Jury.

Ahead of the 20th anniversary of the film’s release, Pathé restored the film in 4K in 2013 and entrusted the work, under the direction of Patrice Chéreau, to Eclair Group for the image and L.E Diapason for the sound.

Looking back at Pathe French Blu-ray releases, I see they don't have English subtitles.

If you want this as much as I do, please contact them and express your interest in the inclusion of English subtitles.

http://www.pathefilms.com/contact

I've seen that film but I don't remember a single thing about it except ... wasn't it very darkly lit? Why is this your favorite 'foreign film'?

I've seen that film but I don't remember a single thing about it except ... wasn't it very darkly lit? Why is this your favorite 'foreign film'?

Yes, it was indeed very dark. Maybe it was an aesthetic decision? or a problem of the medium?

It will show in the new Bluray which is restored. (although I believe it's the first. It was a very dark time in history and maybe the director wanted to depict that in the photography too)

I said it was one of my favourite foreign films.

I generally love history costume dramas (in the foreign film territory) and especially of this period that it depicts, and this was excellent in that field. Very impressive costumes, sets etc.

Also I like Adjani, and I liked the music too (although it's not the classic symphonic style)

Plus, I saw it in my teens at the cinema,and i have a special fodness for films that i saw back then.

They've been advertising it for the past 7 weeks during the final episodes

It's drastically cheaper to buy the individual seasons, you can find them on sale for $10-$15 each around the holidays

Well I've never watched the show so I wouldn't know. Decided around when Season 3 was airing that I'd just wait for the complete set. Right now it's only $40 more than buying all the sets new on Amazon. Of course I won't be buying this immediately, it'll be a gold box deal at some point. Plus I'm trying not to spend much in November since I have a large investment in the PS4. The Dylan set will have to wait too.

And Disney strikes again!

The upcoming Bluray of Mickey's Christmas Carol, is:

1) degrained

2) smudged (ok, not so much as The Sword in the Stone)

3) cropped to the death (i'm not sure if this stands as an expression)

2aec.jpg

Awful. What is Disney's problem?

I'll be keeping and enjoying the DVD that's part of Mickey Mouse In Living Color, Vol 2.

Man I miss those Walt Disney Treasures release. I have (and cherish) every one of them.

They're afraid their target audience won't understand what those little flecks of colour are for.

This is more than just degraining, the wider trend here is de-analoging because of the studio's presumption that kids have become so entrenched in the digital media, they won't understand that the videos they watch come from a wide variety of different sources, whether it's film stock or recent digital.

As a result, the studios believe they can appease the ignorance of general audiences by applying a uniform faux digital look to the entire back catalogue. Unfortunately I've worked with tech journalists who love this look and I got into some pretty heated debates at work over this issue because they couldn't understand why I thought preserving the look and texture of the original film was so important. If the original camera negatives disappeared and all we had was this 1080p scaledown, they were quite comfortable with leaving the image quality in an "airbrushed" state rather than using the high resolution of HD or now 4K to preserve the detail of the original film "because negatives are like so last century". They had become so used to the digital look, that film grain looked like dirt and dust that had to be wiped away. It was impossible to convince them that the film grain wasn't hiding any detail!

I'll see if Gojira is available. Then get a multi region player.

EDIT

Oh gimmie a break! I began filling out my order and they'll only ship to the US and Canada. I'll be happy to PayPal a North American poster here if they could please put the order through and send it to my address. I was ordering Godzilla, The Blob, The Uninvited, Things to Come and Charade on Blu-ray and Night and Fog on DVD.

I'll be keeping and enjoying the DVD that's part of Mickey Mouse In Living Color, Vol 2.

Man I miss those Walt Disney Treasures release. I have (and cherish) every one of them.

Disney's problem is that they want your money, and they don't care how they get it.

Disney's problem is that they want your money, and they don't care how they get it.

Unfortunately, according to most Bluray.com members, whoever wants the Disney animation classics trully restored without any errors or degraining/smudging or alterations or anything, is picky and should be at least grateful that these are released in Bluray, no matter how they look!

With a supposed history of advertising their works (especially the animated ones) as "classics" ("Pete's Dragon", a classic? Jog on, kitty!!!!!!) one would think that Disney would want to present their works is as good a condition as they possibly can. I refer you back to my pervious post...

[...]one would think that Disney would want to present their works is as good a condition as they possibly can. [...]

Well, maybe they believe themseves that this is the best it looks, by degraining, altering etc.