Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Dracula (1979) gets a Japanese Bluray release!!

(it says HD remastered)

72131_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-Blu-ray/72131/

I wonder if it will be the theractrical version (in 2.35:1, I hpoe!) or the "colour-corrected" version to conform to John Badham's original look for the film? Either way, Gil Taylor did a great job!

Dracula (1979) gets a Japanese Bluray release!!

(it says HD remastered)

72131_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-Blu-ray/72131/

I wonder if it will be the theractrical version (in 2.35:1, I hpoe!) or the "colour-corrected" version to conform to John Badham's original look for the film? Either way, Gil Taylor did a great job!

hmmm.. I'm afraid the amazon page, says 1.78:1!!

I hope it's wrong information!

i don't think there would be an isolated score track.

Only The Fury has I think, and that's because the complete score exists in cd.

Do you think that someone could get the licence for the complete Dracula score on the Bluray, without it having been released as a soundtrack?

Oh, I'd kill for that!

What region is the Japanese Blu-Ray, or is it region-free?

Some Blurays of the same company that i saw, are either Region free or Region A.

well, if it's being released in Japan, I'm sure it will come to other countries too..

But the ideal would be to have the original aspect ratio, isn't it? which is 2.35:1

by the way, one of my favourite films gets a UK bluray treatment, but with one of the ugliest covers! :eek:

75727_large.jpg

I rememeber Dracula being pretty much an awful film. So dry, Langella was inadequate, only Kate Nelligan excelled. John wrote a nice score but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Also some great news, for those who love PREDATOR:

As it seems, we'll be getting a new scan on Bluray! I hope this time they've done it right after the UHE fiasco!!

@FinnAtFox Hi, i just read that Predator is getting a new remaster for the 3d blu-ray, any chance for a 4k scan? Greetings from Germany :-)

James Finn @FinnAtFox 22 Ιουλ

@Orville89 new remaster for Blu-ray 3D that also come with a new master on Blu-ray. Out in December.

don't care, I'm not buying another.

but but you can get it in UHD!!!

But the ideal would be to have the original aspect ratio, isn't it? which is 2.35:1

by the way, one of my favourite films gets a UK bluray treatment, but with one of the ugliest covers! :eek:

75727_large.jpg

It looks like bad cutouts.

Yes, I paid in the $30 range before Christmas and then gifted the Extended DVD set to my sister. I should have swapped main movie discs because the DVD packaging is attractive but oh well.

I would like that Predator disc.

I welcome a remastered Predator. The first release way too dirty and the Ultimate edition was DNRed to hell

No, that's because it was released on Nick Redman's Twilight Time label. They generally throw in iso scores.

Speaking of the year 1979, still waiting for 1941 to be announced.

I wonder if it would be a film that might fall under SAE's Twilight Time?

1941 has a truly great score. And the movie is literally a blast.

No, that's because it was released on Nick Redman's Twilight Time label. They generally throw in iso scores.

yeah, i know..

but i meant, that even Twilight Time should have to get an approval i guess to release an iso Williams score, of a score that hasn't been released in complete form previously.

it's a mess no doubt but still so fun.

i tried to like it, in the 3 times I've seen it, but I couldn't!

it's a mess no doubt but still so fun.

That classic cast lineup and the rubbernecking excess of it all do make it watchable on an examination level.

you should have seen it in theatre's in 1979. That wonderful Jaws theme, Eddie Deezan, John Belushi, cuz Nancy Allen, Swing Swing Swing, Dub Taylor, Slim Pickens, WENDY JO SPERBER, gosh I need to watch this again.

Spielberg parodying himself (the Jaws intro) was a bit tawdry if you ask me. A bit flash.

1941 is the spiritual brother of Temple Of Doom. Both throw caution to the wind and go for broke.

I disagree. Temple of Doom is an extremely tight and focussed movie actually. It's bloated and undisciplined bombast vs. smart bombast.

Temple of Doom is in my top 10 favourite films of all time!

The opening musical number, the mountain slalom, the elephant trek, the dinner, the sacrifice, the bug tunnel, the mine car chase, the music...!!

the effects in 1941 were some of the best of the era.

I disagree. Temple of Doom is an extremely tight and focussed movie actually. It's bloated and undisciplined bombast vs. smart bombast.

Excuse me while I die laughing! You need to watch raiders for that. Temple of Doom throws in everything but the kitchen sink. The only reason it seems more focused is because it's got a far smaller cast then 1941

You're a blind fool if you don't see how organised its chaos is.

All these years lovin' it eh Steef and you don't even appreciate its skill. You thought you knew why you love it but you don't.

75727_large.jpg

When it was first released in London, it was shown is 70mm. It would be nice to have a 2.20:1 transfer, but, paradoxically, it would like a cropped 2.35:1 film!

If it has indeed that cover, I don't know if i will buy it. Of course, the movie counts, but it's too ugly and I feel embarassed of having a bluray with such a cover.

I'll wait for a US release.

edit: Oh, thank heavens, this must be a temporary one. it says artwork TBC! although I am not sure what "C" stands for. I thought it would be TBD = To be determined

91j0tLTPH7L._SL1500_.jpg

Still amazed how few Blu-Rays of older movie releases use the original, unhampered with art. Why go through the extra expense of doing new cover-art, usually a cheapo Photoshop job while there is artwork already available?

Still amazed how few Blu-Rays of older movie releases use the original, unhampered with art. Why go through the extra expense of doing new cover-art, usually a cheapo Photoshop job while there is artwork already available?

I guess someone in these studios' marketing departments think the new covers will help it sell more, but I think they are mistaken.

It is kind of like when sountracks got expansions by the major labels in the 90s and early 2000s - like Star Wars, Close Encounters, Poltergeist, ET, etc - they all got (usually weird) new artwork. Now that the specialty labels are expanding everything, they always use the original LP artwork. And I think that is what a lot of fans want (what's especially nice is when they include some alternate artwork on the back cover.)

I was glad the Jaws Collectors Edition got the original 1975 artwork, not the one with the new, totally not so scary looking shark.

E.T. probably got a different cover because the OST was still in print? Maye Close Encounters too?