Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yeah mine spans beyond those 3 that I mentioned. Scarily enough, I think I'm getting close to buying all the Criterion titles I've wanted. Can't be more than 5-10 left that I'm actively interested in.

Silence of the Lambs

and

Die Hard.

Those, although I have them on DVD at least. Also The Terminator, which I never bought in any version and therefore haven't seen in 15+ years.

Some of my list of 100:

all the Disney classic animation films

all the Ghibli films

Terminator 1 & 2

Dances with wolves

The Planet of the Apes box

the Star trek original movies box

Titanic

Meet me in St. Louis

Casablanca

Rambo trilogy (the remastered German releases)

Predator (waiting in case the new 3d Bluray features a new 2d transfer too, otherwise will get the first release of 2008 and not the UHE)

etc. etc.

I'm afraid I will get to the point of hoarding. after you get above 500 you're pretty much there.

I'm not a big fan of either version. I hoped that the Redux version would make me see the greatness that so many other people see in it. Well, it didn't. Not that I don't like the film, I'm just not one of its admirers. I always liked The Conversation more, I always thought that one was Coppola's masterpiece ... but it's been ages ago since I've seen that film. I want the Blu-ray!

theconversation_zps576d2fb6.jpg

Alex

The Redux comes from that era in the early 2000's where esteemed directors suddenly released longer "improved" versions. Friedkin for The Exorcist, Coppola with the Redux, Spielberg with E.T. Suddenly classic films were found to be incomplete and lacking according those who made them....

But it was just a fad, brought of by the success of the Star wars SE's I guess. And DVD, which had made the inclusion of deleted scenes popular.

At least Ridley Scott was honest enough to say the theatrical cut of Aliens was the version he favored...

Does anyone still watch deleted scenes on new releases?

Does anyone still watch deleted scenes on new releases?

I do, at least in films that interest me.

Eg. i recently watched the deleted scenes in Willow.

They were quite interesting.

They had this scene with a large piranhas-like fish, but as they said they encountered the same problem with Jaws, and the whole thing wasn't believable at all, so they discarded the scene.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/03/12/willow-fish-boy-deleted-scene

I've only seen the theatrical. I'm always weary of longer cuts.

Some longer cuts are better than the originals: "The Abyss", "Dances With Wolves" to name but two. i wouldn't give you tuppence for any of these "harder" cuts, though. Does any-one really need to see more of the remake of "Total Recall"?

"AN:Redux" has the French plantation scene, and that was its main selling-point.

Alex, "The Conversation" is, indeed a great film. If you can, try to watch the Blu-Ray with the new sound mix by Walter Murch.

I've only seen the theatrical. I'm always weary of longer cuts.

Some longer cuts are better than the originals: "The Abyss", "Dances With Wolves" to name but two. i wouldn't give you tuppence for any of these "harder" cuts, though. Does any-one really need to see more of the remake of "Total Recall"?

Funny, i was just thinking that although I like longer cuts too, and i like Dances With wolves, i don't like certain scenes:

eg. the scene that shows what happens in the fort before Costner arrives. In the theatrical cut it was more mysterious without having these early scenes.

Also, although I prefer the Alien 3 longer cut, I don't like at all the last scene with Ripley. I prefer the theatrical edition for that scene.

I saw "Apocalypse Now: Redux" in theaters back in 2000, and it was an awesome experience. Having never had seen the film before, I didn't have a clue what was "new" and what was old. And that's the thing, this isn't like some other "Extended versions" where they film new scenes, or add new special effects - this is all stuff shot by Coppola at the time he shot everything else. Surely, it's worth watching at least once.

At least Ridley Scott was honest enough to say the theatrical cut of Aliens was the version he favored...

Really? That's fascinating. What role did he play on the film?

I would think a highly evolved being such as yourself would understand presentation.

Really? That's fascinating. What role did he play on the film?

You don't know? He turned down Cameron's script without even reading it!!!

November 5, 2013,

The Right Stuff.

Presented in a beautiful digibook.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11679

I have never seen this film, and I have heard very good words about it. (is this based on true events?)

And I have a thing for digibooks too! :)

More than steelbooks.

They make a Bluray seem so classy and classic!

(Up until now I have Pillow Talk, North by Northwest and E.T.)

edit: Oh, I'm suprised that the standard quality Special features (which are in the DVD) didn't fit in the 50GB Bluray!!

It must be a gay thing. :znaika:

God knows it's clearly not a worthless breeders thing.

Joe, tired of all the pos comments about something being gay. It's a fucking blu ray for christ sakes, it's presented in a book format with extra information, god forbid stupid fks find it pretentious.

Joe who thinks Alex needs to step out of the closet.

what does liking a digibook have to do with sexual preference?

Alex obviously doesn't have any sensible opinion on the subject, so he goes for the predictable, proven responses.

You are gay. So every preference you have regarding film, music, food, clothing, pets, weather is connected to that.....sweety.

So, a straight man just likes plain, unimaginative plastic Blu-ray cases? :mrgreen:

(and if the Bluray discs came wrapped up in a newspaper, it would be even better for them?)