Harry Potter Screening

ocelot

My best friend just went to a Harry Potter screening last night with our mutual friend from David Heyman's company. She didn't like the first film, however she had a blast with this one. The effects are 100 times better and it was just a lot of fun which she thought the first one was lacking.

As for me, I just got a call from my friends to say they are getting "me plus one" to a screening this Saturday or on the 13th. I'll keep you posted and I'll try not to jump up and down too much!!!!!!!!! :) I was giving up hope by this time!!!!!

OK, bye bye bye

me :mrgreen:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect that film to be better than the first.I read a wired article in the newspaper that there's a lot more action and thrills than the first one,and the preview screenings were highly praised by kids(of all ages :mrgreen: )

K.M.

I hope it's a saturday screening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it's on the 13th it's hardly worth talking about, is it? :mrgreen:

Ive re4ad reviews from various screenings and so far all of them say COS is better than the first. One thing that is absolutly consensual is that the effects are much better (probably due to a bigger envolment of ILM in COS than in the 1st film).

Speking of the adult supporting cast, does anyone know about the actress who played Madame Hooch? I read a while back that she was not particularly interested in doing any more of the movies, and was demanding more pay. Has anyone heard anything lately?

Ray Barnsbury

Can we get tickets yet?

I have to co-ordinate with 18 other people for the 15th. We are all going together opening night (whether or not Brian and I see it before)

As it's turning out, I wil probably end up seeing Harry Potter 3 times opening weekend . . .

A few girls from school are going to the movie dressed as Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They invited me, so I'm going as Dumbledore with them right after I see it with my family. Then on Saturday my friends and I are going to watch Sorcerer's Stone at my house, and then see the new movie. So I'm doing my part to help it beat Spider-Man's opening weekend's gross! ;)

Ray Barnsbury

OK, so I checked my email just now and I got it.

David Heyman and Heyday films invites you to a screening blah blah blah

Me plus 1

Wednesday 13th of November (wish it was tomorrow but hey, who's complaining)

Warner Brothers Lot

Screening Room 12 @ 7pm

Just came back from the screening!!!!! It was great! I think my favorites were Hermione, Mcgonagal and especially Moaning Myrtle!!!!!! She was so chemically imbalanced that I was rolling on the floor :) Sprout was also funny in her one big scene!!!! I'm not going to give away anything so I will discuss it with you guys in a just a couple of days. I will say that there is a bunch of music that is John's that is NOT on the CD.

Oh, I nearly forgot the one thing you would all like to know about. David Heyman came out and talked a bit at the begining. He dedicated the screening to Richard Harris and talked a little about him. He said that when he first came to him to sign him on and during the shooting of both films Harris kept bringing up the fact that the first time they met, David peed on him (he was 6 months old). He said that since then he learned to control his bladder better or so he hopes, He also talked about how Richard Harris was funny and a fighter to the end. He was staying at the Savoy in London when they took him to the hospital. They went up and put him on a gurney and brought him down. There were a whole load of people milling about outside the Savoy Grill at the bottom of the Hotel. Harris raised himself just before being put on the ambulance and shouted out "The food did it!" to the people waiting to go into the restaurant. There was a lot more he said but those two things I thought were the funniest. Goodnight and I hope you all enjoy the film as much as I did.

I will say that there is a bunch of music that is John's that is NOT on the CD.

Now that's interesting. Because to me, it seemed that there was hardly any new music in the movie, less than on the CD in fact. What parts are you talking about?

Marian - who thinks the score is very good, but is very annoyed be the heavy abuse of the Stone motif.

:) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I kept hearing so many things not on the CD all over. ALso where was the music from the quiditch match taken from? Is it new? I loved the quiditch match!

I can see where a lot of the music on the CD was drowned out but a lot of the scenes had extended music and I didn't mind the SS motif at all. I thought it worked brilliantly as well as the Chamber of Secrets stuff.. Remember it's all to do with the sort of the same thing... and it's not the stone....!!!

From what I remember, yes, plus the SS theme is also Voldemorts theme. At least it is in the first film. What Marian attributed as the SS theme, is the short Voldemort theme. When you get the Childrens suite, and you get to the Voldemort cue, you hear the SS theme and in the middle it intertwines with his other crawly spidery theme. So, yes, both Voldemort themes were there from what I remember. I have to go see it again friday, really, I was so into it that I didn't pay as much attention to the music as I normally do.

I kept hearing so many things not on the CD all over.  ALso where was the music from the quiditch match taken from?  Is it new?  I loved the quiditch match!

Hmm....what I remember from that cue was taken directly from the same cue in the first score.

I recently watched Philosopher's Stone again and paid attention to the themes. The 3-note motif is ALWAYS used for the Stone. Voldemort has two GREAT themes of his own, and both are used a lot in the first score as well. I really don't see why those weren't used in the second score. Mind you, the cues using the Stone motif are very good, but I'm annoyed by the "misuse" of the theme. (As for JW naming it Voldemort's theme in the suite...I think he's really confusing his themes somtimes)

Marian - who loves Voldemort's original themes.

I never quite figured them out until the last time I saw the movie, but I think one is a You Know Who theme and the other is a Voldemort theme. :( They're related of course, but they are clearly identifiable as two different melodies.

ROTFLMAO Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

It's like saying the brassy fanfare from the starwars main title is a theme, and the middle section with the strings is another.

It's the same theme, just different portions of it, I believe.

The 3 note motif is also Voldemorts theme. I thought it worked fantastic in Chamber, because even if you thought it was the SS theme, in Harry's mind, it's, "oh oh, here we go again, something bad is happening..." So the association with fear and all that is the same. However, it is also Voldemort, I always had it as that in my head. The longer one can be seen as a theme, this shorter one is the repeated Voldemort motif. You couldn't get loud and get the same effect using the other theme, it's too long.

About the Voledmort themes . . . I think that one is for when they talk about him (like Marian said, the You-Know-Who theme), the very low one. And the other, more slithering wicked theme is for Voldemort himself. As for the SS motif, it may be a kind of a mystery/mysterious motif for the Harry Potter series. As the whole mystery revolved around the SS in the first movie, it was associated with that, and maybe now in CoS it's brought back to work with the Chamber theme, for a little variety in the ominous music. I really don't know, since I haven't seen the movie or heard the score, so this is just a thought.

Ray Barnsbury

It's like saying the brassy fanfare from the starwars main title is a theme, and the middle section with the strings is another.

It's the same theme, just different portions of it, I believe.

I think the "middle" section or "bridging music" of many of Williams march like pieces from the late 70's early 80's can be used very well alone as dinstinct sub themes (Most notably Star Wars,Superman,The Raider's March )Very rarely outside of the Main or End Credits are they used right after the principal theme.

I don't want to play the big smartass, but watch the film. The two Voldemort themes (ok, it may be one theme consisting of two parts, but both parts have a distinctive meaning) are for talking about Voldemort/You Know Who (i.e. Voldemort as perceived by those who are terrified of him and want to know as little of him as possible) and the "actual" Voldemort/Voldemort as perceived by Harry. And I can't help it, the Stone motif is always associated with the Stone in the movie.

:) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Ray, a mystery theme is another way to put it.

Marian, I have a friend who hasn't seen it and wants to before going to see the other one, so I'll pay attantion to what you are saying the next time I see it.

Marian, I have a friend who hasn't seen it and wants to before going to see the other one, so I'll pay attantion to what you are saying the next time I see it.

I hope you make him read the books first if he hasn't already done so! :)

Marian - NOT playing the COS CD right now for a change.